Working at Humana — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Humana pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Humana

From Cincinnati, Ohio — 12/24/2009

Overall a good experience so far. The leadership seems to care about me and my development. They value my input and provide feedback. The health benefits are not the greatest but they have saved my family from financial chaos so I don't have to much to complain about. Good people to work with...I would recommend it.

From Miramar FL — 12/02/2009

I LOVED working for Humana! Being lic and trained was the best thing ever to happen to me! I loved the people I worked with, Pay and Location. I had to move and left on good terms with my Sup and Manager. They assured me if I wanted to come back I could. 3 months later I came back, thinking I'd get my job back. I was Lic and Certified, and they were hiring. But they never took me back. Once you work and leave..thats it. Although they do choose who they will take back, like certain Supervisors. The funny thing is I got hired by another call center specifically for the Humana background and guess who came to train us? Yes..my old Sup, so they told me to re-apply and come back! funny.
It's great but once you lose this position..you won't get it back!

From phoenix,AZ — 09/24/2009

This is probably the best company I have ever worked for!!! They care about their employees and are not out to "get you" for every little thing. They have now started a work at home program so as far as location, if you work hard and get into this program, location wont matter. 3 words.....WORK FOR THEM!

From Louisville, KY — 07/21/2009

Good place to work.

From Orlando, Fl — 08/04/2008

Company provides opportunity through the insurance industry but does not provide all the tools to be successful. Hiring process is inadequate due to lack of management training. Heavily spanish management which tends to hire spanish friends in a enlish environment.

From Louisville, KY — 08/01/2008

Pay: Good pay and I will say that when I was offered a raise it was clear and to the point.

Respect: I think the only negative was a supervisor who would spout off in front of everyone, without understanding what the conversation was about. Dressing people down in public is inappropriate supervision, much less when you're not sure of the context. Other than that, I think everyone was told when they were doing well, and problems were dealt with quietly and privately. Also, we had monthly reports that explained where we were doing well and where we needed help. I never felt like I was swimming out there on my own, hoping that it was OK.

Benefits: Yeah, umm, this is why the company is making money. This is some of the worst insurance I've ever had. Alanis: look this up. This is actual irony.

Job Security: We felt safe. They had no problem getting rid of people, but I will argue, that they did do a good job of deciding who had to go. They knew the difference between a slow learner and a no learner. They knew the problems with a negative person who came into a new job that way.

Work/Life Balance: Lots of overtime offered but not shoved on your head.

Career Potential/Growth: Large company, seemed OK.

Location: I wanted to say spectacular, but I wonder if the building I worked in, a terrific ten story building on the river with historic photographs and a beautiful kinetic sculpture, was not what they call a "sick" building. If you drank coffee, little white plumps would float down into it. Everyone coughed. I think they did as much as they could, on the surface.

Co-Worker Competence: It was a tough job. I think everyone had a learning curve, even after they were in the job.

Work Environment: Oversight without embarrassment. Supervisors came around daily to see how you were doing. Didn't like when people came around though in the government and suddenly you couldn't listen to your mp3. Why is that? I do my work well. I bet the Senator knows it. Have him tap on my shoulder. I don't have cooties.

From Louisville, KY — 07/21/2008

The pay is decent, but the real opportunity is in career growth. Healthcare is a hot industry, and Humana is the most interesting and innovative company in it. Worklife balance is decent, and Louisville is a nice enough place to live, but it is very small-town (that can be pro or con depending on your perspective). At senior levels, people can treat each other pretty badly, and there is not a lot of respect given to the employees (i.e., strict dress code - we don't trust you to dress appropriately, and incredibly restricted internet access - we don't trust you not to screw around when you're supposed to be working).

From Louisville, KY — 06/10/2008

I have worked at Humana for a year in the customer service department. Basically I answer calls from Medicare members. One thing I can say about Humana is the pay is very competitive. For the position I started in I made well above what I would consider the average. The initial training was decent. It's located in downtown Louisville which is not the greatest for me since it is a 45 minute commute every morning, but they do provide relatively cheap parking. The building itself is in decent condition and the cubicles are, well cubicles. Getting office supplies is easy and they have made an effort to have decent computers for our department. We all got new widescreen monitors recently also. They also have break rooms, the cleaning staff is good, and they have free coffee. They do have a gym downstairs with reasonable rates.

So those are the good points, here are the bad. First of all, as another reviewer said, when you get raises is not very clear, and even repeated discussions with management cannot resolve this issue. My boss told me that he did not know when or if I would get a raise, even after doing the APAT which is what is supposed to measure employees to see how much of a raise they are getting. I've had a lot of difficulty getting access to certain computer programs that I need. Repeated requests to management have been ignored.

The benefit plan is just bad. The only plans that they have available are high deductible health plans. In these plans you must pay at least a $2000 deductible before you will get any coverage. Of course, once you meet that you are covered at 100% but the likelyhood of a person without some health issues getting there is pretty slim. I paid out of pocket for all my medical care last year. Thankfully I wasn't sick much.

One thing that I was not told by Humana when I signed on was that I would be unable to apply to a different department for a year. I was upset when I found that out because I would have thought much harder about taking the position had I known I would be locked in for a year. Now my year is up and they are talking about freezing any movement from the call center. I just don't think that you treat your workers that way. I can understand being short-staffed but I think that the way to resolve that is to offer incentives for workers to stay, not to penalize those who are getting burned out on the job and would like to go elsewhere in the company.

My final complaint is about management. Of course, this may be just my area, but it's been terrible. My first manager left on maternity leave and never came back. However, while she was on leave we were left basically unsupervised except for our team lead. There were multiple managers that were supposed to be taking care of our team's issues but noone really wanted to step up to the plate. After all, with us not being their team it didn't matter how well we do. After that our team was split up and I was placed under a new manager who never, and I mean never, responds to email. If you want help on an issue you have to confront him and frankly I only get two fifteen minute breaks and thirty for lunch...I don't have time to go to his office all the time. My new team lead is about as bad. It's obvious that she wants to do as little work as possible and honestly, she doesn't care about the members. She also does not want you to document anything she instructs you to do in their accounts.

So I don't know, it has good points and bad points. I'm still with Humana but I must be honest that I am looking elsewhere.

From Troy, MI — 02/19/2008

Pay improved signioficantly over small Michigan company but then Humana is national. Total respect of team mates and best boss ever. A great management team primed for success.

From Louisville, KY — 01/29/2008

I work from home, so I can't say much about the work environment or location, but this company has treated me very well. The headquarters building and others I have visited are very nice. They have a great cafeteria. The dress code is more fancy than I would like, and usually you have to donate money to charity to be able to wear jeans. But they have many work-from-home jobs where you can obviously wear whatever you want. The pay is higher than I ever imagined, and the benefits are quite good. The health insurance coverage isn't as good as I had hoped it would be for myself, but I guess that is a problem with most companies these days. The paid time off employees are given is quite good, although the culture is such that sometimes people do not take the paid federal holidays they are given. With only a few exceptions, managers in my section of the company are very good. They are down-to-earth, sensitive, competent, supportive, respectful, and appreciative. I believe I have as much job security as a person can reasonably expect and that there is potential for advancement. This is the first job I've ever had (and there have been many) where I honestly feel good about what I do and feel adequately treated, paid, and appreciated. I highly recommend this company as an employer.