Working at Honda of America Mfg., Inc — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Honda of America Mfg., Inc pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Honda of America Mfg., Inc

From Marysville, Ohio — 04/21/2010

I worked in several maintenance departments at Honda Marysville, better known to employees as HAM. I retired after 20+ years.
Everything Honda said it was going to do for me, IT DID! Sure everyone wishes their retirement check was larger but in reality I have absolutely no complaints. Honda expected me to work and they paid me for what I did. In fact they paid me extremely well. I had unlimited opportunities and I actually used some of them.
Honda is not just a good company - it is a great company. When the economy went south we were called into a meeting and told "while you were never formally promised a job without layoff - that underlining premises was always present. Your employment was based on Honda supplying a pay check and medical benefits and you supplying your services, and those concepts remain. No one will be laid off."
In this day and age how many companies can make that statement or even anything close to it.
Honda is a great company and I hope that it never changes. I hope that it is supplying the same great cars and opportunities for other Americans as it gave to me.

From Anna — 04/03/2010

The previous poster seems to focus solely on the negative (if you want to call it that). Appearently they have not been watching the news and the economy and feels that anyone not on the floor is useless. Let me clear up a few things, your right, everytime a third party gets involved in our benefits, the associate gets screwed. I am a level 3 and I disagree with the "lowest bid wins" mindset our benefits group uses, but I will tell you that our benefits far and above exceed the best our suppliers have. People not on the floor dont have all the free time you think, they have job duties that they have to preform and are not "just sitting on their asses". Average pay for a line associate when you consider benefits, heap payment, and profit sharing is well above even most union automakers. Just because you have to take some responsibility for your health-if it is that bad just go on the passive. You dont have to do anything but show up to work, I have been with this company for 27 years. I have seen it when we didnt get any profit sharing, didnt have credit unions or service centers, you have no idea the benefits we have that many would kill to get. Loose the negativity and focus on the positive, you have a job, it is safe and your paid very well.

From Raymond, OH — 11/28/2009

Most everyone's comments are correct below. You have to want to work here, but it is a good job. The experience acquired at a young age is unheard of elsewhere in the automotive industry. If you get an offer, take it. But remember, we don't make racecars, an SUV is not a sedan, and Honda is conservative.

From marysville — 04/22/2009

Overall, this company is dealing well in a difficult time and industry.
Pay is good and better pay security than most auto companies. Benefits are excellent when you compare the full package. Growth opportunit is good and factor in the economic situation it is great. Management is fair, tough times to be in that job. Co workers seem to be getting better and supporting the company more. My family is local, so location was great for us, but maybe a little hard for newbies from out of the area. Overall rating is an A. Thanks Honda, the associates appreciate your leadership and support.

From Anna — 01/03/2009

Well slim if you have been at Honda for 27 years and have the attitude you do I bet your one of the few that slipped through the cracks and needs weeded out. If you wnat to complain about having job security, good health benefits, and the potential to be whatever you want then go ahead. No I was not a backstabber, I did get backstabbed by jackoffs like you though, but as the old saying goes, the cream rises to the top. With your grammer issues, spelling errors, and the length of time you SAY you have worked at Honda, either your a poser, or an absolute worthless piece of idiot crap.

From Anna , Ohio — 12/12/2008

Well buddy I have been at Honda for 25 years and your right about one thing, you only know a little about Honda. Career growth limitation is unlimited, you set your own ceiling, the only thing holding you back is your attitude and actions. I know, I wasn't the best associate but was given opprotunities and took advantage of them, now I have reached all goals I have set. Look around you, everyone laying off, those working paying for some if not all of their benefits. All we have to do is take care of ourselves, go to the doctor, treat your health like you should and your in the active program. There is not a plan to replace full time with contract or temps, know you facts before you run your mouth. I will tell you what, if it is that bad step aside and let one of the thousands of applicants step in and do your job (probably better than you can do). I get tired of reading and hearing people like you complain about what you think you should have, you have no concept of what others are going through right now in this economy. I have an idea, when you walk in the plant on Monday and scan in, put a smile on your ungrateful face - you are one of the lucky people who has job security.

From Marysville, Ohio — 12/07/2008

The pay is decent, our core is manufacturing, which is a very cost competative area of business.

Respect for the individual is preached, and I believe it is praticed. If you work hard and are competent, you are respected.

Our benefits have always been great, although the company is trying to cut costs. You have to keep this in context, we don't have to pay for our benefits, and that is becomming very rare these days. We also still have a pension, thats becomming rare also.

I consider job security to be great when compared to other companies. We have never had a mass layoff. With the current economic meltdown, this will surely be tested.

Career potential and growth is OK. We are not in a high growth mode, and not everyone can be the chief. We don't have a lot of turnover.

I like the location, easy to get to and near a great city, Columbus, Ohio!

Work environment OK. If you are comparing it to only to other manufacturing plants, it's a great work environment.

From Ohio — 11/14/2008

Pay - GREAT, just look at the economy and know we are lucky to have a job at Honda

Benefits - best in the industry

Job Security - EXCELLENT - just ask the 6.5% of unemployed americans if they would like to be lucky enought to be at an employer that is NOT laying off its associates.

Work life balance and environment is good, its a hard time out there folks, lets work hard to make sure we keep the benefits and environment we have made so strong here at R&D,

Location - okay

Co-workers, other than those who complain for no reason on here it is good. Some are better than others but everyone has a different idea and your voice is heard.

Let me take this moment to say THANK YOU HONDA for keeping us employed, paid well, benefits flowing, concern of our work and life balance.

Lets work hard to win in this bad environment and make sure we all keep our jobs.

For those who say Union..why not talk to a member of Ford or GM and ask them what the heck the union is doing for them except taking there dues and getting them laid off by the thousands.

From torrance, ca — 08/04/2008

Honda is conservative in hiring practice. They are of traditional Japanese values, which are different from that of US companies. Until you understand the culture, you may have some culture shock. Respect previals if you are a contributor and do your job. To my knowledge this company has never had a lay-off. They value employees and do not wish to be known as an axe company. They have a fair review policy. They strive for continuous improvement. The job/temp allows Honda flexibility to obtain additional staffing when necessary. Honda has many team sports and workout areas. They are an equal opp. employer. They are proud to have manufacturing plants in the US to provide quality to the job market whereby they have consumers, they are providing jobs to the country that purchases their product. There is high growth potential. They will promote from within if you have the skillset for another position. Like most auto manufacturers they believe in relocation to experience different parts of the market. There is a balance at work with the facilities and frequent picnics, training seminars, holiday parties for the whole family as well as adult associates only. The location is close to freeways, in a safe area not too far from the beutiful Pacific Ocean.

From Marysville, OH — 03/29/2008

Although not what it used to be, HAM is still a great company to work for. You would hate to complain about the pay, but after the benefit changes it's not what it used to be, and the bonus sharing is going to drop too. There are problems, but there are great people who work there, HAM associates are the best in the auto world and that really is Honda's secret weapon. Job security is as good as you'll find, despite recent events. No growth potential really. The company tries to make it a good place to work.