Working at Hewlett-Packard — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Hewlett-Packard pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Hewlett-Packard

From Bangalore — 06/26/2009

HP is a nice place to work and major credit goes to the people. People are helping, bright and friendly. It offers good challenging work and kind of independence to exercise your own will. Alas! it's not generous with money :( Besides now we do not get any benefit.

From Bethesda, MD — 03/03/2009

Great coworkers
Great hiring manager
Love the commute
Hate the pay cuts
Customer we support is disorganized, at best

Main reason why I remain with HP is my coworkers and my immediate management team. I work with a bunch of folks who were with Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC), and they somehow managed to keep the old DEC mentality with them through the years. That means they really do look out for one another, and I can personally testify to that. Beyond my immediate team & mgmt though, the corporate side has been consistently stingy through good years and bad. Pay raises are difficult. We just took a pay cut, and understand it to a point (in order to minimize layoffs), but one of our managers was bemoaning our group "only achieved 89% of it's profit numbers". In this economy, the fact we are making a profit at all is reason enough to dance in the streets. 20% pay cut for Mark Hurd is simply window dressing, and smacks of "Dilbert". Will not elaborate, but the customer we support is absolutely horrible.

I really loved that other post that stated his "Give a $h!T level is fading fast. It is for me and my coworkers as well.

From Massachusetts — 02/18/2009

So I've been a year-round intern for HP for about a year and a half now. My experiences at HP so far have generally been really great. I came on during my senior year of college and finished my last trimester with HP and earned school credit. Since then, I've stayed on as an intern and for the past few months have been been pursuing college hire positions.

Just recently, I secured a college hire position in Houston, TX which starts in a few weeks (which seems to be where the majority of the hiring is taking place, I hear its cheaper to hire there). I work with great, knowledgeable people. It's pretty clear however, that upon launch of our current project, my current group will be disbanded. This is causing some low morale amongst my co-workers, as it should.

While certain locations may be laying off more than others, I find it to be pretty common that most employees are pretty stubborn when it comes to moving and pursuing other opportunities elsewhere. Sorry people, but you've got to go where the jobs are. Relocating is tough, but unemployment is worse.

While I don't agree with Mark Hurd's total take-home amount of $48m, he's done some great things for the company overall, but he certainly needs to put more funding into R&D. Please stop crying about losing flavored teas and salary freezes people. Tough times call for drastic action, if you're one of the lucky who haven't been laid off, be thankful you have a job.

Any hiring that is going on right now is mostly for recent college grads. HP is seriously pushing this Graduate Investment Program..and while it needs a lot of work, my experience has been good so far. If you're looking for a specialist position, good luck, competition is rough. How I got chosen out of 200 candidates for this recent college hire job..I'll never know, but I'm excited.

Overall, great place to work. My pay as an intern has been GREAT. Benefits are great, most everything is covered dental wise. Morale could be better, but what employees in any company are truly feeling safe in this economy? Take one day at a time.

From Houston, TX — 07/17/2008

Read a lot of disgruntled comments...it's understandable, the company has changed in the last several years and some folks can't adapt. But as a Company goes, it is still a pretty great place to work for. You are in a dynamic, exciting industry. Pay is usually much superior to other employer's in the area, and most people could not go to another company and make as much as they do here (and that is why everyone is staying). I am sure there are bad bosses, bad groups, etc in the company...in something this big and diverse it is going to happen. Yes, a dearth of raises the last few years is tough, but I know people who left HP and had to take pay cuts to do so..sometimes substantial. I have worked for several companies and in several industries and trust me, there are much worst places to be. Complaining because they are moved into nice new cubicles and no longer have offices? Try going to a place where you are thrown into a "bullpen" with furniture from the 70's and see how that rates (like other places I have worked; I got news for you...most places only have offices for the most senior of management). Waahh...no more free flavored tea! They have cut back on the amount they subsidize my cell phone! Give me a break...if that is really how you evaluate your job satisfaction then you should re-think your priorities. The IT industry is competitive, and some choices and compromises have to be made. I think they (management) are doing the best they can. Yes, sometimes we have to work odd-hours..we are an international company with hungry competitors and demanding customers, and so this is going to happen. But there is also a lot of flexibility and most managers are enlightened enough so that as long as you are getting your job done, they are not going to give you any grief about the hours you keep and give you some comp time for these odd hours. Unlike a lot of places I have been, managers don't ask employees to do something they won't do themselves. It is not unusual for folks to leave looking for greener pastures and then desperately trying to get back in 6-12 months later after their reality check. Don't believe the tripe posted here...it is an overall good company to work for and I consider myself lucky to be there.

From Folsom, CA — 01/27/2007

I saw all the negative comments about HP and was appaled. I am 39 years old and have been in the work force since I was 15 years old. I have had a job every day of my life(never been unemployed.) I can say without a doubt that HP is by far the best company I have worked for. I worked in Folsom, CA for 5 years(4 years temp and 1 year HP employee.) I now work at Amerisource Bergen and I must say that Amerisource Bergen makes Enron look like a company that Mother Teresa founded. Anyway, it saddens me to read all the negative about HP. You folks that are complaining about HP, go work for Amerisource Bergen, Walmart or any other big company and you will see just how awesome the HP way is(you may even buy your new boss a copy of the book "The HP Way".) I would go back and work for HP in a heart beat even though they are going through tough times. I have never been more respected and treated so awesome at any work place in my career. Pay was good, bennies were awesome, management was honest with us(I was told 6 months in advance I would be layed off-Amerisource Bergen tells you 1 minute in advance.) I was also given 6 1/2 months of severance pay even though I was only a full time HP employee for 13 months(Amerisource Bergen gives you 0 months severance.) Over-time was volutary and they could do this because they treated their people so well they would always get volunteers(Amerisource Bergen treats their people so poorly they have to force over-time on you or they would not get enough volunteers.) To sumarize-HP rocks and Amerisource Bergen Sucks.