Work at Geico Insurance — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Geico Insurance pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Geico Insurance

From Florida — 02/26/2010

GEICO is a great company to work for. For those of you who are bashing it, GEICO is a better company without you and profits from your absence. Just looking at your poor grammar typing ability (or lack thereof) I'm glad you're not with GEICO anymore. You were all just dead weight on our profit sharing anyways. Happy trails!

From Fredericksburg VA — 02/25/2010

As I am sitting here reading the negative things people are saying about this company I cannot begin to understand what they are doing or not doing to benefit from the things that GEICO actually does for its employees. As some of those below have, I worked during the blizzard of 2010. GEICO made every attempt; above and beyond what you would expect from an employer to make sure the employees were safe including putting many of them in hotels in the area and shuttling them between the building and the hotels. GEICO is a great company to work for, if you are looking for a profession. Now, from the comments below I can see that those employees are just considering what they do a job. If you want a CAREER... GEICO is your best bet. While many americans are struggling to find and keep a steady flow of income, this company is growing. GEICO treats its employees and its customers the BEST!

So, for you angry kool aid drinking "know it alls" who really don't appreciate what the lord has "blessed" you with... I leave you with this final suggestion... if you are that unhappy with what you are doing QUIT... go flip burgers or draw welfare or whatever... but do not slam a good company because you didn't get a handout. Suck it up or shut up!

Have a nice day!

From Dallas, Tx — 02/21/2010

It's a good company, work hard and you will be repaid.

From coralville, ia — 01/24/2010

I have worked at GEICO for about 2 years now and the job isn't that bad. The pay is pretty good for not having a degree and doing customer service. With Respect co workers and supervisors have good respect for everyone i haven't had any problems with respect except for sometimes they make you feel like a child when you do something wrong but i have had that with all my jobs. withe customers you have no respect you are a voice on the phone they can yell at because they are too dumb to read their contract and read their bills if not for someone like that who yells at me for 20 min because they did not send us back a form or say they never got it ( i guess the post office is only about 50% accurate with the mail according to customers) the job would be great. but its a fifty fifty every job with customers you will have this problem and since half of what you do is billing you get use to it you still get to help someone with their insurance and that helps me get through.
benefits are pretty good health insurance has been good for me, the profit sharing is pretty damn good ive seen 10% of your annual earnings as the bonus. the office im in is older and use to be a grocery store, no gym, or cafeteria except for a few vending machines and some sandwich ones, but with the location plenty of places to eat and have discounts with local gyms. best option is that i get my schooling paid for and its offered on site. i also have been taking insurance classes to get a cpcu ( very important with insurance ) which i get reimbursed for and get bonuses for completing.
job security is good if you can do your job, i had trouble with some of my goals have been on a 6 month plan to improve and or i could be fired 6 whole months if you couldn't do this then you don't deserve to work there, my supervisor worked with me every day and my manager even helped me out great job security if you can be good with customers and follow a list of things to go over with ( in service you only have to offer more insurance or a benifit if they say no its ok).
With work life balance its bad i spend most of my time at work or talking about work, my girlfriend works with me so this could be the reason and most of my friends are co workers. I do feel mentally exhausted when i get home but its not the job its the customers.
with co worker competence yes alot of people are idiots and have no idea what their doing but again every job is like that the training is great most extensive training ive been through, and the resources are there some people are just lazy but other workers catch the mistakes and fix them.
all and all a good place to start your insurance career i my self plan on moving up in the company you have easy access to improve if not i will take my college courses and cpcu and get my own insurance office.

From Fredericksburg, Va — 12/20/2009

I've worked in Claims for over three years & at times it can be stressful -- but, I think that's from working claims & not so much Geico in general.

Pay - is decent, especially on a good profit sharing year.

Respect - I feel my sup & management in TA1 do well by their employees. Good recognition & sometimes rewards. (movie tickets, lunches, giftcards, geico stuff) However, I didn't feel the same about CSR. Come in with a degree or move up quick before the call center gets to you.

Benefits - also decent, no dental though.

