Work at Home depot — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Home depot pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Home depot

From Davie, Florida — 03/29/2010

Now that these issues are out in the open, it's time to stop posting all these negative comments and start working towards a solution. I have been at Home Depot for a long time and I have heard negative comments about all of our managers. None of them where/are perfect and all of them had their favorites. John is young but he is willing to learn and work on these issues. He should be given a chance to do so. Be careful what you wish for, you don't know who the next person they may send will be.

From Weston — 03/27/2010

You all need to stop complaining and take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror. It is a job where you are expected to work hard and not slack off. It is not a social gathering but a place for you to earn a paycheck. If you hate it so much, leave and let someone who will appreciate having a job take your spot. You people are nothing but a bunch of cry babies that complain like little kids when you dont get things your way. Grow Up.... You talk about managers not having people skills but what are all of you doing on here by slamming their names and criticisizing them. You call that people skills? For real people, if you dont like it then get out, see if it is any better somewhere else. I know plenty of people in this store who should have been fired but have been given several opportunities. Maybe the managers should just fire and not give opportunities.

From Rochester, NY — 03/25/2010

I see a lot of complaining going on and not much else. A work environment is what you make it. I started with the company at a decent salary, primarily because I know a little bit about what I am worth, including my experience. I do not see so much of this incompetence of DH's that is mentioned here, however there may be some lack of experience in some of them. I find almost everyday that most of the associates are pleasant and sometimes downright cheery. I think if people are so angry or irritated at their job they should look and see what they are doing to improve the condition. It's a job, it's going to be difficult somedays, especially in a retail environment. I've been in the workforce, for about 25 years, and the Home Depot is by far one of the better places and better conditions I've worked in. It's funny how I see people complain because they're not getting paid more, but what they were offered was perfectly fine when they started. Be glad you have a job, one that overall is a pretty good job, that offers benefits, and a good salary if you ask for it up front. I have been wildly successful at the HD, and enjoy my work day about 75% of the time, and I find my coworkers enjoyable to be around. I have made many friends HD, and maybe taking on a DH role in the next few weeks. Because I show up, I do what I can to take care of my customers, I maintain a positive attitude because no matter what is going on in my life, it's not their fault, and I have been recognized and rewarded for all of that and more. Any workplace is what you make it, if you want to be miserable, then that is exactly what you will get.

From Hampton, VA — 01/14/2010

Personally...I very much enjoyed my time with the Company. Worked there for 5 yrs after leaving the military. Had very little problems with manager interference. Spent a few months P/T in plumbing and then was moved to Millwork..and w/in 2 weeks everyone that was in the dept quit over some stupid dispute about who should be the new DH...so here I was..a 4 month employee and the only one in the dept. They provided support and people were cross clocked who had Millwork experience. I started at pay about double minimum wage and averaged $1 a year raises while I was there. Interviewed for DH 1 time...mostly because I was asked by coworkers...but I really didn't want to go that way.

Disagreed with any "mandatory" meetings...unless they scheduled the time...not just "cut your hours to make it". Never went to a non-mandatory. Disagreed with DHs being told "you will participate in this community project"..unpaid. Also disagreed with people being told "you will work overnites for a week to get ready for inventory". Maybe it was just me..but when I said..."No..I was hired for sales...not to count 2X4s"....I never had a problem.

I think maturity and performance are key in any job...and esp in specialty departments at HD. All the people that have posted the bitch and cry info probably aren't either of those.

Granted...all this was 2001-2006...but my local store in another state seems to operate the same way...I see the same faces as I did when I first moved here. I think it has probably improved since the Nardelli days.

