Working at Geico Insurance (Sales Dept) — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Geico Insurance (Sales Dept) pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Geico Insurance (Sales Dept)

From fredericksburg , va — 08/26/2010

Geico is good for the kiss ass employees It is not a work "friendly" environment in fact you get to close to your team you will be moved to a different section .You can never feel secure in your job since they are always being moved to another state. Supervisors are free to refer to their employees as being a bitch or belittling them in front of the rest of their team with little to no consequences. They make goals that are next to impossible to meet and thats OK since something like say calls per feature is only 20% of your score so if a ph calls in makes a claim advises they can not be on the phone for a 3way conversation but the car is at the shop you then HAVE to call the repair facility , if you get told yes the car is there but they are not done with the diagnosis to call back in a hour , if you do there goes 20% of your grade since it is then 3 calls, after 4 days and no bill you guessed it you gotta call them and ask to have it sent in there is another 20% coming off your score .They can make a exception for a policy holder who has the money but raises hell to get them to pay one ded . But let someone on a fixed income have the same type of claim if they do not raise hell then they get sep ded for each unrelated failure which is what the rules state can we say UNFAIR claims?
The worst part is while some places like sales is easy to work for since they can bend the truth , the other departments like claims / service and mbi get the fall out .
If you are over the age of 45 fully vested and have health problems , be on the look out for a new job they will do all they can to get rid of you .. Step one deny Fmla give the doctors hell on what they place on it for why its a chronic condition and ask them to specify the days you will be out and exactly when the next migraine or heart attack will happen and while they dick around with that your dependability slowly goes down , once under 97% termination time . Get placed into the hospital for pneumonia, have Fmla for copd when you call the sup to advise you have been admitted they start with your stats will fall due to not handling calls or your pending . Have a pulmonary embolism while at work on New years day, and what happens to the sup who is doing all he can to keep you from going into shock and trying to save your life he gets reprimanded because the phones are not being answered. NICE. Diabetics know that part of keeping your sugar regulated is to eat rite and do the shots on schedule, explain it to a sup and for a whopping 2 weeks they MIGHT work with you but then you are rite back to square one different times everyday.. Take water pills for blood pressure / heart well lets pray you can wait till the scheduled break to pee if not ask permission and make sure to document how long you where in there because that has to go under the Fmla.
The turn over ratio at Geico is a lot people get sick of the rules changing from day to day and something as simple as a company wide dress code is only followed in some department while others will be allowed to wear say shorts on a weekend , but let someone n say MBI do it and they get sent home.. I had on file a doctors note stating I have to wear tennis shoes has been on file for years , once a year I was pulled n the office and grilled when the manager knew it was on file . Here in Fredericksburg Mary Washington has a name for people coming into the er w/ migraines , anxiety attacks , illness attributed to stress and when they find where you work its called GSD = geico stress disorder. I started to loose the use of my hands docs where not sure if it was neruorapthy or carpal tunnel. If was effecting my typing there for call handling time , i got to the point I could not open a bottle and was losing the use of them since I would not lie and say it was due to the diabetes which was Fmla but that could be c/t i was given the choice resign or wait 6 months till I had the vacation time to take off . If you get a call telling you your brother is dying and you need to get to the hospital to say good by pray he dies if he dosn't there goes the dependability .The sups all know you are allowed by Geico so much personal time for cases like that , they WILL NOT tell you that . My Grandmother same thing got called to tell us she was dying and to come to say good by Sup allowed me to leave but because she died the next day the 2 hours early I left went against the dependability .. Personal time was denied . Shortly after I left people where told that Geico was trying to unload anyone 45 and older , fully vested and w/ health problems . Anyone who thinks this is bullshit and not true please by all means review the MBI department and see how many people in the last year alone have been forced to resign or fired that fall into that category, Hell even goes as far as other departments bet you will be surprised. Feel free to survey the doctors in this area and see how many of them now ask 25 dollars to fill out the FMLA paper work and how many times its been sent back to them because a person who is not a DOCTOR feels that the doc that filled them out was not clear enough in being able to pin point the next migraine, heart attack , stroke and exactly how long they can expect the person to be out,
In all my years of working I have never had a job where everyday you have to ask yourself if you have a job when the state police issue a state of emergency and tell you on the news that only emergency personal should be on the road ,,,, better have you but at Geico on time, have a tornado across the street when you sit in a building all glass on the out sides and be told stay on the phones
The only thing they have going for them is the health insurance !

From Macon, GA — 04/24/2010

I hate it but that's just me. It's not for me but i'm stuck here. It's really a nightmare but once again that's just me.

From Woodbury, New York — 03/26/2010

I will not complain about this job because there is no need to. What I am going to do is tell you that this is a great job. This is not for everyone (only for very good sales people that can take alot of feedback). You have to work very hard and stay positive. You can make over 100k a year working 4 days a week in the sales department. I mean not many people can make over 100k a year in sales but I have seen it done year after year with new agents and old agents alike.I mean Geico would tell you to go to another department if you are not doing well in sales. They just don't terminate anyone.You have to seriously do something crazy to get fired. Just be grateful for what this company has given you. I am sick of hearing all these negative posts. I am seeing a bunch of miserable people posting on here. Keep your comments to yourself. Just work hard, show up on time and you will have a fantastic career ahead of you!