Working at Handleman Company — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Handleman Company pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Handleman Company

From Boro TN — 11/05/2008

Boy, I can't wait until the next Reps meeting. We all wonder who or what vendor will trash REPS parent company (Handleman) AGAIN. Maybe the overpaid gang in Troy should actually open their eyes. That will never happen as long as he is getting $660. per hour as a part time close out CEO. Good luck to all the current shareholders, the little bit of revenue and assets are going fast.

From Rice Lake, WI — 09/09/2008

Well, as a former employee, I have some mixed feelings. First of all, I really feel that everyone that has been let go has been betrayed. We listened to the line that said no one was going to lose their job. That was a crock. I looking at it from a distance, I should've seen the writing on the wall a lot clearer. It was inevitable. I feel that the worse part of the whole deal was the fact that there was way more Reps people held onto than Handleman. In the area of the country where I am located, it was quite evident that they did not following the criteria they said the did when deciding who would stay and who would go. They did the exact opposite and started to weed out the Handleman people.

I guess that this is the first time I have really expressed that feeling to more than a few close friends, but time has past and time to let it be known. The Handleman people weren't running the show. The Reps people were. All the decisions that were made, and all the "improvements" were from the Reps people. Reps didn't do anything for Handleman, except for lead to the dissolvement of Handleman. Pretty shrew business take over there. I really do have to give Reps a hand for that, and not be sarcastic about it, it was a smooth take over. And now they are reaping the benefits.

One piece of advice for everyone still working for Reps, watch your backs. Your days are number unless they can find something else to get their hands into.

From Troy MI — 08/07/2008

I worked part-time for Handleman Co. for 10 years, and I have to say it was a good company to work for until Reps came in and took over. I lost all my benefits and my work hours were cut to nearly nothing. I was sent miles to work at Walmart and Kmart for 3 or 4 hours a day. I did recieve mileage, but please, it was not worth the wear and tear on my car. They basically forced me to quit. They fired full time employees that knew how to do their jobs very well and kept Rep employees who knew nothing. It's no wonder Anderson has taken Walmart from Handleman. It's a shame, there were alot of us who really loved our jobs.

From Indianapolis In — 05/14/2008

Spent many years with this company and enjoyed most of them. Unfortunately I fear our time is coming to an end. I don't want to believe all of the rumors but it is hard not to.
I wish the management at the corporate offices would at least step up and give what information they can on the worst kept secret out there. I will miss this company and the majority of the people I have worked with over the years. If only the board had the good sense to oust our brilliant CEO years earlier maybe things would not end like it looks like they will.

From Beckley, WV — 05/13/2008

Pay - Not the best, but the flexibility of the job made it ok.
Respect - Used to be the best
Benefits -Insurance is through the roof, but itís a small company what do you expect?
Job Security - it was at one time great, but has been failing recently
Work Life Balance - Easy to balance work and life, flexibility keeps many on
Career Potential - Not right now.. maybe someday
Location - You're in your home town
Co-Worker Comp - Theres bad and good
Work Environment - its fine.

First I can honestly say that I have never posted on this site. Many of you may have thought it was me, but it wasn't. I'm not hiding. So with that, I want to start by saying, yes this is THE BISHOP in Beckley (jobvent prevents me from listing my actual name, so I think The Bishop will suffice). See, I'm not "hiding" behind a screen name like the rest of you. If you feel so strongly about what you say, then say it. Stop hiding; use your name, your hometown.

What was supposed to be a website for rating a company that you work for has become nothing more than spineless gutless people who have nothing better to do than sit and think of people to blame. Let it go.

The only reason I'm posting to this website is to address Survey Queen (JH) and Lazy Rep's postings which directly attack me:
(Then I'm done, with you and this website)

#1 - Yes, I did find other employment in WV. Guess what, it was right under your nose! As a matter of fact, one of you (with a degree) admittedly applied for this position, and didn't even get an interview.

#2 - The pay is none of your business, but yes, my family is setting pretty well. The amount is none of your (or anyoneís) business. And at the end of the day (or pay period) I'll know exactly what I am making, and it really doesn't matter what you or anyone else thinks.

#3 - You're right. I don't have a college degree. Pretty impressive that I was interviewed for a position based on my experience and presentation skills for a job that required a degree in the ad posting, and guess what, the offer was made to me.

#4 - No, Beany Man (as you call him) did not help me get this position. As a matter of fact, NO ONE in this company knew about my interviewing for this position until I gave my notice Monday. I haven't spoken to Beany Man in a long time, until today when I called to wish him well and say goodbye.