From central california — 01/01/2010

Retail has gotten tougher over the last 25 years. In comparison to many of the big box retailers out there, Home Depot is definitely above the rest in many categories. Matching 401K, sick/personal days, employee stock purchase plan, full-time hours are still considered 40 while some retailers are cutting down to 30 or 32, success sharing(bonus for hourly employees) is still offered, benefits offered to part-time employees, and with most retailers try taking vacation or extra days off during the Christmas holidays, but with Home Depot, this is the slow time so taking time off during this time of the year is almost encouraged.
Get a clue people, the biggest controllable expense that a retailer has is salary. So if things are slow, as the home improvement industry the last 2 years, hours get cut. One of the problems with Home Depot, like any retailer with over 100 employees, isn't always the company, but the people working there. They call it work for a reason. Don't stand around talking to other employees, this isn't a social club, get out there and make a difference. Home Depot is not a career for most people , it's a stepping stone or a stop to somewhere else. Make the most of it everyday! The day goes so much faster if you stay busy. Treat the customer how you would like to be treated if you were a shopper here or in another retail store.
And now about management, their job is to manage people, the associates run the store. If employees are passionate about what they do, then management is only their to help guide them or rope them in. The management gets paid to be there longer hours and have keys to the store. There will be favoritism, there will be employees who get away with everything, there will be promotions to people who do nothing and know even less.
People who hate their job should find another one. Life's to short to hate going to work every day. I love going to work at The Home Depot every day , do I love everything about my job, of course not, but its not the job, maybe its an assistant, or a customer, or other employees, but its never the job.

From fort wayne, in — 12/29/2009

good company,bad management at store

From Texas — 11/07/2009

Retail is retail. Having worked a couple different retail companies, this is one of the better of the bunch.

The housr are long. And the management can be a little crazy. You must be aware of the continual threat of a surprise walk from someone and that if the DM gets a hit it is going to happen will demand that the entire managment staff and department managers come ion in two hours and woerk on the store until the walks have passed or until no one shows up. Most often it is the latter. You work for three days round the clock only to have no one show up. It is career limiting to not come in and work these hours on command.

Spring is the crazy season in this business. It is the equivalent of Christmas in regular retail. The pay and benefits are above average in the retai lindustry, the reall thing that makes this a good or bad place to work is the store manager and the diatrict manager you work for.

From melbourne, fl — 09/01/2009

The Home Depot in Merrit Island Florida has a great group. Salary is mostly set by corporate and sucks. Do a good job, get promoted. Pretty simple. Pay still sucks though.

From Los Angelos — 05/31/2009

First and foremost... I have worked both part-time and full time for Home Depot for the past 7+ years and I have great feelings towards the company and sour ones. The pay can be good. If you prove yourself you can certainly be on the "higher end of raises".... depending what the money pool is form year to year. Respect... I ahve now worked in 2 different Home Depot's. Respect from Managers, co-workers and such i think depends on WHO you're working for. I've seen both and the people who don't give a care about you as an employee are mostly not great people overall in life anyway anf think their "upper management job" at HD is the greatest. Benefits... Full time... not bad.... Part time, was better year ago but they still offer PT benefits right now and keep in mind that ALOT of places do not. Job security: Simple: prove yourself, show up, do your job and you most likely won't have anything to worry about. Work Life balance: i guess depends on your life. If you're making outrageous requests then what do you expect? Career potential: if WANT to become a depatrtment supervisor or ASM or even a Store manager than speak up... if not then you may just be passing by with a Home Depot position to kill time and get a paycheck which is fine. If you want to grow, you can. Co-worker competance... no one is perfect and there are lemons in ever bunch and great knowledgeable people as well. Work environment: YOU WORK IN A WAREHOUSE..... you don't have to wear heels or 3 piece suits but you might get a little dirty and have to deal with a customer or two.... it's retail, enough said.
NOW.... as a 7+ year employee imagine becing told they cannot "transfer you" from another store because "they" took too long to get you back into the system so they must hire you at a rate of pay LOWER than what you first started at because of a "technicality"?. Pretty ridiculous. Home Depot is supposed to take care of their associates but in this case.... they've failed. All I can say is... well HD.... you'e paying me an insulting rate after i made a pretty good rate and... you get what you pay for = )

From San Antonio — 04/05/2009

the pay is ok 8.00 an hour but thats been the same for about one year. Im a speacilist and i know i should be getting paid WAY more.
At my store we just went through a "sweep", managers let about 8 people go even people who have been there for 4 years. I work with a lot of nice people and some plain ass bitches. fyi: if your pretty some girls are going to try to make you quit. it sucks but its true. Managers are really nice but just one is freakin lazy. cust can be stressful at times but thats how it goes. I just want a pay raise!