Working at HCA — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about HCA pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at HCA

From Nashville,TN — 09/02/2009

I work at Southern Hills Medical Center. It is a wonderful place to work. There is a true spirit of teamwork and respect. Management seems honest and caring and are always willing to work you on flexible scheduling. Pay is AWESOME! I never dreamed I would make what I am making at HCA. The care we provide is better than at any other facility in Nashville.

From nashville — 07/26/2009

This is a very stable company with great opportunity, but the work life balance is not the best.

From Nashville, TN — 12/05/2008

HCA corporate headquarters pay is mostly fair for the positions. However, I do think they use market surveys for pricing some positions that ends up either overpricing or underpricing a job for lack of comparable jobs in other industries. The company is very respectful to the workers and helpful with work life balancing. Benefits overall are fair, health insurance tends to be more expensive than other companies I have worked for which is surprising since this is a healthcare company. HCA tends to ramp up hiring to complete projects with full time employees when they should use contract labor and not have to make so many adjustments to full time labor force during periods of economic downturns. Layoffs are always hard and tend to make all employees less productive and scared of their own future. Career potential and job growth is abundant at this +$25 billion company. Employees have lots of opportunity for education and enhancing their industry skills by attending conferences, etc...They also have an excellent program for advancing college degrees. The corporate headquarters location could use some help from some interior designers. The worst art is to be found in any given location at the headquarters, the carpet is old and boring, electrical outlets hidden behind desk so you can't access them easily, the buildings simply need to be remodeled and brought into current times with some vibrant colors. Co-worker competence- lots of good smart people working for the company; however, as with any company you have to wonder how some even have jobs. Overall HCA is good place to work if you are willing to work in less than glamorous surroundings.

From Richmond, VA — 04/23/2008

WOW! Who would have thought a "JOB VENT" website would have had nothing but negative reviews?! Strange actually, but my experience working for HCA wouldn't be a complaint, but I've been made painfully aware of how one or two "poisonous" attitudes in a department can sure attempt to destroy anything positive that's going on there. I hate that fact that anyone would actually think that someone other than themselves is responsible for a poor work environment. I'm pretty sure that pissy people are going to be pissy no matter where they work, how much they make, or how much they complain. Some people are just not happy unless they're miserable and we all know the saying that "misery loves company". One incredibly negative person once left our department and co-workers actually cheered that we were "cancer free"! Sadly almost a year after they've left the company that person is still angry and bitter. Kind of feel sorry for people like that, don't you?

I feel the job security is very high here. If you could only imagine how often insurance companies pay claims incorrectly, you would understand how a healthcare business office is a great place to work!!

Co-Workers are competent although it's obvious that not all co-workers work at their highest potential. But hey, at the end of the day they have to live with themselves knowing they're not working their hardest. Hopefully their children will learn a good work ethic from another relative or the future of our society is in some serious trouble.

Location is great. Near major roads/highways, plenty of parking which is also free (unlike in the city).

Work/life balance I believe is fine. As long as I communicate with my manager about what's going on outside of work, I've never had any trouble getting time off when I've needed it.

From Nashville, TN — 03/08/2008

Pay: Average for the position. But I was mislead as to what the position would require, so the salary should have been higher.
Respect: In the office I worked, the staff was very friendly. I seemed to get an acceptable amount of respect for my job, but not if I had an idea that was not in line with management.
Benefits: Good benefits. I don't like that you are automatically enrolled in the 401K program. You have 30 days to choose not to enroll, but the online enrollment does not work and you end up calling several people to get it fixed. And if they do not change it, then you pay a penalty to unenroll.
Job Security: None.
Work/Life balance: Nashville is VERY expensive, and since the position was not what I was lead to believe it was...I did not move there and had to leave my job.
Career potential: none.
Location: be careful walking to your car.
Co-worker competence: too many roosters in the hen house.
Work environment: friendly.