Working at Geico Insurance — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Geico Insurance pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Geico Insurance

From Woodbury, NY — 10/10/2009

*Pay - With Profit Sharing, it is far superior to anything else in the area. I live very comfortably.
*Respect - As Aretha said, find out what it means to me.. alot! My supervisor treats me like a human being. My input is valued and I feel like part of a winning team
*Benefits - PHENOMENAL! I got sick, got my medicine, and I feel 100% with only a few dollars paid out of my pocket. Take that, Obama!
*Job Security - Work hard and no prob. Get lazy or dumb, and then yeah.. you could be shown the door
*Work/Life Balance - just right. I get to spend time with my kids a lot more than I did in my last job.
*Career Potential / Growth - Sky is the limit! I'm already a Grade 64 after a couple of years with no end in sight.
*Location - Perfect. Right off the LIE and Northern State. BAM!
*Co-Worker Competence - There's a very rigorous hiring process. They weed out the jerks right at the gate.
*Work Environment - Nurturing, wonderful team environment. I would like to grow old with the Gecko. Hope that one day my kids can work there too. They even had a picnic for us over the summer with steel drums. It was a lot of fun. All the big bosses even walked around and made small talk. You won't find that anywhere else. Believe me... I know.

Overall, GEICO is as close to perfection as you can get. Anyone who posts bad stuff on here is either bitter, lazy, or just an overall miserable person. It's a job, folks. It's not there to amuse you. Just shut up and work hard. Or else quit and get a job cleaning toilets which is probably all you're good for.

From Dallas, Tx — 09/20/2009

I have worked at GEICO for the past 5 years and have been promoted 6 times in that period. I have more than doubled my income and love every aspect of my day. I have true friends at work and am challenged on a regular basis. Once I transferred to the Claims Department, my career really opened up.

I think it is important to know if you have a job match. I started out on the Underwriting side of the business and have never been more unhappy in my life. I made the decision to try something new while I looked for other employment and joined the Claims Department and found my home.

If you don't like the job- try another position. I can't even fathom working in an environment that would make me as miserable as people's descriptions. If you hate your job--look for a new one. If you hate your boss-post out of the department/section. If you hate GEICO-quit and do something you love.

From Woodbury, NY — 09/18/2009

GEICO is truly an amazing place to work. Never have I experienced a more rich and rewarding work experience. I love going to work each every day. As I pull in to the parking lot, the only way I can describe the feeling is true euphoria. As I scan in and sit at my desk, the feeling of starting a new day to exceed my supervisor's expectations gives me a rush that I can't quite put into words.
The salary is generous and the profit sharing is just the cherry on top of the ice cream sundae. My supervisor and manager are kind and supportive. I can't wait to become a supervisor one day. I want to excite and challenge my associates just like they do for me.
The location is smack dab in the middle of everything - PERFECT! The cafeteria food is actually really good and the prices are fair. The elevators are clean and efficient. They even have a gymnasium - a GYM for the associates! Wow! They used to have a stamp machine too but some bad apples abused that privilege so it had to be taken away.
The credit union is second to none. Great rates for savings and for loans. And they even have an ATM right in the office. Can you say CONVENIENT?
So in closing, if we want a career with all the benefits and perks, come to GEICO. I started two years ago and have never regretted it, not even for one minute! I have gotten three generous raises. Boy, that sure brings a smile to my face, especially when people are getting fired left and right.
To everyone on this website who says GEICO stinks, I say go beg in the streets instead.

From Woodbury, NY — 09/15/2009

For all of you airheads that have nothing better to do than bash GEICO if you haven't done it already JUST QUIT. Who needs you! Itís you sorry attitudes that are infecting us associates. And seriously regarding the 9/11 comment, I was there that day any associate that wanted to leave was not held from leaving. I also remember all of the collections that were made for all of the 9/11 victims as well as an associate that was directly affected by that horrible day. HOW DARE YOU!

From Virginia Beach, VA — 09/03/2009

Only been with Geico Since May of 2008 and have all ready received over 3.00 in raises. You start off making 13.89 an hour which in this society is really not a bad starting pay. They give you raises for meeting the goals which i dont think are to hard to reach. GEICO is what you make of it!! You get profit sharing you get bonus and Benefits are excellent. Fake it to you make it!! All you have to do is be nice to customers over the phone. I know sometimes people ask stupid questions and repeat the same thing over and over again and try to negotiate insurance but who cares do your job and keep it moving. I only really have 2 bad things to say about GEICO 1. I hate the chairs they are old and uncomfortable and 2. They need to clean the restrooms more often because the EMPLOYESS are nasty!! Ladies please flush the toilet when you finished doing your business and can you please please courtesy flush when your in the restroom doing something that may be taking you a while thats all i ask!! Besides that GEICO has not done anything bad to me!! I LOVE the company. So once again all i can say is fake it to you make it!!!