Job Security - I say do your work --- stop talking & procrastinating -- which only means your section has to pick up your slack....(and we have our own work to do), and your job is safe.

Work/Life Balance - I rated this lower b/c it's true, you can't call in sick. (lets bring the flu to work & make everyone else sick!) & also, they ask you to come in on weekends to close features, or work evenings. Sometimes it feels like if you don't do "EXTRA", then you may not have a chance with the next job post.

Career Potential/Growth - I was expecting to move up faster, took me years & I had excellent #'s. But, I think patience is good & I feel confident I'll get moved up again.

Location - Great as it's close home.

Co-worker Competence - Depends on who you sit next to & who your sup is. Love my sup & my section, mostly.

Work Environment - Could be cleaner. Decent facilities, cafeteria, gym is tiny, basketball hoops, credit union, parking stinks (have to shuttle in 1 day a week as the parking lot is 2 small).

Geico is worth it for me.... a little stress, but a paycheck & security (if you're going above & beyond)

From POWAY — 12/09/2009

Different departments treat/handle people as if in different worlds. I have worked in many fields and had many employers large and small. As frustrating as large companies can be, none have ever came close to treating me as well as GEICO! I feel this way even though I've been held down at times. The Really Big Dogs are gentle the hungry pups are vicious! While most find things to complain about, they mostly say they like what they do. Helping people!

From Fredericksburg, VA — 12/03/2009

Pay: I started in sales. i did not do well there so I accepted a transfer to service. Both jobs are entry level, meaning a high-school grad could walk in off the street and as long as they pass the entry tests, they could have the job. For 36K in Virginia, the work is fair. It is challenging, very challenging at times, but definately beats working as a cashier or in food services. And you wouldn't get paid this much to do either other option. I realize that this isn't above the average for this type of job, but they ARE hiring, after all.
Respect: I would have t say that for being a tiny employee in a massive corporation I am just about as respected as I should be - I can go to my management and voice concerns and have them addressed fairly quickly. I even recently recomended that we install the powertoy for windows xp that gives the user 4 virtual desktops so I could spread out my open windows. I came to work the next day and it was installed on my machine. I was told to report glitches as I was the person that would test it out. This not only shows that they generally respect the most minor employee's requests, but are willing to adapt to new ideas.

