Working at Hallmark Cards Inc — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Hallmark Cards Inc pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Hallmark Cards Inc

From Kansas City — 04/12/2010

I have worked for many companies throughout my career. I have never found a company with the moral compass more true north than Hallmark. Many companies today are facing a challenging environment and are struggling to adapt quickly to chainging consumer needs and a distressed economy. Hallmark is no different and what you hear from many of the posts is that reality. The great thing about this company is the dedicated ownership, employees and consumers who love the brand I have complete confidence that Hallmark will again prosper and with it their employees as well.

Times are tough right now but I could not think of a better company to count on than Hallmark.

From Sacramento — 12/28/2009

This was my first job and I think that if you are going into work for the first time...if you are a teenager going to high school or a college student this job will be nice to start out. I have to say it was very easy. It can be hard physically opening new shipments climbing up the ladder getting boxes down and moving the card racks and all but it wasnt that bad. The manager that I had was very nice and understanding. My schedule was so flexible they will work around your school schedule. When I was really sick they didnt write me up or anything, i would call my work and tell them that I might be 5 minutes late and they wouldnt even mind cause I had the courtesy to call but they did not get upset. All of the girls I worked with were pretty nice. It can be an extremely laid back job especially during the summer! it can get crazy during the ornament events and special holidays etc.

I have to say my experience here was good. The only reason I left was that I felt it wasnt challenging enough. It started to get boring and I wanted to do more. But other than that this job isnt so bad. Its good if you are a student or just want to make second income.

From south east — 07/02/2009

Worked as a RM for several years. My hours have been cut yet again. I keep hearing "be glad you have a job" and that is just b.s. My stores sales are up again this year, but my hours are cut in half?! Vacation gone, raises eliminated this year, first the number of days cut, then hours cut in half. This company offers no benefits, no career growth, job security doesn't exist - if we don't do it their way and FAST we're gone. They don't care if we can't get the cards out in their alloted time frame -- all "higher ups" care about is making themselves look good on paper!!!!

From birmingham. alabama — 04/23/2009

If your looking for some spending money and you are a stay at home mom with children in school, this job is for you. Pay is low but the flexibilty is priceless. I am able to attend all field trips and take off when needed. So, basically it is a retiree, stay-at-home mom or just someone looking for extra change position.

From anderson sc — 01/06/2009

Hallmark is a good company to work for but the pay and benefits could be a lot better.

From Capital District, NY — 06/23/2008

Well, I've worked here for about 5 years now, started in high school and am still here a month after college (but only because I'm trying to land my dream job). Pay is...not the best. I think its a great job though for high schoolers or if you want a job in college thats really flexible. Or if you're retired I guess!

Respect? Depends. My boss is great, he's like a second father to me. Never unreasonable and Ive only been "yelled at" for wearing jeans or if he caught us sitting on the counters, haha. He should pay us more though, he makes enough money. Customers can be bitchy and expect you bend over backwards but I feel like its no different at any other retail job. There are a lot of nice people though, especially all the old ladies getting their cards, hehe.

Security- You must be retarded to be fired. Some people are consistently 20 minutes late to work and they dont get reprimanded. Only 2 people Ive seen fired were idiots who stole money.

Work/Life Balance- Its retail...You get as many hours as you want. Can get crazy though during Christmas if your mall is open til 11pm and you have exams to study for...Only for a few weeks though.

Growth? Ha. you operate a cash register.

location - theres probably like 5 hallmarks within 10 miles of my house

Coworkers - can be really idiotic high schoolers. but a lot of fun people that are great to go out with. ive made 2 really great friends that id trust my life with

work environment - pretty relaxed. except during christmas. i think its pretty fun.

ive read through a lot of negative reviews and i feel that maybe they worked at corporate stores? i work at a privately owned hmark so maybe thats the difference.

overall, i've loved my job here! my boss is great, i love working with most of my coworkers. definitely recommended to h.s. and college kids.