Working at GNC Corporation — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about GNC Corporation pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at GNC Corporation

From dallas,tx — 04/09/2010

pay could be nicer;conditins are good;customrs r fantsstic (we are helping people in their life..think about it)
yes, we have goals but who would work for compny that sets no goals or just drifts along . that is how they go bust.
i wortked in retail before and had it tuff but here, i get respect and appreciation. if someone doesn't then maybe they don't deserve it ? don't get me wrong-not everything is perfect but we did well even thru the recession and mangement has good plans for growing of company. wht's to hate? just becaseu we have expectations? LIFE has expectations. anyway, let's keep things in persepctive. the big boss was in recently and he spent time with me as part timer that is pretty cool and never happend before in other places i worked.

From Arkansas — 03/25/2010

I have been with the company for 3 and a half years and I LOVE it!!! I have worked as a part timer, as a manager, and now a senior store manager. I honestly don't understand why people give it such negative reviews, specially about goals and expectations. ALL corporate companies have those. I have yet to struggle to meet any stipulations set on me by the company. My customers love my store, my customer service, and my products. I have successfully turned 3 different stores into number one stores in the region, so my job security is not under question. I had realistic expectations going to work in retail, and haven't been let down. I have realized that lack of training has a lot to do with self motivation and willingness to pick up a training binder and read a few pages a day. The grass always seems greener on the other side, but this company has done a great job taking care of me and treating me as an individual. I overall love my job and look forward to going to work every morning.

From New York — 01/06/2010

I have been working for GNC for a few years now. Retail is retail - it is all about getting results. I started as a sales associate and was promoted to store manager. I have the ability to operate my store the same way I would if I owned it - and that is a great feeling. I treat my team with respect and I am respected. I work for a company that helps people live a better life. GNC has outstanding quality products - they have a great selection - and people who know about the product and can help the customers. I would suggest GNC to anyone who wants to work in retail - the company has been good to me - they are expanding and are truly the leaders in the industry. If you want a position in retail that will give you the opportunity to advance - GNC is the place to work.. I love my job and I love the company I work for.

From New England — 05/19/2008

GNC is a good company to work for over all. If you're a hardworking individual you reap the benefits not the problems. At GNC your job is excellent customer service, and some busy work when there are no customers. If you're a manager benefits are great, if you're a hard working associate you can move up very quickly with the proper motivation. Your job is secure at GNC as long as you're honest and do your job.

From New England — 05/08/2008

Bunch of crybabies out here. Sure GNC isnt the best but ive had far worse jobs. pay for part timers is TOO MUCH! They make min. wage plus commision ($5 for a hydroxycut when customers come in asking for them) all part timers have to do is shipment and cleaning and rotation for actual work. then just sell a little. absolutley nothing to complain about there. managers are a little underpaid, but we dont really have to do a lot of work for that matter either and i run a top 500 store. put in your 40 hours and thats it. growth is easy, started as a part timer at 18 in college, ssm by 23. for most this wouldnt be a career but a good stepping stone. some here have complained about loss prevention, but being "dicks" is there job. and they cannot fire anyone to be exact, but put in recomendations to upper management. all in all not a bad company to work for (especially part time with low workload and good pay) i sit on my ass alot, do some paperwork, sell a little to keep them happy, go to other stores and tell them what there doing wrong and get my check.

From Palm Beach County, F — 07/20/2007

I have spent the better half of five years working for this company…specifically REGION 2 DIVISION 12.

I began at a time when they had a once a month event called Super Tuesday and back then GNC paid in DOLLARS, not percentages as they do now. During this time it was not uncommon for an associate to make forty or fifty bucks a shift and closer to one hundred fifty during that event.

Apparently the powers that be weren’t retaining enough money to buy their kids new ‘Vettes every year for their birthday and began paying cents on the dollar, first 4% than a couple months later, 3%. You get the idea.

First off, before I really get going, I started as an associate, then manager, then acting SSM (who wasn’t paid for it, not that fifty bucks is a big deal per week when you could make easily at your own store if you were in it!)

I have had 3 regional sales directors, one whom I witnessed rubbing expiration dates off products, another whom spent all his time at one store with an attractive female manager with a very…easy demeanor and the latest whom no one knows how he still has his job or even how he got it in the first place. No company I have ever worked for micromanages better then GNC does, likewise I have never seen so much disconnect within the hierarchy. The higher up the food chain you go, the less it seems they actually know about their positions. You have marketers designing crap on AutoCAD but have never been inside an actual store, and whose sole job it is to make someone above them think they are doing their job at all.

Customer service is a joke, they only back the customer, even when they are direct you to act out of accordance with policy. This of course is where loss prevention comes in. Understand all but few of these guys/gals are people whom never made it to white collar crimes at the FBI, and boy do they ever show it. LP works for the company, not for the people who work for the company. When LP is in the area, whether for an inventory or for a critical point audit (CPA) you should be aware that they are always plenty of things for them to find that if they wanted to, could indeed fire you on the spot. These big DICK Tracey’s are, like our friends in marketing, out to impress their bosses.

Their “clever” “promotions” are, I swear, designed to piss off the customer, as the “promos” change twice a month. Numbers, regardless of circumstances will get you into trouble. You must sell so many Gold Cards, Multivitamins, maintain 50% GNC brand product versus 3rd part (3rd party pays higher PMs). You must maintain positive numbers versus last year, acquire new customers daily, have a high dollar average ticket, sell at least 2-3 units per customer. You must keep returns/exchanges below a single digit percent.

All this can be yours for minimum wage and a quarter raise at the end of the year!!! (35 cents if your good on your knees).

I cannot see GNC keeping its doors open the way they allow things to be run. Someone needs to pull their heads out of the sand, is it any wonder there are so many take-overs and lawsuits all over the country? I am glad someone has mentioned the company that I think will overtake GNC, probably within five years, because right now it looks like GNC is goin’ down faster then Jenna Jameson at a frat party.

I have said a lot her so let me clarify my positions…
Pay- minimum wage and commission.
Respect- What’s that?
Job security- “Ya want fries with that?” is likely in your future.
Work/life balance- Not too bad, unless you get promoted.
Career Growth- With very few exceptions, you better know someone.
Location- Great, convenient locations to work at…mostly.
Co-worker competence- Hit or miss, they only pay newbies minimum wage.
Work environment- NEVER ever turn your back. Ever. Even to sleep.