Working at Harris Teeter — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Harris Teeter pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Harris Teeter

From East Coast Virginia — 09/25/2010

I've worked at Harris Teeter for the past three and a half years since 2007 as a cashier/bagger, u-scan cashier, and then customer service clerk (fancy name for supervisor/service desk attendant).

PAY: Average for the area, I get paid a bit over minimum wage; however, not that much considering how long I've been there. Pay isn't matched when minimum wage goes up, so many people will start working there with little to no experience getting paid the same or more than I do. Many employees get unfairly paid less or more than they should. You get a raise once a year, but it's usually piss-poor. For how much CS clerks are responsible for (thousands of dollars, western union, refunds, irate customers, supervision, opening/closing, etc etc), they get paid very little.

RESPECT: Harris Teeter does seem to respect its employees, but it depends on your manager. I'm never chastised for calling out or denied requests for days off other than blackout holidays. However, this rating is lower due to the problem with uneven pay.

BENEFITS: Nothing special or out of the ordinary. I'm not full-time, so I don't get them. However, they do offer a "profit sharing check" twice a year, but don't get your hopes up. They will tell you upon interview that part timers can get an upwards of 300$-350$ for a bonus check, but I've never gotten more than in the 200$ range after working over 30 hours a week regularly. They're taxed about 40%, so whereas it might be for 300$, you're only seeing maybe 200$ish of that money. You get more based on how much money you've made in the pay period; therefor, full-time management get massive bonus checks which can be upper hundreds to thousands of dollars.

JOB SECURITY: Pretty good, actually. I've only seen a handful of people fired throughout my three years. Usually grocery stores have a very high turnover rate, but my store seems to keep people for a decent amount of time. Transferring stores is usually never a problem either. People are often promoted from inside the store as well. Many of my store managers never went to college and worked their way up starting in lower-positions.

Work/Life BALANCE: During the holidays people usually get more hours than usual, but my manager is understanding and usually will not give someone more hours than they request, and days requested off are usually respected. I've never seen a family emergency or anything such being disrespected. There are usually the good employees who will pick up the slack for someone who may be having a hard time at the moment.

LOCATION: Average. Not amazing but not bad. Just like anywhere else you have your awful customers and great customers. There are regular customers who are known scam-artists, coupon fiends, and shoplifters who will make your day terrible sometimes. There is a couple restaraunt/bars nearby which usually results in erratic drunk people at odd hours of the day as well. Also a low-rent neighborhood nearby brings in a decent amount of trash as well.

CO-WORKER COMPETENCE: For the most part, good. I enjoy working with most of my coworkers. Those with negative or bad attitudes are usually fired pretty quickly, or they quit on their own merit. Managers take precision in hiring people who aren't completely useless - usually. Many young people in their early 20s are often thrown into Asst Manager positions, are often inexperienced, and given the responsibility of hiring new people. DO NOT LET YOURSELF BE PULLED INTO RETAIL FOREVER. The sound of being an Asst Manager or Department Manager may sound nice, but for how much you are responsible for, it's not worth it.

OVERALL: A decent place for a first job, respectful, and not too terrible work. Not any worse than anywhere else, really. Just don't stay here forever. Go to college.

From Charlotte NC — 04/10/2010

I am a former employee I worked for HT for seven years. I worked at 10 different stores before I was unfairly let go in Feb. I worked in every dept and helped in anyway I could. I worked 21 days in a row without a day off when I was part time for HT. I put sometimes my personal life on hold just because someone did not come in. I helped close stores and help open the new ones it didnt matter I loved working for this company I thought them as my second family. I just want to say I wished they did not let me go because the next company that picks me up will be getting one heck of a employee.

From Northern Virginia — 05/21/2009

I was a produce manager for Harris Teeter. Had to leave a few years back due to relocation for family reasons. If not for that I would still be working there. Upper management sometimes had some unrealistic expectations, but overall, a great place to work. I was guaranteed 46 hours, very rarely required to work more than that. I knew what I was doing and was left alone. Had a good relationship with managers, district managers, and corporate staff.

From VA — 03/10/2009

I worked as a cashier for Harris Teeter.

MANAGEMENT: Each of my managers were very friendly and did everything to see to it that customers were happy and that I was trained. However, they were often very stressed and overworked. They give feedback constantly. Reviews are frequent.
DUTIES: What you would expect. Secret shoppers frequently visit the store and your results are posted for all of the other employees to view. It's pretty straight-forward. When things get slow, you help with stocking items around the registers and cleaning.
COWORKERS: Everyone is so friendly. It's very team oriented.
CONS: I was not happy with getting warnings because of my register not balancing. I worked from 3pm until 11pm most evenings. Although they tried to keep only a few people on each register, other people take over for you while you're on your breaks. I am confident that I was not making mistakes, as I've been working on a register for 7+ years with OVER/SHORT reports showing that I didn't make mistakes. An assistant manager approved a suspicious check after the customer's first check (under a different account #) was declined. She processed the check under my ID number and I later got into trouble for accepting the check. It was documented in my employee file and she didn't stand up and acknowledge that she approved it despite me going to her and explaining that I felt it was suspicious. I was often asked to work past my requested hours. I did it because I liked my managers and wanted to help out my coworkers. The constant repetitiveness of leaning over the cart and bagging groceries killed my back. I can remember my back feeling tingly in addition to pain. We didn't have enough baggers so most cashiers do the bagging.