Working at giant food stores — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about giant food stores pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at giant food stores

From pa — 07/22/2010

I have worked at giant for two years. For the most part the job is good i have the standard customers i can stand and those i can't. My biggest complaint is the fact that I have been asking to get behind the customer service desk since my second or third month there. All the time i see people who don't know how to do the very basics of their job ( or don't want to) get put behind the desk. I see people who haven't worked there six months get there too. The manager told me that if i wanted behind the desk i should stop talking to my coworkers so much. But all the people who are behind the desk do is talk to each other and everyone around them.

From Virginia — 05/19/2010

I just started as a bagger at a Giant Store, and I do love my job at Giant, the Giant is pretty close to my house so the location is good, the pay is good. All of the manager respected there employees, I think all of the of the employees get along with there supervisor at the store that I'm at.
I like the discount that I get when I by groceries.

From cleona, pa — 08/17/2009

I worked at the Giant store in Cleona, PA back in 2000.

I was a customer service associate (aka a BAGGER). My hourly rate was below today's minimum wage, but it was decent at the time.

My only real gripe with the job was that I never worked on the weekdays.

The Cleona Giant lacks many of amenities found in the newer 'Super Giants.'

From Lancaster PA — 03/18/2009

I started working for Giant as a high school student, and worked my way up to a position that wasn't "management" but had a great deal of responsibility attached, so my perspective is probably different than most. I was well-respected by my managers, and most were great about making sure people who did a good job knew their efforts were appreciated. On the other hand, you're not respected much by the customers, because most people think if you work in a service job, you're dumb as a rock.

As a full-time associate, the pay was decent, but the benefits really make up for any shortcomings. There is nowhere you can work that offers better benefits for less cost. I really miss that now that I'm paying an arm and a leg at my new job. Job security is good; you pretty much only get fired for not bothering to show up or for stealing. They work with you on pretty much everything else.

For part-time associates, the work/life balance is great, with very flexible schedules, and when you punch out to leave, work stays at work. It's slightly less so for full-time associates, because you're forced to work certain less desirable shifts from time to time (i.e. one evening a week). There is career potential there, if you're willing to sell your soul. The work/life balance definitely tips in a bad way if you enter management, but I think the compensation might make up for it, if money's what counts for you and you don't have a family to take care of.

As for coworker competence and the work environment, well, it's a grocery store. It's not necessarily the best and brightest working there, and, well, it's a grocery store. I worked there a long time, and if I ever needed to, I'd definitely go back.

From York, PA — 03/17/2009

Well I've been working at Giant for over 2 years now and I must say overall it is a good place to work. It's right by my house and the benefits are great. Although if you start part time you have to wait 1 year till you get health insurance and two years till you get vision and dental. A good 401k program is offered. And the health insurance is good if you choose the HMO. They only take 7.50 off your paycheck a week for it. Pay is my only major problem with Giant. They start you off like
$1 above the minimum wage. I've been there only 2 years now and I'm only making 9.35 an hour with an extra $1 for Sunday. Full timers make about 10 to start (excluding the managers who make a lot more. Breaks are good as you get a paid 15 minute break for a 6 hour shift. And if you work an 8.5 shift you get a lunch and two 15 minute breaks. The work environment tends to be very fun at times. Most of you co workers are okay and you will make some new fiends. Although watch what you say (there tends to be a lot of snitches in the store). Job security is awesome. It's very hard to get fired unless you don't show up or steal stuff. The potential of advancement is good. But it might take you a few years. Top management is awesome and they are well trained and respect the employees. But department managers don't tend to treat you as well and some disrespect you but if you a tough person you can suck it up. Overall I say the pay prevents Giant from being a great company to work for but it has been good to me. A good 2nd job.

From Carlise, PA — 02/23/2009

Corporate Office, pay is great, management is very competent and receptive, you have your issues with internal staff just as with any other company as well. There is a lot of room for growth and promotion potential, depending on your work area, however if you are flexible you potential increases. The work environment is somewhat up-tight, but it is a corporate environment so that is to be expected, you don't get all the holidays off you would working for most other companies, but you work for a very stable industry, and are respected and valued by peers and management from day one. As with anything in life you get what you put into, and here if you donít contribute or provide the right effort you will be gone, they maintain a very talented staff and strive to keep it that way.