Working at Home depot — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Home depot pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Home depot

From IL — 10/26/2007

I have worked for this company for many years and can tell you things have changed for the worse. The morale is gone and employees are no longer proud to say they work for this company. Bob pretty much screwed his employees over while taking a big chunk on his way out. From upper management to the associates on the floor, Anyone that has worked there and does work there knows how much trouble this company is in . Home Depot is on the verge of losing the employees that keep the good customers (not the customers who want to bleed us dry for discounts, lousy reasons for markdowns, unreasonable demands, etc.) coming back for repeat business. I know for a fact that many customers will only come to certain stores and talk to certain employees because they will get treated with respect. Too bad Home Depot usually pisses these great employees off so that leave off to a better career.....

From New York — 10/16/2007

The biggest problem in Home Depot is the pay. A lot of people donít know it, but some employees at Home depot are doing quite well for the retail industry. For example while a cashier might make 9.75 an hour, an employee in one of the trade areas like appliances or Kitchens might make as high as 20 dollars on hour. The problem is unless you can negotiate the salary the day you start at the company, your raise will be no more than inflation. Thatís when the problems starts when someone has been there 5 years and then finds out someone else who just walked in is making 5 dollars more an hour than you. People get pissed off big time which leads to problems and low morale with in the departments due to the pay disparity.

Some employees are quite rich if they started before 1990, especially if they were in the stock program. There are few of these employees left and the stock really hasnít gotten that much higher so, as much as they tell you the money is in the stock, its not.

Find a sob somewhere else, its not professional and unless you work in corporate your going to get stressed out.

From Glendale, AZ — 01/18/2007

I escaped cashiering and I am now a computer room/bookeeping associate. I have worked at this store for 3 years. My store is an older one so almost everything is old and usually break-down at some point. I'm expected to just knew how to fix them all...it's all learn as you go. I'm amazed as to how much of the programs are still DOS based. I love the people I work with but I am constantly being given new chores. I don't see them as pointless just tedious. And it builds up when you have to work a shift on your own. Being a part-time associate, I haven't had trouble fitting work around my school schedule. And since I was hired before March 06, I can still apply for tuition assistance. Paying for health/dental insurance really eats into my paycheck. Urgent Care isn't covered even with the most expensive plan. I am 23 and in good health so that's the only time I will probably need insurance! It's not a bad company and some ways a very good company. I just missed out on the years when it was great. Perhaps things will get better now that Bob left and we have a new CEO but I don't I want to wait to find out.