Working at Hastings Entertainment Inc. — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Hastings Entertainment Inc. pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Hastings Entertainment Inc.

From Texas — 08/12/2010

I'm guessing most of the people who rated this job horribly work the front end. I never touched a cash register, and honestly that's what made this job so great. I worked in books, and it was heaven! My original manager could be a bit of a jerk, but after some time we came to get along GREAT! My second manager was going to be myself, haha, but I was unable to take the position and a great guy got the job. He's still a friend of mine. One thing that really got to me about this place was that if you showed you could be depended upon they really put as much on you as you could handle. there were sunday mornings where i was covering the entire sales floor alone. all three dept.'s. Closing alone on Saturday nights, and being forced to leave my section a mess because of careless scheduling. I don't enjoy being forced to be a bad employee and sometimes that's how it felt. I had to really air that out to my first manager and let him know I wasn't okay with him yelling at me about that. Besides that I still go visit the store when I visit my hometown, I say hi to my old managers and check out the store. I miss that job. I would love to find another like it!

From Washington State — 02/09/2010

I seem to be blessed with a decent store. The pay is low and the hours are minimal, but I work with some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure to work with. Most of the customers are in a good mood and the atmosphere of the store is generally positive. For an entry level job I believe there to be a low turnover. Corporate level decisions leave me scratching my head at times but our store management does a great job of actin as the buffer between the top brass and the unwashed masses.

From Texas — 12/01/2009

I work in the cafe at a Hastings store. I could go go on and on about my experience at Hastings, but it will almost certainly be different than someone else. The fact is, the environment at Hastings will depend almost entirely upon the personalities you interact with day to day, but mostly on that of the General Manager of the store. Mine happens to be a really nice guy so the overall feeling in the store is positive. We follow company policies which are mostly centered on the delivery of a high level of customer service. Many of my coworkers are young college students in their late teens or early twenties. I've met some great people there and enjoy going to work as much as one can I suppose. We get our work done, do what is asked of us by corporate, and manage to have a little fun doing it. Don't think you are going to move right up the ladder or make good money there. You will make minimum wage or a bit more, but it's a great job if you happen to be a student and just need 25-35 hours a week to pay some bills or buy some beer. Those who have complained here need to know two things. 1) You can't expect to make a lot of money at a place that requires no experience, no training, and hardly any experience. 2) Just because their store may have been terrible, doesn't mean all of them are. I will say that working at Hastings is not my dream job and I don't plan to make a career out of it, but if you need to make a few bucks and don't mind everything that comes with working in retail (high level of customer service/low pay etc.) give it a shot. If you hate it, you can always quit.

From Liberal, Kansas — 06/26/2009

I worked at Hastings in Liberal a few years back, and it was only as a summer job, but I really enjoyed the experience.
The pay was terrible. It was just minimum wage, and I had terrible hours as well. At the time, I was in school, so I didn't have any bills to pay and didn't really mind the pay.
As far as respect goes, I had no problems with that. The management was always very respectful toward me, and even the customers were easy to work with. Granted, there were some stupid customers who came up with crazy requests, but they were never rude about it. After working in other retail stores, I really miss the customers from Hastings.
I was only part-time, so I didn't really get any benefits. I couldn't say how good the full-time benefits were. I did love the employee discount. When I worked there, it was 10 percent above cost. On books (which is mainly what I bought), that ended up being a great discount. On DVDs and CDs it didn't make much difference, but the used ones were really cheap with the discount.
I was only with the store the one summer, so I don't know how well I can account for job security. I do know that everyone there at the beginning of summer was still working there when I left in the fall to go back to college. I think they had a pretty normal turnover rate.
I don't know about balancing work and life. I was part-time and had very few hours, so it wasn't a concern for me. I also have no idea about career potential, since I was only there about three months.
I really liked the location. Nice parking lot. Other stores nearby. Food within walking distance if you worked long enough for breaks. Good neighborhood (not that they get very bad in Liberal).
The people I worked with were great and easy to work with. They knew what they were doing and were helpful when you were new and had questions.
Overall, a great working environment. The store was clean, the people were nice, the customers were easy to handle. I worked on the floor, and we were supposed to do a little suggestive selling, but it wasn't pushed so much that I was uncomfortable with it. If there had been a Hastings near to my college, I would have transferred instead of quitting when the school year started. I only wish my experience with other retail stores was as positive.