Working at Hollister Co. — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Hollister Co. pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Hollister Co.

From Arizona — 09/28/2010

I worked here seasonally once so I don't have any long term experience with the company but,

The pay sucked. It was min. wage regardless of any experience or anything.

The hours for me were pretty good, if I said I wanted full time, I got it.

The managers were usually really nice, they did kind of harp on me for not pushing the sales of their perfumes/colognes to every single person.

They said I was doing a great job and asked how I felt about it, If I hadn't found a regular job I feel strongly that they were going to ask me to stay longer than the holidays.

They don't supervise the front enough sometimes, once I was taking go backs and putting them back on the tables and the model in the front girl's side practically through his walkie at me claiming he needed a drink of water and he really took his sweet time when I had other things to be doing.

The main thing that was bad was that they hired me to work in the back of the store as said in interview and on the application and everything, and mostly put me on the floor in the front girl's room, I wanted to work the back because I am not as perky and social as most of the stores models.

From Chicago, IL — 08/18/2010

I have been working here for 11 months as a model and an impact member.
Its a fun laid back job and it is and its fun to tell your friends you work at hollister too, but there are MANY problems with this company. Here are the basic pros and cons.

PROS
1. Starting July 17th 2010, with your associate card you get a discount on all the Abercrombie & Fitch clothing. Well if you shop here even a little discount on name brand clothing is great.
30% a&f - 20% hollister - 30% gilly hicks - 20% abercrom kids - ruehl does not count lol.
2. After a couple months, employee's get a 50% discount on certain types of clothing. For example: certain plaid shirts, skinny jeans, sweaters, or flip flops. It's pretty awesome.
3. Co-workers are very friendly and social. In my work place, everyone seems to get along with each other even some of the managers.

CONS
1. Pay is minimum wage. No raise ever.
2. Managers have their favorites and only give hours to those they like.
If they don't like you, they either give you no hours or call-ins in your schedule.
If they think you're somewhat "social/outgoing and useful" they'll give you 4-8 hours a week.
(IF YOU'RE LUCKY) I tend to hear the phrase "they like me!" a lot.
3. They ALWAYS hire people. I believe every Tuesdays and Fridays they do a group interview for people who have applied. Yes there's like 100 f' workers. I'd say 2/3 of them don't get any hours. Maybe one shift a month. (Oh and in the interview, make sure you know what the hell "diversity" means and how it "relates" to the workplace. I really don't know how I got passed that question and got hired lol.)
4. You HAVE to physically go there yourself and print your schedule out every week. If you call them asking for your schedule the managers get all pissed off. Thank god I live 5 minutes away from that mall.
5. OKAY CALL-INS. If you were given a call-in on a certain day, you have to call in an hour early to see if they need any backup or if someone couldn't make it. 80% of the time they will say "No we don't need you, but thanks for calling!". When you start working, they will give you call-ins and if you call them a lot they'll start giving you actual shifts. Dumb right?
6. This one manager.. eh can kiss my a$$.
7. TAGLINES TAGLINES TAGLINES TAGLINES TAGLINES

Overall it's a pretty good job if you're busy with school and such. Some of my co-workers only have time for 4 hours a week and the managers are cool with that. It's the type of job, not to pay bills, but to have money in your pocket. Discounts are the greatest thing about having this job though even if it's 20% I ain't complaining. Money is money :)

From Natick MA — 04/14/2010

Honestly everyone gave it a bad rating... but I like working here. Yeah the pay sucks.. it's minimum and the benefits are pretty bad.. 20 %. But besides that I have a lot of fun. I think that it completely depends on the managers you have. I love every manager at my store, they are all laid back, and all really fun to be around. I've been working here for 8 months, and I'm the best folder in my store, so I get a lot of respect, and even the DM has commented multiple times. So because of that I get whatever hours I want. I tell them when I want to work and if I feel like staying longer, I do. Yeah the managers are pretty immature, they're people. If they don't like you, they won't be professional, they'll simply never schedule you again, maybe give you one call in. If they're trying to get you fired then they'll put you 5 call in shifts in a row just to have a reason to write you up. But if you have an outgoing fun personality and just talk to everyone, they'll have no reason to not like you and you'll get respect really fast.
Besides that it kind of sucks. Everything is really specific at the store, and the customers are ridiculous. I've said some really rude things though so I can't really say anything bad about them haha.
So to sum it up, if your managers are laid back and your co workers are sociable you'll have a lot of fun, otherwise it could be really awful. Especially if your a bad employee and they decide to stick you up in bettys 1 for your entire shift. So it just really depends. For me personally I loved it, for others, it hasn't been to good.

From Florida — 03/11/2010

ALL of you guys are crazy.....Hollister is the easiest ,most laid back job i have ever had
Whoever said it was degrading to say "hey, what's up" to customers is twisted. Perhaps you've never had a seriously hard or degrading job before. There's nothing I don't like about it. The requirements are to show up on time and call in when you're supposed to like every other job out there. On top of that you should show up in flip flops, jeans and a shirt with barely any make up on...what is hard about that?