Working at Hobby Lobby — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Hobby Lobby pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Hobby Lobby

From Statesboro, GA — 06/07/2010

I've only been working at Hobby Lobby in Statesboro, GA for about 3 or 4 months now. When I stumbled across this website, I was very surprised by most of the reviews. I hadn't been on an interview in a couple of years, so I was pretty nervous when I got a call back. My interviewing manager was one of the sweetest people I had ever met. I was originally hired as a part-time cashier at 7.75/hr, and was worked into a dept. a couple of weeks later. About 2 months or so after I started I was offered a full-time position in that dept. with benefits and a raise to 11/hr. I was also offered a part-time positon in the C.O. Not only was I thrilled, but my manager was just so happy to be able to offer that to me...it actually made me even happier. Like I said, I haven't been there very long, but so far I am happy with almost everything. Great in-store management, great employee team work. The one thing that does really irritate me is that even though employees arive at the store at 7am or earlier and stay until 10pm, the AC cuts on at 8:50am and cuts off at 7:50pm. We live in south Georgia, and maybe they've never woken up at 5 am to it being 90+ degrees outside with 100% humidity...but we do regularly and its complete hell to work in!!

From Gilbert, AZ — 10/16/2009

Like the previous commenter, you don't get paid enough to be a cashier. I was always on refunds because I was one of the faster cashiers. The downside is that the refund counter had to refund previous customers AND check out regulars at about the same time. Refunds were a pain because you had to have a CSM approve of the transaction. I constantly ran out of workspace room and wrapping huge glass decor items or ornaments was a pain and time consuming. Worse off is that lines during the weekends are HORRIBLE. People will stand and complain how long they've been standing when they know your working your butt off. Also the customers don't realize your entering everything by hand---mistakes happen and it takes longer to find the price on the item. The only real positive thing I can about the company is that it helped me learn how to use a cash register since it was my real 'first' job. Also some of the employees really were like part of my family---I felt close to some of them and bonded real well. Overall, I'd say keep looking.

From Missouri — 04/19/2009

Pay was MUCH better than the average retail chain (and I know because I've worked A LOT of retail, including Michael's Arts and Crafts) and a few days ago it was announced that all full time employees are going to be bumped up to $10 an hour (instead of starting at $8).

Everyone in the store is very respectful to everyone else, including the manager and co-manager. The only person anyone ever seems to have problems with is the DM, but the few times I've met him he's always been pleasant to me.

I don't take advantage of the benefits, but I've heard from others that they're good for retail.

Work/Life Balance is alright. I usually can get any day off that I request, but I don't request a lot of days off, only when I really need them.

I really wouldn't say there is a lot of potential growth. If you start somewhere that seems to be where you stay.

Location was good, then I moved and now it's bad. But that's my fault.

My co-workers are very competent people. The store manager had to sift through a lot of people to make up the crew we have now, and everyone is very happy with everyone else. I know it sounds too good to be true, but there really aren't any problems.

Work environment is also very good. On random days and holidays our manager brings in lunch for everyone, which can be a nice surprise. This isn't a job you can slack off at, but if you work hard and work when you are scheduled then you will have job security. I'm sure there are other stores out there that aren't as nice, but I really have no complaints. It's a job, it's not supposed to be all roses. Sometimes you have to put up with a little corporate BS, but I just roll my eyes and do it. It's usually a stupid idea, and they change it back within a month, and yeah, it's annoying, but that's just part of a job sometimes.

Other people have commented here that management/corporate/the business as a whole is overly-religious. I simply haven't seen that. Half the managers are, half of them aren't. Not being religious hasn't hindered anyone, not that I've seen anyway. Nor has religion given anyone else a leg up. The only religion that I see at a corporate level is the Christmas/Easter ad that the company puts out.

From round lake, il — 11/13/2008

Every one of the employees is nice - and you could do MUCH worse for the pay. The work is simple and usually easy. And all of my co-workers are very pleasant people. But the break room could use an update