Working at Hannaford Supermarkets — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Hannaford Supermarkets pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Hannaford Supermarkets

From New York — 10/03/2010

Working at hannafords was a pretty good 3 year experience. It was definitely the best retail job i worked at and believe me i worked in a lot of retail places throughout the years.

The pay was good here, they hired me at 8 which was great at the time and within 6 months i had already gotten a 1.00 raise (with some help from a manager), and by the time i left i was making 11 dollars, which is really good for a 19 year old part-time flex worker. Also the holiday and Sunday benefits are amazing with a free 1 hour of pay for every 4 hours worked (Sunday Time). FEW retail places do this anymore so i was pleasantly surprised to learn about these Sunday benefits. The department managers in produce where i worked were really lax and treated you fairly most of the time. Although all of them RARELY worked past 3pm leaving the part-time employees on their own until 8 when we closed. They always let us eat any fruit we wanted to which was nice to eat melons daily and try a lot of exotic fruits i never even saw before working there. Career Potential/growth was always a possibility. Full time and department management positions were always opening up. They would let you know by posting it on the break room bulletin board.

There were some problems here too. Employment screening processing was minimal with no drug or background checks. Many people who worked there appeared to be drug users or mentally ill. For my department we closed at 8 so if it was your night to close and a fellow employee worked with you until 4-6 you could guarantee they would be lazy and waste time since they knew it was your ass if it looked messy in the morning and not his since YOU were the one closing. The employees who left early always took advantage of that which really sucked. My manager was a quirky guy and 50 percent of the time didn't do his job well. The orders would always be messed up by him so he would have to make routine stops to other stores to pick up produce when it was obviously just a farce to waste time. He would also always schedule himself 'til 2 or 3pm and never close with us and always forgot our requests off. He was finally fired though so i gotta give the company some credit. As with any retail job you have to deal with the customers who can be complete a**holes. If you were out of a item they blamed you and if you didn't know where something was they would always get really pissed. Bringing back Uboats of garbage, palets and trays of boxed produce was always hell because the customers would never get out of the damn way, they would always get pissed when you said excuse me. It was really annoying.

Other then those few problems which most was to blame on a certain manager i really enjoyed my employment at hannafords and would recommend working here to fellow youth or retail workers looking for a job.

From NY — 06/22/2010

From the top:

Pay: It could be worse. Then again, I have been with them so long that I had better be making as much as I do!

Respect: While they don't make you sit down as they're shitting all over you, management displays a general apathy and lack of concern over the lower workers.

Benefits: Well, if I ever need to go to the hospital, I won't have to pay full price! That's a benefit...isn't it?

Job Security: Sometimes I get the impression that they are out to get me, but then I remember that people who are willing to show up to work evening shifts every day are invaluable. Managers DO NOT LIKE WORKING AFTER 5:00PM!

Work/Life Balance: I think that due to seniority, especially among supervisors, I am able to get to pick which two days I need off every week. And I keep them consistent.

Career Potential/Growth: ABSOLUTELY NONE. I have repeatedly shown my value and have a college degree. This means nothing to them whatsoever. In fact, I think there is resentment towards me keeping me down because nearly all of the managers don't have college degrees. I am only sticking around until I finish my studies to acquire an even better college degree.

Location: It's not in front of my house, but it's only about ten minutes away. Not too shabby!

Co-Worker Competence: Either the ARM in my store gets a thrill from hiring the mentally handicapped (through local agencies) or the store gets some sort of awesome compensation/write-off for doing so. I am banking on the latter, but maybe a bit of the former too. It is really hard to be their supervisor sometimes. Outside of that, we are pretty lucky with everyone else. My fellow supervisors and even our cashiers have brains! All of our high-school age kids are honor roll and the college age kids actually have some real goals!

Work Environment: It is what it is. We can only try to make it a fun place day by day. I try to make it as enjoyable as I can for the people that work under me, while still trying to follow "most" of the rules. :)