Working at Harkins Theatres — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Harkins Theatres pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Harkins Theatres

From Chandler — 04/08/2010

Well, if you're looking for an after-school job, very-first job or a part-time job(like I was), Harkin's Theatres is a decent jumping point for job experience. The minimum wage salary kind sucked and you did have to work an insanely amount of hours to get a decent check(around $427.00=98 hours!!!).
The employees at Harkin's Theatres are for the most part friendly. Most are High School kids, some are young adults, and others are older adults like myself(28 years old). Everyone has their own personality and it helps to pass the time while we're cleaning the auditorioums, selling popcorn in concessions, or just standing around in the janitors closets, waiting for the next movie to get out. The Upper Management, i.e., General and Senior Managers need to be more friendly. I tried to say good morning to the General Manager a couple times and he just walked by. He didn't even acknowledge that I was there. And the other time a Senior Manager had us clean the entrance doors with Q-tips and coffee filters. And when I questioned his "method", all of a sudden it was blasphomy. It is true that there is favoritism among the Assistant Managers. They have the say on who gets Team Member, who gets the day off without giving two-days notice, and who works Door or Usher for a month straight. So sometimes your gripes kinda fall on deaf ears. To be honest, all the Managers are decent hard-working individuals. They just forgot that they used to be in the same positions like Team Member and Team Leaders. But overall, Harkin's Theatres is an excellent place to work. Whatever your motivations are for working, you'll find it there. Whether it be the Free Movies and Popcorn, meeting new people and making friends, or finding a Girlfriend. Pick your poison, it'll be there at Harkin's Theatres. Oh yeah, Dan Harkins, the owner is a pretty cool down to earth guy.

From Phoenix — 03/25/2010

I have worked off and on for harkins for about 4 years now and I neither hate nor love my job. The pro's? You get free movies (if the showing is not busy), friends are easily made, and "okay money" can be made so long as you are willing to work the hours. The con's? Work becomes very repetative. If you're not in the box office (selling tickets, answering phones, etc), your either and usher (cleaning theatres, sweeping, bathrooms, etc) or in stuck in the concession stand..... or ripping tickets at door (aka the most boring position ever). Another thing that seems to be a trend in the company is favoritism. Unfortunatley, you may have a hard time moving up if you do not make friends with others (especially the higher ranking employees) but that's just how it is I guess. Harkins is not for those who are looking for a great job that makes you a lot of money; with time, comes the raises, promotions, etc. Id have to say that the ideal employee would be a person who has never had a job and/or an individual who is not expecting to live alone (I can't afford it on a team member's wages so trust me, you won't either) however, if you are not in danger of being booted out of your parents house and would like to have a little extra spending money, go for it! put in an application!

From Phoenix — 03/25/2010

I have worked off and on for harkins for about 4 years now and I am neither hating nor loving my job.

From Phoenix, AZ — 09/21/2009

I have been with Harkins Theatres for nearly four years now, and I have been fourtunate enough to find my way into managment. After reading the other reviews on this site, I must say I was a little perturbed. Harkins is not a bad place by any means. In some instances you may find yourself under a ruthless General Manager but most of the GM's I have worked with have been awesome. You just have to go about things with the right attitude.
As to why I love my job, its simple, I love movies. And getting to be behind the scences (sort of) is very exciting. Not only that, but to know that I play a small part in entertaining literally thousands of people. You just cant get that feeling anywhere else.
If you are just starting in the job world chances are you are finding it very hard to get a job. Well I can tell you that I personally have hired many people who have never had a job before. Heck, this is my first job.
Sure we pay minumum wage, but A, good luck finding work anywhere else right now, and B, all we ask you do to is sweep and sell popcorn. This job is so easy, as a matter of fact all of our prices are tax included and rounded off in quaters. You also get to see free movies, and there is enourmous chance of growth.
Now, I have been lucky in that the three different Harkins I have worked at are smaller, where the managment is not too busy freaking out about all of the customers. We are all really down to earth and easy to talk and work with.
If i had to complain, I would say that some of the customers that I have to deal with are a little extreme, and at times the General of Senior Manager can come down pretty hard. But as floor staff you dont really have to worry about that.
All in all, I can say that this job is just the best. I have been told that I have an errily opptimistic view on life and this company, but I dont think so.