Working at hy-vee — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about hy-vee pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at hy-vee

From Des Moines, Spirit Lake, Storm Lake — 01/14/2010

I worked for Hy-Vee for 9 years starting out as a cashier / janitor. The pay was what you can expect for a 16 year old new employee but was quickly given a raise every six months after I started. The company is very willing to train you in other areas of the store and within the first year I was working in Customer Service and in the pharmacy. They were also willing to give me a additional raise for my efforts. After more training I was offered a position in the meat department and deli and worked there until I graduated High School. I found out how much the company cares about its employees when one night I ran my hand through the meat slicer and was rushed to the hospital, my boss quickly drove to the hospital to make sure I was ok and the store was willing to work with me until I healed, even offering me back pay for time lost as a part time (almost unheard of) I continued working through college and after graduation was awarded a position as assistant manager. While the hours were bad it is to be expected for entry level management level. After a year of this I was promoted as a department head in the deli department which I had worked for 5 years prior. What a great job this was, all day hours and you picked when you worked. I will admit you are expected to work long hours but they are willing to be flexible and if you are trying they are very understanding if you do not meet a sales goal. I loved Hy-Vee and had to quit in order to go back to school but I miss it to this day. You will love the people you work with and I have many friends that I can thank Hy-Vee for. If you are willing to work with the company and actually ask for the chance to advance they will help you out. If you sit back and expect it then why would you ever expect to advance. If you want part time work this is about the best company you can work for, very flexible and there are always people willing to take a shift or give one up if you need a day off or are looking for hours. Dont be afraid to work here you will be happy

From Pella — 04/23/2009

I have read some of the comments about cutting staff and making money. Perhaps some of you should start your own business. Hy-vee is not in business for their health. Like every other business they must make a profit or they can't pay people. The managers are supposed to be able to make money for Hy-Vee that is their job.

I work part time for Hy-Vee and I love it. I owned a small business and worked my arse off so my employees could make more than I did. You can advance at Hy-Vee if you want to work. You might have to move, but the opportunity is there. Hy-Vee rewards those who bring assets to the table. If you have figure out how to help the company be more efficient, make more money etc. they will reward you. If you want to whine and complain about your job, then you will hate every employer you ever have and BTW - no one will want to hire you.

Are there incompetent managers - you bet. Are there incompetent managers in every business - yes. Get over it. I work with some managers that I wonder how they manage to get dressed every morning. But I also work with a some really great people/managers. People who have been in the "business world", as if selling food is not a business, who have picked Hy-Vee on purpose. Managers work 45 hours a week. That's it. If you want to work more you can. Who in business works only 45 hours? Really. Talk about leaving stress behind. If you want to have a balance between family life and job 45 hours is a slacker job.

Here is what I really think...the American workforce is a bunch of whiners. It was hard for me to find good help when I owned a business. People don't want to work. They are lazy. If you don't mind working, if you have just a few brain cells operating at full speed, if you can make yourself an asset - Hy-Vee needs you. They are experiencing a shortage of them. They will reward you hard work.

From Galesburg,IL — 03/26/2009

They keep cutting our hours and Hiring More People!

From Shawnee, Kansas — 01/07/2009

After reading all the reviews on here I couldn't help but comment. I've worked for Hy-Vee for many years and can honestly say that a lot of the comments posted on here are very true.....to some degree. No job is perfect, there are always people you don't like and tasks that you hate. But chosing a career in retail and then complaining about long hours, rude customers and having to work holidays is a clear sign of being in the wrong profession. I personally like working for Hy-Vee. The store that employs me has a great staff and a lot of great customers who shop every week which keeps us all employeed. Personally, I'm greatful that I work for such a strong company in this ecomony. Not a lot of people have the job security that a Hy-Vee employee has.

From IA — 07/13/2008

There's a lot of negative stuff here about Hy-Vee, and I can say that from working all levels, from pt stocker to assistant manager, as well as working in the corporate office, you'll be hard pressed to find a better company to work for. As far as holidays and things of that nature, of course you are going to work a majority of them, this is after all Retail.

If you don't like weekends and holidays, find another line of work, but as anyone in retail will tell you, those are the money-makers.

Also speaking from personal experience, just because you've gotten the shaft at one store, please, don't let that speak for the company as a whole. I've been there. There are directors and managers who are only out for themselves, but those are a rarity.

With over 220 stores, there are opportunitys out there, yes you may have to relocate, but you will never be FORCED to. Every position is posted company wide, and you must apply (meaning you are willing to relocate (if needed.)

I've been there seven years, and there's been some rough patches, but I stepped out of management for three years, tried a few different things, and after 'getting out' so to speak, I now know that unless I want to go to either coast, I'm not going to find a better grocery chain to work for.

From mason city iowa — 05/31/2008

Working in the Deli part time, I can say it has been a good experiance. The only thing I don't like is that all the differant departmnets seem to compete with each other. It's like who can make the most sales! I can't force anyone to by from my dept. just like any body else can from theres. And with the ecomomy the way it is, nobody is buying much of any thing anymore.