Working at Halsted Communications — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Halsted Communications pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Halsted Communications

From NEW YORK — 01/20/2010

i've worked for halsted for several years. i started as a tech and worked very hard and i am a tech sup now. i have very few complaints about halsted or upper mang. they will work with you if you need time off as long as its not the same day at 7am in the morning. they only ask for 2 weeks notice for vacation. most of these people on here that are "whining and complaning" are the ones that come in to work and state they need the day off only after they see there work for the day. when you are hired you are told you will travel and you will have to work in all sorts of weather conditions. most of these people on here complaning still work for halsted, if you dodnt like your job why are you still working for them??? I LIKE WORKING FOR HALSTED!!!!!

From anywhere — 11/20/2009

Alright, so Ive read the postings on here a few times, and if I get my guess right none of you that put the effort into posting things on here will probably ever be back to check on your little nest eggs of negativity.
I have been with Halsted for five or so years, and really, depite all the downsides, its not that bad. I have been in the communications industry for quite some time during which I have contracted for numeours companies in various fields, from sat to catv, from phone to security and just about everything else in between.

It's really rather simple... I have yet to find any company in the NE united states that is a prefect employer with a perfect paycheck that always treats me like I would hope for.. I have found many that still owe me money (seven and eight and more) years later, with no chance in hell of getting paid.

To all the points I can remember from everyone who has sounded off on here... Yes, Whitey can be loud and sware, and garuntee so can everyone who typed the f- bomb in their post.. Yes, truck break down, if you think the trucks here are old and broken, try and buy and maintain your own, magnify the headache times nine hundred and tell me how you feel. I saw something on here about everyone lieing to everyone about everything.. Thats funny, how many times has your local state representative, or any real official told you the truth.. Do me a favor and ask yourself when the last time you lied was.. I am guessing it was recently..

I really hate to say it folks... but the industry is the industry.. if you want to do sat work great, if not, go find something else to do.. It takes a rare and special breed of human to be a successful sat tech,.. The hours can and (many times) will be long.. The heat is always on in the summer and the air conditioner is on allo winter and you might even get wet.. If you can get past these prinicles and maybe keep a positive attitude while some complete stranger tells you how much they want this or that thing done (that isnt on your order and you may not get paid for) and you just do it for the sake of humanity and maybe a tip.. I could go on through the list but it isnt worth the time..

Many of you who think Halsted is the problem.... most likely you folks are the problemm.. It isnt halsted the put you out so late.. Its the guy who calls off every other day that you work with and maybe even hang out with on the weekends.. There is something to be said for sat company who pays me on time, treats me like a human being occasionally, and continues to keep me employed in really shitty economy..

In no way am i saying that agree with everything that goes on within the company, because I dont. Then again, there are other people who are in the driver's seat and its their job to do as they see fit.

You know, I think it comes down to the idea that.. ITS A JOB! and I really dont think there is a perfect employer out there.. I really dont.. Or at least I havent found it yet..

From Ballston Spa,Ny — 12/07/2008

Ok so im employed by halsted comm, been doing it for awhile and was reading some of the comments on here.Now im not one to complain about my job...too much...haha but as a tech out in the field i want to clear a few things up.1st the building that you call center people work in isnt a mobile home by any means. It is a warehouse that is how warehouses look.They did alot to get it to look presentable, you have a nice office with stainless rugs you have heat you have light...thats all you need to answer your phones and help out the techs that are out there on holidays, blizzards,ice storms,down pours,-20 degree weather,110 degree weather.As a tech you deal with 400 mile routes, all the elements,crap equipment,rude mean and obnoxius customers,16 hr days,dangerous jobs that you couldnt even comprehend,shortages of equipment. Thats not even half of it...you want to complain about the building well i got news for you i walk into houses that are so gross that you actually have to go outside to throw up moments after walking in. Places that you dont now how it isnt condemed.Or how about calling in a nlos...you have to hit a few keys and it takes a minute, techs have to spent 45min arguing with the customer that they have trees in the ways before they even call you.Or how bout this...how many islands have you been stuck on because the customer refuses to bring you make to your van until you do the job that you cant do because the island is all trees with no view of the south west. Try that on.or how bout this techs are awake and on the road before you even thought to get up and most of the time are out still working or on the way home from there last job after you have already went to bed.Enough with that back to topic. Respect is different at this company you earn and loose it on the ability to think under extreme pressure while still getting the job done neatly and correctly quickly. Pay is also different than most because it is hard to judge because it varies per job its all about line items not compexity of the job. Example a high def 5 box install sounds difficult because of the amount of line items on the order but could be extremely easy because the dish could go anywhere that is quick and easy to put up and is close to a ground, and the house could be prewired so all you have to do is run the lines from the dish hook up the prewire and bring in boxes boom 5 box install 6hr time job done in 45min to an hour easy 107 dollars. or it could be a 1 box standard install where the nearest los is 300ft away from the house,cm wants cable buried,and the cable to run threw a crawl space that has a opening on one side of the house and the rooms on the other side. Now you spent 5hrs on a 1 hr job to make 47bucks and the day is shot your calling in eta's and dealing with pissed off customers. So thinkin about that a techs check could be anywhere from 300 to 1300 a week depending on how the week goes. Work/life balance, it can be tough you just work around it. Career advances yes but not worth it better to remain a tech more money and less responsibility. Would explain but i would use up the rest of my room. Location isnt so much a factor being that you could be in any town in ny vt mass penn depending on work load. Co-workers are great you meet up in the morning talk about some of the stuff that happened the day before shoot the breeze start your day call the tech sups bug em joke with em its great. work environment is crazy. any element. read top if you need a refresher. or short version... we work in weather the mail man wont even work in. we work on jobs that if osha ever saw what we have to do they would cry litterally cry. But overall i love my job and wouldnt change it for anything. It takes a special breed to do this job and thats why we have a turnover rate of about 115 percent. By the way they lie to you in the interview and all through training.Im not sure if they changed that aspect yet like i said i was hired a long time ago.

From new york — 08/21/2008

i have worked for halsted for 2 years. i am very happy with halsted they do offer plenty of advancement if you work for it!!
yes we do travel out of town but we are told this when we are interviewed. what i dont understand is one guy said he worked for them for 2 plus year and was not happy, my question to that is why did he stay for two years? they do pay pice rate so you make what you work for. if you show respectyou get respect with managment and coworkers. the benifits are good and you pay as much as any place elts would work. there is job security if you do your work as you get it. as for work life balance if you work and not get cought up on the little thing you can get home to family at a good time. you can move up the "ladder" if you work hard i got up to tech sup in my 2 years. if you are booked to work a long way from the shop that is because you able to due the job with out any worrys.if you are one to go help others when get done early then when you need help others will help you.halsted is a very good company to work for i would recomend it to my family and friends for a job if they needed one.