Working at Geico Insurance — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Geico Insurance pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Geico Insurance

From Mumbai, India — 09/25/2010

I love GEICO! The company pays me and my fellow workers $10 a day to look for bad things said about GEICO on the internet. We get to pose as undercover consumers and attack anyone that says anything negative about GEICO. You can see examples of our work on ripoffreport dot com under the following post:
"Geico Insurance Geico uncarrying, arrogant claim adjuster Macon, Georgia"

From Macon, GA — 08/13/2010

I feel sorry for those who make injury claims. We are told by our supervisors to delay, delay, delay. I am sick of treating customers unfairly. We do not engage in good faith practices here in the claims department and employ delay tactics that easily push claims beyond the one year statute of limitations. We hope that injured victims can will be overwhelmed and settle for pennies. Our delay tactics here in Macon, GA include having claims denied, not getting calls returned, being placed on hold extensively, being required to gather records repeatedly, and being passed from one adjuster to the next. Soon the financial burden of time off work and mounting medical bills drives good innocent victims to contact an attorney. Or worse, it makes them desperate enough to accept an extremely low settlement offer, limiting any future recovery of damages. I actually plan to use our inside information and give it to several outside attorneys.

From Dallas TX — 08/09/2010

After being layed off from my other job, I have found that the opportunity to work at GEICO to be a godsend. I especially respect upper management as I feel I am treated with respect as well. I am thankful for my job and the people I work with.

From Lakeland FL — 08/05/2010

Geico reminds you of what a Nazi camp would have been like. Geico is the hell and the managers and supervisors are the militant officers. The supervisors are the minions of the officers (managers) and do what they tell them and then we (the associates) are the toilet paper stuck to the bottom of your shoe, the gum you step in on the sidewalk, the puss that oozes out of the sores on a leper, we're shit on, stepped on, pushed around and in the end we get a big fat fuck you. We go home with the stress of our jobs and think will I have a job tomorrow? Did they change the A-Call experience yet again? This place will suck you dry. Just like the Matrix, you're a pawn in a game that you can never win, all the while they take what they can from you. The best thing to do is to take the blue pill, open your eyes to what's really going on, and get the fuck out while you can.

From Woodbury, NY — 07/27/2010

Are there worse places to work? Probably. Afghanistan and/or Iraq come to mind. I'm in TA1 and the work, while monotonous is not terrible. The hoops they make you jump through? Those are terrible. You want to resolve liability? You had better have the policy holder statement, claimant statement, the police report, scene photos, vehicle photos, and make sure you jump through your flaming hoop, backwards, juggling machetes. Oh, and make sure it's within seven days. Don't mind the fact that it takes Nassau and Suffolk county precincts 10 days to have police reports ready. ARXs? Now I, personally, don't tend to have a problem meeting the goal. What I do have a problem with is that the goal is 50%. Statistically, 50% means it's random. Why do we have a goal that is statistically shown to be random?

Also, why is it that 85-90% of the claims I get transferred to me out of a certain office are transferred incorrectly. How hard is it really? Open APD. Set LDC to 500. Update info you have (name, address, PHONE NUMBERS of the person you're talking to.) Tell me the reason it's being transferred. There's no reason I should have to sit for 10 minutes trying to figure out what was going through your head when you sent it up to me. I get that you guys get a lot of phone calls with no real breaks in between, but come on, use some common sense. If a claimant calls in a conflicting statement, fine transfer it, but update the claimant info. I mean at least get a name and phone number for crying out loud, I'll update address and ac info once I talk to them. Also, update the CONFLICTING STATEMENT, it's the REASON it's being transferred. If I get a file that has no claimant info and all I see is that the policy holder was rear ended I'm going to be pissed and curse you. I'm also going to turn to everyone around me to complain about what an idiot you are. Yes, I will use your name. And if you transfer one di file to TA1 for possible comp neg, for the love of all that is holy, transfer the other. It's not like one file is going to be 0% and the other is going to be 75%.

From Poway, california — 07/21/2010

I have worked for GEICO for 7 years. I do not have a college degree. I am currently at the highest I will be in this company without any college education. I work as a TA2. I think GEICO is good, not great...is anything great? I am paid pretty darn good. Is $27.00 per hour good without a degree? I think it is. As far as management, they are what you would expect. They are friendly and actually pretty cool if you are normal and can hold a conversation. Of course they are " number crunchers" ...wouldnt you be if you owned GEICO??? Really the deal with GEICO is this. Have a degree and have more opportunity. ... As a new hire you might not ever get promoted, but after already being there 7 years one is already established.

