Working at HEB grocrey company — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about HEB grocrey company pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at HEB grocrey company

From Round Rock, Tx — 06/29/2010

I have worked for HEB for 16 years and I am very happy with the company. They have excellent benefits (much less expensive that with my husbands company) and very good job security (no layoffs at the store level). There are the occasional managers and coworkers who are incompetent but for the most part the company is great to work for. It is retail though and its all about pleasing the customer. That can be annoying sometimes but I have been working with the public for so long that angry/mean customers just don't bother me anymore.

From Houston, Tx — 03/04/2010

A good company to work with.

From Seguin — 03/03/2010

Pay is great with raises every 6 months. I had no problems with Seguin manager's at all. Job security with HEB is great. Unless you absolutely aren't doing what you're supposed to, your job is safe and secure. There are so many opportunities to be promoted and for the most part, it's a positive work environment.

From Austin, Texas — 02/09/2009

I know that this is only a retail company and it has all those problems that all jobs have: group politics, the customer service headaches. the company fully supports its employees and are always working on developing your job and an employees potential and personal care. there are those that find themselves cut out, but that is their own fault for not taking action. the company gives good pay and opens opportunity for its employees.

From taylor,texas — 12/19/2008

good place to come into everyday. happy partners. customers are very old & invalid & cranky,
but one can get used to it.

From San Antonio, TX — 12/18/2008

This company is good to work for, it's just some of the managers who manage to screw up the experience for us. Our input is regularly solicited, and just as regularly ignored. The pay and benefits are good, but it's really hard balancing work and personal life since we have to work such screwy hours (anywhere from 4AM to midnight) which vary from week to week, not to mention the holidays. In the past few years, we have been opening on Thanksgiving because <> customers were going to competitors for their last minute purchases. Christmas will probably be next.

From San Antonio, Tx — 11/28/2008

HEB is a great company in general, but experiences will be touch and go from store to store, and as partners and manager turn over occurs. As far as company related things, I think HEB is great.

From Kyle, Texas — 10/19/2008

Well this is my second stint with the company. I gotta say, like most places it has it's ups and downs!! They are one of the better paying companies out there, even if you are coming in fresh! And the benefits are top notch as well. And co-workers are a mix bag, some are great to work with, others aren't, but with a store as big as ours, you're bound to run into all sorts.

One of my issues are with the company is the apparent reaction to complaints. You can work work your tail off day in and day out, and be nice to everyone, but you get that one out of line customer, and they complain to your supervisor, or higher up, and your job can be in jeapordy. I guess it's like that in most retail establishments, but it shouldn't be so. Anyone who has worked retail knows, customers come in already angry and one thing can set them off. The persistent angry customer can do you harm via your livelihood, and to me that isn't right.

Also, H-E-B seems to think that everything you do outside of work, especially with co-workers, is their business. Be it a party, a get together, or what have you, if more than one employee is involved, and someone from management gets word of it, and it's something they frown upon, whatever that may be, and your job is jeopardy. They overstep their bounds on what they can say goes on in our personal lives. Once the shirt comes off, and we're off the property, they should have no business in our lives, no matter what we do.

Finally, some of the complaints around here seem to focus on management, and we have our share of winners, but yet we have a couple of bad apples! Managers that should have left the retail business long ago, whose lives have soured so much that they take it on the employees! For the most part they are competent enough, but the attitudes need changing!

The company is what it is, it pays well, but needs a little tweaking, and it could be one of the best companies out there!

From San Antonio,Texas — 12/08/2007

A good company to work with.