Working at Goodwill — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Goodwill pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Goodwill

From Rockville, MD — 03/07/2010

Goodwill Industries International Inc. is made up of memberships. Each member has an assigned territory, officers (president, cfo, etc), board of directors, etc. Then there is the Member Service Center (MSC) in Rockville, MD. I worked at the MSC for a number of years.

Respect: I found respect given out was focused on what is best for the company. If an employee doesn't toe the same line as their supervisor's or management's than the employee gets no respect.

Work/life balance: Just words, no actions. This depends on the supervisor or dept head's stance.
Career growth: In the dept that I worked in, there was no career growth possible.
Work environment: The building design/color scheme is interesting. Offsets, a bit of the negatives above.

Supervisors: There was no mentoring supervisors' program in place. I was a supervisor and when I made a decision, management decided I was wrong, I got smacked down hard by several managers, not just one. Later I learned that the employee guide had a policy that backed my decision, if I had but only known. :(~ That office needs a supervisor mentoring program to help supervisors. If nothing else, but to compare notes.

From St. Petersburg, FL — 01/26/2010

I actually enjoy working here. There definitely are some frustrating things. Like practically NO benefits for part time employees. There's also not a whole lot of room for movement. Other than that, I find my bosses to be delightful, my pay to be fair and generally have little to no complaints.

From Orland Park — 01/12/2010

To those interested in reading, I will try to give an honest/fair review. Let me start by saying this is not a job for everyone. You have to deal with customers who are typically poorer than your average retail store customers, and there are alot of customer who are handicapped (both physically and mentally). You work with used items people donate, some would call this junk people donít want to throw out so they donate it. This stuff is often dirty and smells. The management hierarchy is such: goodwill associate, assistance manger, manger. Before we get to the assistance manager / manager, lets break down the associates. The bottom of the ladder are the newly hired associates, everyone picks on them, they get assigned the worst jobs and criticized. As a new hire youíll be cleaning/moping the bathrooms, dusting the shelves, cleaning up the parking lot. Next associates are the cashiers, you stand in line and ring people up. Its boring, customers complain about prices. Customers are rude, and youíre expected to keep busy even when thereís no one to ring up. Next itís the floor associates, the people who work on the sales room floor, stocking up the items, arranging the clothes, etcÖ To get to this point you have to have worked at Goodwill for about two months or longer. Your job is better, because you get to slack off a bit. You can walk around the store, do your job and at the same time get to talk to others working, just donít let the manger see this. You still get picked on to help the cashier when its really busy by either bagging customer purchases, or ringing people up. Plus if the manager is in a bad mood, you have to help clean the store up. Additionally, and the following varies from store to store, once a week or once every 2-3 weeks, as a floor associate you have to help clean the store by throwing out merchandise that has been sitting for a while and no one wants to purchase. The final associate is the donation worker/back-room worker. These folks work in the back of the store, they take in customer donations. They also set the prices. This is the best associate. To get to here you need to kiss up a lot, and it helps if you have friends in the back to put in a good word for you. Itís the easiest job in the store. A lot of time to goof off when the boss isnít watching.

Now to management. You have the assistance managers, there can be anywhere from 3 per store, to 5-7 per store. There job is set by the manger, who tells them what needs to get done in the store. The assistant manager is like a colonel in the army. He makes sure the store is clean, and makes sure everyone is working and doing their job. Most importantly, assistance managers deal with the customer. They talk with the customer if there is a problem. They also work on the floor, stocking, cleaning, etc. But the worst part is they take verbal abuse from the store manager.

The store manager is a real mean person. They have to meet profit quotas. They deal with corporate office and make sure the store is making enough money, that means they yell as the assistance mangers to raise prices, etc. They deal with the real business aspects of the store. I wonít go into details about store managers, because I personally feel that whomever reads this comment is more concerned about the positions below the head honcho.

This is a real generic review of the store hierarchy, but it gives you a very basic idea of how the place works. And in my opinion, this is a horrible job. Its one step above flipping burgers, but definitely not a good place to work.

From Rockville, MD — 12/03/2009

Goodwill offered me a position straight out of graduate school and accepting the job was one of the best decisions I've ever made. My colleagues are competent, caring and collaborative--both in professional and off-the-clock interactions. Though I am one of the youngest members of the organization, I have consistently been treated with respect. In addition, the compensation and benefits allow me to live comfortably in the DC metro area, where I can take advantage of many professional and cultural opportunities. I feel very fortunate to have found such a supportive organization early in my professional career.

From Bartlett — 11/28/2009

I can't believe people don't enjoy working at Goodwill. I guess it depends on the kind of people you're working with and all that, but I've never worked anywhere better. I'm part-time, but everyone full-time gets great benefits. The starting pay is $8.75, which is much higher than any other part-time job around. Managers make (I think) like $14-$16 starting, and they get bonuses every month! I love working at Goodwill.