Working at Home depot — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Home depot pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Home depot

From san jose, ca — 10/07/2010

The pay is pretty good for retail. But the politics is horrible. Plus managers are never on the same page, and when you bring that up it's your fault.

From pa — 07/19/2010

I have worked the Home Depot for a bit. I find our store to be an awesome place to be. The managers are very respectful and appreciative of their employees. I dont hear other employees complaining much about their Depts. All around it is a great place. There are days that are good and those that are bad. But most are good.

I worked in construction for over 20 years prior to coming here. So i have a great knowledge of preactically everything in the store. This helps me i know. I have recieved homers and legandaries because of this knowledge.

I think alot of the people that complain so much outside of the bad management they might be used to. are those who have no knowledge of the construction industry. Why get a job at a business where you know nothing about it. I would get a job at a hair salon because i know nothing about it. Workwhat you know not what you feel you should be taught and have your hand held the entire time.

Im happy here, i get steady pay and hours, and now have every at and sun off with mostly constant hours.

Employees are greeted by managers with enthusiasm. and most days depart with an honest pat on the back for doing a good job.

Feel sorry for those that dont have a good workplace. i like my Depot. I plan on hanging around. Assistant managers positions will come up. I might get one sometime. Im not daydreaming, im 40 years old and work and do my job. thats why i do well here. for those that hide outside shipping doors and inbetween pallets of insulation to text there partner. you will get no where. It is after all called work for a reason.

From Surrey — 05/28/2010

Working here has been okay. I'm a cashier and it's just been too long. All of the Head Cashiers are so nice and helpful, but the Front End Supervisor is such a little dipsh**. I go to school as well, and my work schedule is based on my school schedule. Dipsh** always tries and makes me change my schedule to better suit her needs (not the stores). When I told her I can't, she threatened to fire me, even though I got my schedule approved by the ASM before submitting it into the schedule maker. Dipsh** can go to He** and I HATE working there because it's such a pain in the arse. And they always call you in on your day off because they never hire enough cashiers. It's always so busy there too that customers end up coming up to the cashiers for help, but we're not allowed to leave our tills (because of the money and so people can't leave with unpaid merchandise) and then the customers and the supervisors always seem to get mad because we couldn't help them. WE CAN'T LEAVE OUR TILLS!!!! If I could quit, I would do it in a heartbeat, but I can't until I find another job (which I am doing) because then I wouldn't be able to pay for my school and car expenses. Oh, and starting pay is $10.00 (at least where I live), and you're supposed to get a raise after 3 months, but I never got mine and was told that it would be coming after I've worked there for 1 year!!!

From Chaska — 05/17/2010

Pay - Great for a summer job, over $10/hour.
Respect - So far so good. Managers and supervisors are very welcoming.
Benefits - Part time, didn't ask for any benefits.
Job Security - I'm getting all the hours I need, absolutely feel secure.
Work/life Balance - Hard because work consists of long weekends. Hours are not too extreme though.
Career Growth - Already offering raises.
Location - 20 minutes from my house.. but it was my choice to apply there.
Co-Workers - Most are very welcoming and willing to help me learn.
Work Environment - I work in the garden center and it is amazing (when the weather is good).

From 6341 — 04/28/2010

i feel like all these people bitching should just shut up. because you still all go to a job you hate everyday. if you dont like it quit you get a steady pay check every two weeks. if you dont like something change it . for everyone talking shit about john you guys are just haters why dont you call him half the shit you say online to his face all you guys that talk bad about home depot are losers your "internet tough guys" you talk all this shit online but dont have the balls to say it in the store. and just to clear this up im not a ASM or DH im just an hourly associate that works every weekend and closes all the time and i still dont bitch like half you little cry babys.

RIP-TOM Your always is our hearts buddy.

From reno nv — 04/23/2010

I have worked for the home depot for four years. Originally i was just going to stay tell i graduated from school ( only cause they were willing to work with my school schedule). Now in stuck, its such a great place to work and our managment team is very positive and brings in great morals. Plus there is always promotions going on. I recently had a store manager that was only 27 years old but with the bussnesss smarts of a 50 y/o. And get this Home Depot was his first and only job. They have great training classes for managment if your willing to put in the effort.

From Sunrise, FL. — 04/12/2010

I work for store 6329...Sawgrass. I have worked for many different jobs at many different proffessions. The economy sucks, everywhere. Home Depot continues to give raises, bonuses, and the only company I know of that continues to develop and promote employees with good work ethics. Wherever company you goto, you will find challenges and goals to meet and exceed. Our store has found a new found confidence with our management team. Yes Weston is the store to be at the moment but why can't we all look as good? Ruben's a pretty boy from the expo side but if thats what they want....so be it. All these people whining about 6341.... get a life. If you are not sattisfied with your life.... change it! We forget sometimes.... we get paid by the hour.....do your best while you're on the clock, and then go home..... why bitch about it? you're getting paid. I have personally worked for John and Mike and know for a fact that they are some of the most fair and level headed people i have met, let alone worked for...everybody on this website who is bitching about 6341 is kind of a bunch of whiney bitches, why don't you man up or quit...... I guess all I have to say is Home Depot is great, I bleed orange, try and find another company who takes care of you the way Home Depot does. Good luck.

From Houston, TX — 04/11/2010

The only thing wrong with the store I use to work with is the management. They are so out of touch with the people who work on the floor. All of my co-workers were awesome, I still keep in touch with some of them.

From South Florida — 03/31/2010

HD is a great company, doing great things for many people. Unfortunately, like all companies, there are good and bad parts of the company. The good out weigh the bad by far with HD. Those who wish to come on here and slander others are childish and apparently have little respect for themselves or the company for which they work. If you don't like the store or company you work for, then leave. The same door you walk out, there are hundreds of others waiting to be employed. Those of you downing others are crying out about the bad things the company has to offer or what you deal with daily but you are only adding heat to the fire by degrading a company on a public website for others to see. Rather then belittling those around you, focus on yourself and try to better each opportunity that comes your way.
HD is a very good company to work for. It offers so many employee recognition programs that other companies have never even heard of. I take personal offense hearing the negative remarks being made on this forum. Again, two things - If you don't like it, leave and Instead of focusing on the negatives, aim for the positive!

From Hollywood,FL — 03/31/2010

I love The Home Depot! I have been at HD for almost 20 years. I have a substantial 401K and my house is now mortgage free. I have money in the bank and piece of mind. Life is good. All jobs have their ups and downs. It's what you make of it that counts. Negativity breeds negativity. Keeping a positive attitude really goes a long way. To all of the people who say they hate working for HD, take a good look in the mirror. Not all people are cut out for retail. And remember, there is only one person at HD that you have to worry about... YOURSELF. Jobs are scarce and I am fortunate to work for a good (financially sound) company. 214... er... I mean 285 rocks.
p.s. Thank God Nardelli is gone!!!