Working at Horizon Transport Inc — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Horizon Transport Inc pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Horizon Transport Inc

From Wakarusa IN 46573 — 10/01/2009

I did towaways and yes to make money you had to keep hauling and to it right. I did 190000 miles in 17 months with 124000 safety miles that is with a trailer.; My wife quit her job and all the bills still got payed. You do have dead head miles but so do a lot of the 18 wheelers. The only thing about Horizon that I didn't agree with was that they had way to many drivers year round. Yes in the Spring and early summer they needed them but they would keep bring on more drivers through the Winter months when things were slow. I will being going back when I retire were I will not have to spend so much time out on the roads.

From Wakaruse, IN — 09/30/2009

I've delivered motor homes for Horizon for over five years. Most of the problems I have had were due to my own stupidity. I know working for them will never make me rich $$ wise. But, I have had an opportunity to see 49 states and most of Canada. My wife has enjoyed going with me on occasion and she really enjoys it when I get out of the house for a week or so. I do have a tow car, but only take it with me about 10 per cent of the time. Most of the time I travel from load to load by using Amtrak.

I am retired and I am in no rush to go anywhere.

I think this would be a tough job for a person with kids at home. You would really have to work your butt off to make enough to take care of them, let alone not being home most of the time.

I annualize each load. And I expect to net 30-50 percent of the gross on average.

Horizon is a fair company, they are not in the business to loose money and if they do, I will not be working with them for long. If you don't have the stones to work for yourself and control your expenses this not the place to hang your hat. Go get a 9 to 5 with weekends off. I like it here and don't pay much attention to whiners. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Next week I might change my opinion.
srh
sombody@yahoo.com

From wakarusa, indiana — 01/07/2009

Please do not sign on with this company. They have no respect for you as a contractor or as a person. It doesn't matter what your background is, you will be treated and talked to as if you were a prison inmate. The plan of this type business is to use you until you have lost everything and then move on to another sucker. Why do you think they have continous recruiting with new contractors every week?

If you want to use your truck to earn a living then there are several other options, but stay away from the RV delivery business, and especially Horizon.

From wakarusa in — 11/20/2008

you are a contractor when you pull for this company, no benefits,no security,when it comes time to delease your truck from them you have to fight to get your damage deposit back, my advice is never talk to anyone there but the owner of company.this is the only way to get things handled properly. most of the staff does not seem to care about anyone but themselfs

From Wakarusa, IN — 11/18/2008

This is a great company. I find them fairer than most. Up front and honest with you. The Safety Dept. is the best in the business, especially the compliance manager. The Claims Manager has a strange personality, but is fair. Great staff and drivers.

From Wakarusa Indiana — 11/07/2008

I have worked for this company for several months and have found them a little disturbing. I was told about his company from a friend of mine and at the time he was very pleased about the company. Good money, his wife was able to be with him and no time restraints on time off. You want to take 2 weeks off in Florida or some place warm...take it off then find a load to a destination of your choosing (within reason). I bought a truck and all the gear I was required to have to start working for them. Drove out from the west coast to Wakarusa Indiana for orientation with a promise of a load back home. They put me through the class and yes I got a trailer going home. Never had anything go bad with them until I had someone hit my trailer. I was in the right and the guy was in the wrong. Instantly, I lost all my safety miles and $1000 deposit. The one thing I can say is that the safety manager was on my side, although I have spoken to many drivers that say he is quick to blame them for the incident. I had a fair experience with him, but felt screwed when I lost both the safe miles and money without an explanation. You won't make tons of money here, but if you and your significant other wish for quality time and you can afford to both be out on the road, this is the place to be. Also, if you are going to do this, don't purchase a new truck and make sure the payments are going to be those that you can afford if you don't work at all that month! There are loads, but when it gets slow, it gets very slow... It is not a perfect company and I will be one of the first to admit it! But really, I have been with worse. Be prepared to work with some nasty people (not necessarily Horizon Staff). I have made several deliveries to companies and you are the one they vent on. You have to have tough skin and just let them call you names and insult you and your mom. In 15 min or 2 hours it will not matter anymore, you will be on the road watching the beautiful surroundings pass by. As for the lady at the gate in Wakarusa...Ya, she does need some assistance! Quick to snap and is very vocal about it to everyone within ear shot. Log Book Nazi... I admit, some of the things he dings me on are petty... but that is ok too! I just sign my review and I am done dealing with him too. Randy and Brent are AWESOME for dispatchers. Brian in Pendleton is Awesome too! Jade has his buddies, but he is fair in someways too! Overall, the staff is pretty good. Some policies need to be revised! You just have to understand that they are going to feed you anything they can to get you on and you have to take some of what is said with a grain of salt! No company is perfect...that includes this one, but it could be worse! You could be home without a job or have an 8 to 5 job with a boss you have to call in the morning to fake being sick when you want the day off. It is your choice how far you want to drive and where. Nobody has a gun to your head making you drive where it is snowing or icy. If you need the money, then that might just be what you have to do. On occasion, I have been called to do the "sucker" run. Drive 100 miles to pick up a trailer that is going 50 miles and paying .58 per mile. Normally, we don't move those until the pay goes up, but you will be remembered for helping out and the next load is usually decent.