***overall***
Competitive pay
EXCELLENT BENNIES ( profit sharing!!!! )
Medical, dental
4 floating holiday (4 days a year paid , just cause) and 6 regular holidays paid
JOB Security!!!! ( guess what? you do your job your not getting fired! Ive personally seen so few people fired for job performance its ridiculous ! (( Many more should be since they are not so good))
Anyway. GEICO has always helped me....aside from a manager or two who has something stuck up his A** but GEICO is a good company...Not the greatest in the whole world but pretty darn good! :)

From buffalo, ny — 07/18/2010

I think GEICO is a great place to work. I am always treated with respect and the pay is amazing, compared to any other place I've worked. I think the goals are challenging but not unattainable. Effort and focus pay off in this job. All of the naysayers below should just realize maybe GEICO isn't the career for them. If you're so unhappy with your job, no one's making you stay.

From Buffalo, NY — 04/30/2010

I started out in a call-center environment in claims (CSR) which, as you would imagine, sucked balls. Honestly though, knowing what a call center - in any industry - requires, who would ever rate any similar job, at any company, highly? It's a terrible job, with poor benefits and life/work balance, that you have to endure to get out of it. It's called paying your dues, and nobody is going to grab their pedestal and bullhorn and trumpet how lovely a job CSR (or basic customer service rep, on the service side of the house) is.
Now I can't speak for other supv's in CSR, but all the ones I had as a CSR were entirely fair and honest in their dealings with their own associates. I don't tolerate bullsh*t easily and would not have stayed on as long as I did if it were as sucky as others here portray. Now I can't speak for other supv's beyond hearsay, so I won't, because we tell our policyholders we don't rely on the claimant's hearsay to make our liability decisions.
In the Buffalo office, the management is essentially clueless. I'm not talking immediate management (my direct supv and TCR1 manager), I'm talking extreme upper-level (speaking to you, D.RW and NA and SC). We took a nasty bath on NJ PIP and our profit sharing reflects it. Now call me a moron for drinking the Kool-Aid, but the NJ numbers are beginning to improve, and with it hopes for a greater cash payout grow for next year. Not to excuse at all the disgusting job the above mgmnt and JMcG did in our NJ operations.
There are definitely things the company as a whole can improve on.
1) Dependability as a rating sucks beyond the call center positions. I can begrudgingly understand the need for such a statistic at CSR and service, but when you get to management or upper level liability, it's a retarded number that needs to be retired.
2) Better/faster vacation accrual. When you are told at hire you get 2 weeks vaca a year, you do, but they don't tell you it's an accrued number. If you want to take a vacation in your Year 3 in February, you better make sure you have previously-accrued vacation hours available. Sucks to be you if you actually waited a year and took the full 2 weeks in the first month of your Year Two.
3) Get rid of ARX rating. It's steering, plain and simple. It increases CSS numbers, but in that sense you are getting rated on the same metric twice. Want a higher CSS? Sell more ARX. Don't rate on ARX itself because it's retarded. Doesn't seem to bother our policyholders/claimants in Connecticut that we, by CT Insurance Dept regulation, can't be rated on selling the ARX in that state. We still try but it's a more honest attempt.
4) Be more flexible in the hiring/promotions process from CSR/CSRB to TCR1. And similarly, from TCR1 to TCR2. It's not all about the numbers, it's about the brains behind those numbers. You may suck at ARX but be a phenom at average liability. Recognize this. Isn't the goal of extreme upper level claims to minimize ALP (average loss payout) while being fair to what we owe?
Would I recommend this company to others? I don't know. It depends on what their bullsh*t tolerance level is, and what kind of prior work experience they have. I think it's a fair environment at the end of the day, as long as you have a reasonable and rational expectation of what your job is. Much of the griping I read here is from people who sound like those who end up being walked out the door for not knowing they took a job in a call center environment. There are a LOT of negatives about this company, but also a lot of positives, and you have to be fair and honest about it just as you need to be - in claims, at least - with your customers.

From Lakeland, FL — 04/16/2010

I love working at a place where 80% of my co-workers are on zanax and other anti-depressants! Wouldn't you love to come to work medicated just so you can make it through the day? For what? What other company that only employs only 2k to 3k has had over 140,000k employs in just over 12+ years! There has to be a problem and some changes made!

From ANYWHERE — 03/03/2010

GEICO HAS BEEN A GOOD PLACE TO WORK OVERALL. HOWEVER, OVER THE LAST 10 YEARS IT APPEARS THINGS ARE HEADED IN THE WRONG DIRECTIONS. THEY NEED TO LISTEN TO THE ASSOCIATES WHO ARE ACTUALLY DOING THE JOB. IF NOT, THE TURNOVER WILL CONTINUE TO GROW. SOMEONE NEED TO BE A LISTEN EAR!!!

ALSO WHEN IT COMES TO PROMOTIONS: THEY ARE PLACING MORE ON EDUCATION VS EXPERIENCE. BUT TAKING EVERYTHING INTO CONSIDERTION, THE COMPANY HAS BEEN ALLLLRIGHT IN MY BOOK!