Working at Hertz — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Hertz pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Hertz

From San Bernardino, Ca — 04/28/2010

I have worked for hertz for about 2.5 years now, and worked as an agency manager for about 4 years before that. I will say that Hertz is 100 times better to work for than budget. The pay isn't great, but I have had a couple different managers, and they both have been outstanding, and always willing to help you out to teach you how to be a manager. I am getting ready to take my Management interview shortly, to become eligible for bonuses, and perhaps become a branch manager, as soon as possible. I like the people, the job is decent, and while the $$ isn't great, it's still a job, so I have no reason to complain!

From n/a — 04/06/2010

I've been with the company for about five years and what I like about it is that you have the potential to increase your pay by thousands of dollars based on your efforts. There aren't too many jobs out there that let you earn thousands more beyond your designated salary. Also, when you become a manager, you receive car benefits, which is great. I haven't bought a tank of gas, a tire or an oil change in almost 4 years. Yeah the benefits could be better, but at least we have them. Also Hertz has a tuition reimbursement program, they match 401k contributions to a certain %, and offer classes/training for you to become a better manager. You can take the skills they teach you and apply them to other jobs if you decide to leave the company. Definitely not a good idea to join the Hertz team if you do not have an entrepreneurial spirit, don't work well with others or aren't good with the public.

From NY, NY — 09/28/2009

Unlike most of the other posts here, I've had the experience of working for Hertz in different cities around the country.

Many of these posts are absolutely correct. Long hours 50+/week, low pay, washing cars, no social life, etc. In several cities, this is very true. This goes for all positions, including branch managers. There were times, that I didn't have time to go to the bathroom because it was so busy. Other times, you waited for cars until the early hours of the morning, well past a 12-13 hour shift. Turnover was very high, and there was a pervasive bitterness amongst most of the staff. Those that were not bitter were on methamphetamine.
The last straw was supplementing my income with loose change I found in the cupholders to pay rent. And eating food that customers left behind because I couldn't afford lunch.

However, now as a manager at an small airport, in a low cost of living city, the salary is very good. With quarterly and annual bonuses, it can be a comfortable income. You also get to drive expensive cars home every day, without paying for gas or insurance. Working hours are good, usually a 9 hour shift but there is time to eat lunch, read a book, or surf the internet.

From Jacksonville, FL — 06/03/2009

Hi, all.

I happened upon this thread while looking for something else and decided to read a response or two before moving on. I ended up reading a couple dozen.

I feel compelled to comment as sort of a rebuttal on behalf of the company, for what it's worth. I'll admit up front that I've only worked with the company for a short time, and as such concede that my perspective may not be as well rounded as some others who've posted. Still, my experience in the management program at Hertz has been remarkably unlike the majority of posts I've read. Here's how, along with a few of my opinions as to the cause of the disparity between my views and others.

I think that the most important issue for me to touch on is the respect I've received from upper management. The gentleman who hired me (whose name I'll not include only out of consideration for his privacy; though I intend only to compliment him) conducted one of the most professional interviews I had attended in nearly four months of job seeking. Since hiring me (which, incidentally, he did by meeting with me again in person and complimenting the heck out of me in several ways and asking if I'd consider accepting a role with the company; not by just saying "Hey, come on down cause we've decided to hire some new folks and hopefully you'll do") has called me on my cell phone FIVE times since he hired me just to see how I'm doing and to ask if there's anything he can do to make me feel more comfortable, teach me about how the business works, set me up with some training or just to let me voice any complaints about my new work environment. That's astonishing. He's the highest ranking name I know of in the area and he's making me and another guy who hired on with me part of his weekly check-up routine. So, it's safe to say that I don't feel as though I'm just being used by a company who doesn't care about me as a person and doesn't give a rip if I succeed or not. It feels much more likely that I'm being given the opportunity to be mentored on toward a real career; not just a job.

Secondly, my branch manager is a cool-headed guy who finished some paperwork the other day, walked out of his office, saw that we were swamped at the desk, and immediately went outside and started cleaning cars for customers so we could stay in the air-conditioned office and process rentals and returns. If he had the mentality that is presented by most of these posters, he would have sent ME out to do that while he took the desk. Keep this in mind as I move toward my point at the end.

Next, I get paid a decent amount each week to drive around in new cars and pick up successful and/or interesting people with whom I have an opportunity to talk and make jokes. I am getting a sense of the inner workings of a hugely successful business model. I get the opportunity to solve the transportation problems of everyday people who've been in an accident and just want to get back to their lives. I'm good with people and know how to say hard things softly when needed, and therefore rarely see a customer get upset by a policy I must enforce on a rental denial (when that happens). The other guys I work with (and I get moved around a lot to get a feel for how different locations function) have all been funny as hell and I've only met one bad apple so far who didn't understand the nature of the work we do.