#5 - Who is this company I'm working for? Thatís none of your business either. It's not that I "can't" tell. My true friends know exactly where I am going.

#6 - Back to this again. Stop hiding. Say who you are. Come on out of your shell. Itís easy to be the person behind the screen, be the name on it.

#7 - Keep this website what its for. Post about the job, the duties, the topics that you rate above. You need to leave ones faith, ones weight, and ones friendships out of this. Attacking individual people for the way they look or believe is very low on your part.

#8 - Lastly, post all you want in reply to this or about me on this website. I could care less, and will NEVER know what you say, because I will NEVER visit this site again to read gutless cowardly postings by you. You have NOT gotten the best of me, good luck in all you do.

Now, for all of my Handleman and REPS friends: (you know who you are)

There are Reps people out there and Handleman people out there who are good and there are the bad ones. Only you at the end of the day know which you are. I've had the great fortune of knowing many great people from both companies. I've developed friendships that will last a lifetime on both sides.

Its time to move on to greener pastures for me. Was it because I was demoted? No. Could I not do the job? Come on, I've been more relaxed these past 2 weeks than I've ever been. I know my alphabet. Was it because of the things going on in the company? No. I simply found a job with better benefits and higher pay. I had to do what was right for my family.

I do wish to stay in touch with many of you, and hope you will do the same. If you're one of those people, then you will receive my personal email address if you don't have it already.

Again, its been fun, hard, and sad sometimes, the true friendships developed out of those days will last a lifetime. My best wishes to all of you (HDL and REPS)in everything you do!!!

Best Wishes -

The Bishop

From righthere,ohio — 04/29/2008

First I would like to appologize for all the ingnorant
employees that commented in this section......clearly some were higly lackin intelligence and maturity. I am a former Handleman employee of many years and this job (was)TOTALLY AWESOME! and a VERY respected job in the past. I USED to absolutely LOVE my job and my PASSION to promote music was HUGE......Handleman was an ABSOLUTE GREAT company to work for.....I will not let ANY of YOU IDIOTS take away from what we once were.....Its a different day and age and the retail demand is changing.....such is life.....as for REPS EMPLOYEES......HA!HA!HA!HA!.....they would have NEVER survived the---- REAL---- Handleman Co.......but they will be the only ones left in the end because the true "Handleman" people know what they are worth to the retail industry and will laugh at the joke that this company has become and MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From US — 04/12/2008

The pay is fine for the job that they have us do. They all repect you. The reason everyone is mad is their jobs are being taken away. If you were smart you would have been looking for a new job a year ago. Everyone knows CDs are going away thats not the companys fault. They tried to stay a float. A for all the former REPS people, how may times did your company owner sale you off to someone else. They must have not had faith in you either. Handleman is like any company today. They had too many employees. So some people had to go. Have you not been paying attention? In the US there were 80,000 jobs lost just in March. Handlman didn't let all of the peolpe go. I worked for Handlman for 6 years and I would have never done some of the things you guys are writing about. I just left on my on terms a month ago. Some of you a just getting treated like you treated your job. Although you people seem to want Handleman to just go under, you just stupid and mad you don't work there any more. I sure you know some one that still works there and do you want to see them lose their job too. Good luck finding a job if your going to treat it like you did this one. I hope you don't come to me for a job some day.

From US — 01/16/2008

I like my job, the area you work in has alot to do with how much you like this job I think. I love my DM couldn't have a better boss and my RM is good too. You can't beat having a company car that's the biggest benifit. The surveys and computer work isn't that bad I've seen worse jobs. If you know how to read emails and plug a cord in the usb port then your set. I have plenty of time to do what I want every night, life is good!! They isn't much growth right now, but thats to be expected with the merger and the trend of CD sales. These days no matter what company you work for you have to worry about your job. I drive an hour and half to stores, but that comes with the territory of the job your a travaling vender. You think you might have to drive a little? You have part timers under you and that can go either way. The company will help you hire or you can do all the hiring in you territory. So you have all the control of who your part timers are. If you hire good people then you have nothing to worry about. If you give your part timers the right info then you have nothing to worry about when they do surveys. The work environment depends on the store. Some times your in one to four stores in one day so after four stores you might be a little on the edge, but it just people skills. You have to know how to work people as well as the product. Don't take everything as life or death and you'll be fine. I have a couple of my family members that work for the company too, and they have mostly the same opinions about Handleman. When it comes to being a vender I wouldn't want to work for any ohter company. I work around enough venders for other companys to now this place isn't that bad and compared to them this is good. All I have to say is at least I don't work for Anderson. Ha Ha