Benefits/Job Security: Sure they will fire you if you fail to keep up to their high standards. But they will counsel you, sit you down and coach you, retrain you, and transfer you well before they actually just give up on you. I was a dismall sales person. I screwed up policies. I failed to ever meet quota. Then the depression happened. Did they fire me? Nope. They tried to retrain me and when I told them that sales just wasn't for me they let me transfer into service. Is there a high turnover rate here? Yes. Because a lot of high-school grads jump into Geico without a clue as to what working for a huge corporationn means, and expecting that corporation to treat them with kid gloves and let them get away with being mediocre in a competitive business - the need to work retail first. Then they will appreciate an employer like Geico. Geico is a job for grown-ups. If your mommy has to drop you off at work, you are not ready for corporate America. But with that said, some ambitious kids manage to survive here and idiots somehow manage to stay just under the radar - I know of complete morons working here that have survived for 10 years! So one should not feel too worried if they give a reasonable performance. The benefits are ok, not oustanding, but not horrible.
Work/Life Ballance: You are not here to play or go on vacation every 2 months. You are here to work. If you get promoted and get to the point where you are able to waste the company's time, they will likely get rid of you. But with that said, I am off weekends. I work 8 hours a day. I get two paid 15 minute breaks and a 45 minute lunch. The lunchroom is pretty decent. The caffeteria is not exotic, but they make decent food. Clean. I can put in for time off. I should not do this until I have been here for a few months, but they worked with me when something came up that I had to interupt training for. And this was after they said we could not miss a single day of training. They are humans. Should I expect to get approved for a week off in December my first year here? Nope. Someone with seniority will get that. They have to keep the phones adequately manned, and the older employees (because people DO stay at Geico) get first dibs on vacation. Of course you will EARN vacation. I took time off just so I could unwind in the summer. I had only been working here 6 months. I made it line up with my regular days off such that I only burned up 3 days and was gone for a week. Again, I was ready for corporate america.
Career Potential/Growth: I can get promoted 3 levels without even changing my job function. Nice. OF course to get to those levels my stats have to be really good. I still have issues completing all of what I am supposed to do durring a call but I am not the worst in my section so I am fine. I simply work on it. They sat me down before I took the service job and let me listen in to another agent that could actually do it all. It isn't impossible. It is simply difficult. People should stop expecting decent (not great) pay for easy jobs. You get low pay for easy jobs. That is how this country works.
Location: In the middle of nowhere - but this is not a bad thing. You are an hour from DC, 45 minutes from Richmond Virginia, and Frederickburg itself ain't bad - kind of 'country' for my taste, but bearable. Beautiful countryside. Cheap housing. NO smog. Being in the middle of nowhere has it's benefits.
Co-worker competence and the work environment: Everybody works here. Idiots, low-educated people who mean well, high-educated people that are pricks, cool people, dorks, nerds, yuppies, ex-military.... you get the point. You will have incompetent people everywhere ... one of my trainers was an absolute dolt. No biggie. I learned my job from my competent co-workers and asked a lot of questions.
The work environment is not flashy. The company is cheap... for good reason. THe less they spend in overhead the more they can pass on as savings to the policyholder and therefore the more money they get when more people get insured. The computers are Dell, decent enough, dual-cores with 2GB of ram. Plenty for web-based apps which is pretty much 99% of our job. Running XP service pack 3 is ok too... wish they had just stuck with 2000 Pro though. I notice that the Dells all say Vista on them (little sticker) so at least the company was smart enough to downgrade to XP! Cubicles? Yup. About 15 years old by my estimate. Ok though. Nothing fashy. Chairs suck. Though if your chair actually breaks they will give you a brand new chair that works great. Monitors? 17 inch CRT, though if your's fails they will give you a flat lcd. so they are not spending a lot on immediate upgrades. Makes sense. Maybe that is why they can expand when everyone else is on spending freezes.

From Buffalo — 11/13/2009

Pay it is good to above averge

Respect I understand when people say they don't get respect, but I do feel respected. I think at any job you have people who like it and people who don't. It's a job not my life.

Benefits i like our health coverage no complaints. I do wishe they still had a pension still

Job Security I am secure others are not.

Work/Life Balance I am not one to mx the two I keep them sperate

Career Potential/Growth I have friends who are supervisors already.

Location can't be much better wthout being on my street.

Co-worker Competence some are great some are not

Work Environment it is actually a beautiful office, nice gym, good parking, bathrooms are kept clean

From Virginia Beach — 11/12/2009

I just resigned last month, FINALLY! Man when I tell you this was the best decision I have ever made......
When I started with the company they promised me that because I had a degree I would quickly move up into the supervisor track program. Boy was I wrong. After 6 months of gruesome training, I was placed on the phones "for three months" and here I am almost two years later taking customer service calls. Every 2 weeks I meet with my supervisor who tells me he will make sure to move me up. What I figured out was that because I was selling the coveted umbrella policies at an unprecedented 5-8 per week, they didn't WANT me off the phones because I move up their numbers! In addition, I have since gotten my Master's degree and because it's not in business management, it's useless. (Sorry economics means nothing). Oh...and my boss even bragged about how I just graduated, all while I'm taking customer service calls.. Anyway, I can finally throw away the stress meds and move on to a job paying more money, giving me less stress and I will finally drop the 48 pounds I gained sitting in this darn chair all day! At least now I can finally go to the bathroom without having to ask like a 3 year old. Believe it or not, my supervisor actually said no one time because he wanted me to sell an umbrella policy. Good grief!

From Woodbury, NY — 11/03/2009

This is the worst PIP management team yet. Not one manager knows what they are doing nor are they able to get together and make a reasonable and educated decision. They tell you one thing to your face and another to some one else. Then 3 e-mails are sent changing their opinion from the one before. They are often unavailable. When you do finally track them down they cut you off to answer their phone. I cant stand the favortism and the fakeness. The director needs to open her eyes and see whats going on in "manager alley."