The overtime is DELICIOUS to my bank account. The way I see it, if I'm going to get up and go to work for eight or nine hours, then I might as well stay for ten and make time and a half. I really don't understand that gripe that everyone seems to have about getting overtime. Most companies go bonkers about not letting their people work for extra money. Not Hertz. I put in the time, and they're happy to pay me for it. Sounds good to me.

I think what has happened to so many of these posters - and this is just my opinion based on what I've managed to take from my experiences with certain personality types; I could be completely wrong - is that they applied for a job with the word "management" in the title and thought that would mean that they'd sit at a desk all day and tell people what to do after a few weeks of classes on managing others. Then, when they found out that they'd actually have to put in some work, found out that they'd be learning the business from the ground up so that they'd actually be able to make decisions based on real experience rather than just theory, found out that they'd have to deal with the occasional dissatisfied customer and figure out what to do, found out that they would be expected to give some effort in return for their money earned, found out that they'd have to try to progress the company by increasing profits and contributing something to the bottom line rather than just doing as they pleased and getting paid regardless of output, then they just weren't up for it. Customer service isn't for everyone, and the concept of actually working toward a goal is less and less understood by the young folks of today. It's sad, but that's the truth as I see it.

Hertz is not an evil corporation hell-bent on working people to death with no intention of promoting them once they've proven that they're ready for it. From what I've observed, the management training program is designed to simultaneously solve the problems of manning the rental centers with capable, intelligent individuals and weeding out the applicants who put on a good show at an interview, but simply lack the drive and follow-through required to roll up their sleeves and dedicate themselves to something more important than the amount of time they're able to go out and party in their off-time.

If you're willing to work toward goals and won't freak out everytime a problem comes up, it's a great program. My branch manager has been with the company for three years. He's almost making six figures now. What's that sound like to you? Not a scam - for sure

From Oklahom City, OK — 02/23/2009

I worked for Hertz as a computer programmer at their data center from mid-2007 until spring of 2008. I was hired as a permanent employee after they gone through a round of very deep layoffs in Feb. 2007, and had been unable to attract technical talent. I was given pretty concrete assurances that their situation was more stable, and that they did not anticipate any further lay offs. To my surprise, in November, they announced their intention of laying off 60%-90% of their technical staff by outsources all but their most critical operations to a 3rd party vendor.

Well, I didn't stick around. I wrapped up my projects and got out before OKC was swamped with a couple hundred former Hertz programmers. I believe they backed off the radical outsourcing initiative, but not before their most talented programmers (and I presume other technical spcialities) had fled the company.

Too bad. As noted in my review except for this stability (which directly impacted career growth) it was a kewl place to work. And the work I was doing was interesting and fulfilling.

From Kalispell MT — 11/23/2008

For what work I do (especially in winter) I get Great pay. Honestly 9.50/Hr. to wash and drive nice, new cars? good deal. Not payed a salary though. Everybody is respected equally by each other, and treated like people, not robots. We dont get benefits, but most of us are in school and its just a temporary job anyway. Job security is very stable for me, having been there almost a year and a half. My schedule is formed purely upon how much I want to work. we have plenty of employees to cover shifts when needed. so vacation time is easy to sort out. Not really any potential of a career in it, as pay remains the same for a couple years(but starting at 9.25/hr. compared to the state minimum wage of 6.15/hr is nothing to complain about. I drive about 16 miles round trip to the airport to go to work, in beautiful montana country. My co-workers are awesome people. Some are rather dependent and needy, but still a blast to work with. The environment is great as long as the airport maintenance keeps up it's end of the deal. Cool misty water in summer, warm, cozy, heated bay in winter. Well maintained and sure-traction driving surfaces all year round.

Overall, a great place to make some pretty good money without feeling like someone's property while making your way through High school or even college.

From SW Florida — 10/20/2008

There are too many people bashing this specific job. It isn't as bad as most people make it. It is what you make it to be. Sure you wash cars in a shirt and tie, sure the hours suck and the pay isn't fantastic. Most people just can't cut it. At an HLE, we deal with a lot of crap. Dealing with rude customers, insurance companies, the pressure and competition of gaining sales. It's hard work, but can be rewarding. Would someone fresh out of college want to be at Hertz for the rest of their lives? Definitely not! However, it's an excellent starting environment that takes an individual to have a lot of ambition and a lot of stamina to succeed. The work is draining and involves multi-tasking. I've never met a manager in my city who was a shmuck and disrespected other employees. There's great potential growth up to a MGR position. This isn't your sit at the desk working 40hr/wk job. Go work for the banks if that's what your looking for. The main personality characteristic you must have in order to be happy working here is self-motivation. You don't rent cars, you sell coverage and upsells. It's a sales job, any moron can sit at a desk pushing buttons on a keyboard and printing contracts. And truthfully, the coverages offered by a rental car company sometimes is bogus, but it's what you have to do. If you don't like working at Hertz, then get out. Complain about it, fine, but don't stay and complain because you'll just drag everybody who works with you down; and no one needs to work with someone during a 10 hour day that's constantly negative

