Working at Genentech — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Genentech pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Genentech

From Atlanta, GA — 02/16/2010

As a commercial field-based employee, I believe this is an amazing place to work. Sr. Management consistently finds ways to engage our talented people in running the business - setting strategy and developing tactics. The pay is very good, especially at the field level. It is truly a pay for performance environment. The company has amazing benefits albeit slightly skewed towards women. While it is a work-hard/play-hard place, my only beef is that sometimes we do too much through collaboration rather than single point decision making and accountability. There is also a lack of significant career pathing opportunities outside of South San Francisco.

From South San Francisco, CA — 08/11/2009

This was the best contract assignment I have had since moving to the bay area 10 years ago. I've worked for a lot of big names and some small ones. I had a total of three contracts in a three year period. The first one was cool, because I had a great boss, but I had to work in a make-shift cube near the labs (we were in finance) and they stunk! It was very short term, so I didn't care. My second and third contracts were back to back and they were both with the best boss and teams I've ever worked with for 2 major IT implementations. I worked at home every Friday; they let me do overtime when it was needed and I did a lot, seeing that 2009 was expected to be a very down year! They also provide free transportation for east bay employees via coach buses if you are willing to get up at 5:30 am! I would go back to this company any day and I don't think Roche will have too bad of an influence, otherwise they will lose valued Research staff!

From South San Francisco — 01/12/2009

This was one of the best places I've ever worked. Like any company it has its politics and other quirks, but I'd go back there in a heartbeat. The people in my department were among the best colleagues I could imagine having, and we all constantly learned from one another and fed off each others' energy. I felt respected by even the most senior scientists (I had a a non-science position), many of whom were world-renowned.