From Woodbury NY — 08/26/2009

I'm so surprised to read some of these comments - especially from those coming from CSR.
I hate to sound like one of the "old timers" but you really have no idea how easy you have it. I realize the supervisors and managers alike are inept - (ironically not a one of them has actually been a sufficient TA1 examiner) however, the claims programs you have now are a million times better that the old CIWS/CRIS and MAINFRAME days. Hang in there!

TA1 has an all time low for Pending. I want to honestly cringe when I hear someone complain about having a diary of 150 features.

When I began at this company, I was immediately informed that this is not an 8 to 4:30 job. Sometimes you have to stick it out, stay late and get things done. It's life. Just do it.

That mentality has aided me to move up the Claims latter faster than I could imagine - however I have to put in over my 40 hours to keep up. I do however, feel appreciated and valued as an employee.

The work loads are high, however make a phone call to another local insurer - they will enlighten you. Yes, they may be paid upwards of 10-20K more, however they have pendings of 350+ (Bi features - most in suit no less).

Why do you think everyone who leaves always tries to come back?

I'm not going to sugar coat things, there are some serious issues with management. I think the Claims SPP program will ruin our company. At least half of the selected associates for this program where abysmal examiners that half-assed their way into dead end positions. Now they are magically claims supervisors with out an ounce of integrity among them.

Thankfully, I have no desire to leave my present location and find that I am not micromanaged and left to my own devices. My manager gives me respect and backs my decisions. My co-workers (for the most part) are competent and have my back - I really can't ask for more than that.

From Buffalo NY — 08/20/2009

Geico Buffalo is a great place to be. A wonderful enviornment, i saw a review on here dated the 18th that put the sup's down pretty hard. I'm sorry, but anyone that says those sort of things, hopefully is not longer working with the formentioned supervisor, i can't imagine how disgraced that person would be to read that sort of thing! I have a great position, and all you have to do is ask for help, they are willing to work with you on just about anything! I have never seen anyone be put down, never seen an unfair act! If you work hard, it pay's off! That applies anywhere! You know who you are, whoever posted that rude comment! I could not disagree with you more! Since i began my position as a claims representative, I have gained self respect, and earned nothing but personal satisfaction! I love the Government Employee Insurance Company, it's a wonderful place to be, make a living and growing as an individual! I can't imagine how anyone could feel otherwise. But you know who you are, ------ ------- maybe? You are the one who needs to work a bit harder! Performance is everything at Geico!

From Fredericksburg, VA — 08/16/2009

The pay starts out extremely well...that is how they suck you in. As the years go by...the raises get smaller and smaller and the goals to meet get harder and harder. R-E-S-P-E-C-T? We are talking at G-E-I-C-O here..lol. Nobody in that office knows what respect means, especially management and supervisors. They give sick time but forget about being able to take it unless you're psychic and are able to call in 24 hours in advance. Job security? At GEICO? PLEASE! They will fire you in a second. I know of so many people who were fired simply because they could not meet the monthly goals. If they didnt change things every month and give the employees time to get used to the changes then maybe people could meet their goals every month. Some peoople were fired because they were being "unethical", but when human resources interviewed them the reason they were doing unethical things is because they couldnt maintain their diary of claims they had to do while at the same time having 20 calls on hold and a no call work policy. geico is a joke. as i sit here read these i'm also on monster.com and careerbuilder.com looking for a new job so i can tell the bitch of a supervisor and the faggot of a manager i have.. "HEY BOSS MAN...HERE"S MY TWO WEEKS!!" Did i mention the associate who was just a few weeks shy of becoming 100% vested in his retirement plan and geico fired him because he was unable to meet the monthly goals? He had been with geico for at least 10 years and NOW he's unable to meet the goals? Geico claims they do not tolerate sexual harassment...HA, if the harassers daddy is a favorite in the company then they will tolerate it. Career growth? HAHA!! If you suck up and hang out with your supervisor then she will do whatever she can to get you promoted but not if you actually work hard to get the promotion. Location is great...thats about the only good thing about the company. Work environment....i have met some really good people there who also hate the company and are trying to get out as bad as i am. DO NOT GO TO GEICO!!!!!

From iowa — 08/16/2009

Hello Eric, you should get on the phones some time so you know what it's like.

From Clintin, MD — 08/07/2009

Great job, Great benefits, Great leadership, Great management, Great supervision, Great support staff, Great atlas system, Great company cars, Great labtops Nothing the best, Remember the old Cher song If I Could Turn Back Time, I wouldn't - THE BEST YEARS ARE YET TO COME