From North Carolina — 09/17/2008

Pay: Out of college (a bachelor is required for coordinator position) I made $29,000 a year, + time and a half for overtime. Also, coordinators receive monthly bonuses (usually about $200).
Respect: Coordinators are the lowest on the totem pole, but have the most responsibility (to be fair, I was told this in my interview). The drivers and mechanics won't respect you, although I became good friends with them.
Benefits: The benefits were okay. I received health, dental, and vision was optional.
Job Security: I never really felt as though I would lose my job (although I did have some major screw-ups, like all new coordinators), but I did hear about coordinators before me getting fired for making justified complaints to corporate.
Work/Life Balance: Wow. If you work at Hertz, that is all you will do. I regularly worked 7:30 to 6. The other coordinator worked 6:30 to 4:30. Some days I would be required to work alone (the other coordinator and manager would be gone), 6:30-6 with no break or support (running the entire store alone: incoming calls, customers, coordinating drivers and mechanics, all contract work, etc. etc. etc.).
Career Potential/Growth: You could be promoted relatively quickly in this company if you were good at what you did.
Location: Nothing strange about the locations of the many Hertz I was required to visit during my employment.
Co-worker Competence: For the most part my co-workers were great, and very competent. However, working here you are required to regularly contact surrounding stores to work-out contracts. So, you will be dealing with Hertz coordinators from all over the country, every day, and you are bound to run into several idiots who will screw you over (although, in my experience, not usually intentionally).
Work Environment: Here is the worst part about working at Hertz. You are in an environment where you are staring at a computer screen, pounding out complex, yet very important (lots of money at stake) contracts. At the same time your desk-phone is ringing with a huge customer, your company Nextel is beeping with a driver who is pissed, a mechanic is asking you about a machine, a customer has just walked in (who is actually mystery-shopping you), and 18 other things are on your to do list (quotes waiting to be faxed, contracts half-finished that outside sales reps are frantically waiting on, etc. You will become so stressed that you will at times feel sick (this happens to all coordinators). The amount of stress is ridiculous. Absolutely. You will multi-task 100% of the time, and you will be multi-tasking things that should never be multi-tasked.

From chicago,il — 01/17/2008

ok so what he fck, hertz is definitly a mind blower. The do expect you to work between 50 to 55 hours a week, in which is not a problem if your getting compensated correctly however your social lfe and stamina decreases at the same time.

the on thing i can say is use the company for the xperience because they damn sure are using you. Also pace yourself because it is all a game and only the strong survive, believe me when i tell you. Its like the army. You are dictated to, told what to do and sometimes how to do it, no back talk or thoughts of independence, you are forced to think like a unit.

In addition you have to go though this bs initiation process where you are on probation for a 60-90 days and during this time they scrutinize and critique your ever move. Its a hard course to treck. and can be downright hard.

From Seattle, WA — 12/24/2007

Ive been with the company for almost a year. The compensation is alright for an entry level management trainee program; an average performer (assuming the MT role) probably makes 30-35/yr while a stellar performer makes about 35-40+/yr. But remember these figures include the base pay, typically 10-15 hours of OT, and bonuses from sales. Your sales performance deterimes how much you make; on every rental you get 4-5 opportunities to sell and the average service revenue you generate daily determines your payout. If you dont perform and just work the overtime, you'll make the same as a bank teller or a grocery checker. Respect is decent. Benefits are respectable; you get paid vacation, good medical and dental. Job Security is sky high...they wont get rid of anyone unless they did something really unethical. Its more of a question of how well can Hertz retain an employee rather than how often does someone lose their job at Hertz. Work/Life Balance? Is that even a question? There is a lot of potential for growth; There are 2 promotions to pass before you become a bona fide Location Manager. You get bumps in your base pay and get a higher stake of the quarterly bonuses as you progress. One thing I noticed is they put more emphasis on sales numbers rather than looking at the "whole package". Also, at times people get promoted out of necessity because people leave and the candidate for the new opening just happens to be the last person standing. Locations aren't bad, however they need to increase their signage to get more business exposure for local people driving by. Co-worker competence is sometimes questionable; but generally the people who do good get promoted faster and the mediocre performers stay at the bottom end of the totem pole and get the short end of the stick for not performing as well. Working at Hertz has its ups and downs. It may not sound like the "dream college grad job" but i learned a lot of things and surprised myself a lot by taking the opportunity. I did it for the experience and its not too bad after all!