Working at HSBC — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about HSBC pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at HSBC

From Buffalo, NY — 04/29/2009

I've been with HSBC nearly 10 years after working at other financial institutions, and I have been treated much better here that at those other places, interms of pay, benefits, etc. Work / life balance is excellent here, and working from home is encouraged in my department. The only negative is the limited opportunity for advancement, but a willingness to travel and relocate would probably increase those opportunities.

From Buffalo, NY — 02/15/2009

I have now worked for HSBC as a Customer Service Representative (CSR for short, really a bank teller) for about a year. Coming into the job I had heard alot of negative things about the job, and they turned out to be mostly false.

I am not a disgruntled worked, and I do not plan on staying with the company forever, I have no incentive or reason to exaggerate about the job and my experience.

Probably the worst thing about HSBC, as is true with all banks is that one mistake can cost you your career. For example as a teller, if you accidentally give a customer a couple hundred too much money, you are likely fired, if you cause a loss (by not verifying someone ID, making a mistake, or causing the bank to get fined) you are held accountable. There are plenty of mistakes that are very easy to make, and not everyone can catch them. If you are one who isn't vigilant, you won't do well at all. There are alot of verifications that you need to make for something as simple as cashing a check. If you are smart, you can pull it off easily.

Alot of people seem to complain about the need to "sell sell sell." It's true, your job is contingent on you being able to get people to open new accounts, add to their existing deposits, or upgrade their accounts. If you can't sell, you won't do well. The role of the teller isn't limited to transactions, you have hard goals to meet - the good news you can easily make $75 a month in commissions, the bad, if you don't make your goals consistently, you will be on the chopping block in no time. It's not for everyone - if you can't sell or you can't take the pressure to ensure that you aren't causing losses, don't even bother apply.

It doesn't bother me, I love my job!

Pay - The starting wage where I live (Buffalo suburbs, relatively low cost of living) is $11.50/hr for full time or part time. As a part time college student this is far more than I could make elsewhere, most of my peers make $8-10/hr.

Respect - I can't say much here, I have never had a problem, my superiors are very nice as are my co-workers.

Benefits - Health insurance coverage isn't very good, but for a student like me the perks are amazing. They offer tuition reimbursement after 1 year of work, if you work full time they pay 100% of the tuition up to ~$5000, part time they cover 75%. Their 401K plan is amazing; they contribute 6% of your total paycheck so long as you deduction 4%; the matching contribution only kicks in after a year of work.

Job security - Not great. As I explained above, you can get fired at any time - but not without just cause.

Work/Life balance - Probably where they are the worst. It is bankers' hours of course, so no nights or weekends, but you do need to be very available; if I worked full time it would be OK, but given that I work part time, it kind of stinks that I can very rarely get 3 straight days off.

Career potential - It's a bank, I'm on the bottom, I can only go up. However, it see few people make it very high up, but there are few people high up, so it makes sense. If you are good, you can make a good living and get some good promotions on the way.

Location - I work 3 minutes drive from work, and there are HSBC branches everywhere in Buffalo. I had to train about a 40 minute drive away, so I will only give it a 3, since you will sometimes be required to make short work-related trips.

Co-worker competence - Its kind of the law of natural selection since incompetent people get fired. My co-workers are generally quite smart and knowledgeable.

Work environment - It gets stressful from time to time, but I enjoy what I do I can't complain at all.

From Carmel, Indiana — 10/11/2008

I worked at the sales call center in Carmel, Indiana for 2.5 years and I absolutely loved it. There were plenty of times that I hated it, but overall it was a very positive experience. We had over 500 people in our building: sales, collections, IT, underwriting, upper management, etc. and all of them interacted with each other and were friendly. I loved my managers and they were very accommodating about time off and rearranging my hours. Of course, this could all be due to the fact that I was one of the highest earning salespeople there. I feel they definitely rewarded those who excelled: I won trips to Miami and Paris France in addition to being asked to attend the Town Hall meetings. Even though our commission structure was adjusted as the market declined, I think we were justly compensated. While I was employed there I was angry about this but being at another job now I see how great our pay was. The benefits were amazing. I wish I was still there and I am sure I would be if the entire office had not shut down. Those that showed interest in moving up were encouraged to take additional classes at the center and read books and fill in for managers. I think that was kind of just a way to push us off their backs and appease us for the time being. I wanted to be an underwriter and while I was not allowed to switch departments, my managers did give me additional responsibilites to pre-underwrite for my team and I was the only one on the team that had the underwriting guidelines and exceptions book. I do have one major complaint though: the HR department here was a JOKE. They ran their mouths about issues people came to them with that should have stayed private. When I had an issue with them, they basically tried to make me feel as if it were my fault. One of them made inappropriate sexual comments and played nasty jokes on several managers and was later fired for this. HA!

From Mettawa, IL — 09/03/2008

Pay is good, but nothing spectacular.

The culture is good and somewhat laid back at the corporate level relative to other places I have been but they get things done. There is a lot of respect if you are good and everyone is really friendly. Benefits, pretty decent.

Job security sucks now because they lost a few billion because of the sub prime mortgage crisis.

The company does have a lot of potential for growth in many sectors. It's all about what you put in and what you show.

The only main gripe I have is the location is AWFUL. It's in Mettawa, IL which is a far north suburb of Chicago. Most people drive at least 1 hour to get to work, so have something fuel efficient if you plan on working here.

Co-workers are pretty good, but high level managers are generally excellent since they are mainly recruited from great consulting firms.

The work environment is great since it's a new building.

Overall, great company.