Work at Gardenvision — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Gardenvision pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Gardenvision

From Florida — 09/14/2009

I have taken the time to read all of the reviews that have been submitted by numerous Merchandisers and I have to agree 100% with everything they have all said numerous times,, the only thing I will add is this,,When I first started at GV back several years ago I worked many more hours and as the years pass by so the hours keep going down. I do not believe GV and Lowe's isn't making sales in the nursery because I see the plants that come in and go out of there,..as all of you do. so I believe it is very unfair of Lowe's to dictate the hours that GV Merchandiser's work, when the store manager expects the GV Merchandiser to do 40+ hours of work in a 20 hour week,. and another thing, I wonder why Superviser's were not given their allotted hours but have to take them now away from the Merchandiser and the store hours. that's not fair especially when a Supervisor doesn't do any work in the Nursery of the store the hours are being taken from. and how on earth can Lowe's Management expect a Merchandiser of a A volume store to complete his or her work on B volume store hours?

From mccomb, ma — 09/10/2009

As a vendor working in excessive heat and cold, I think it unfair for one to have to wait a full year to receive a pay raise, especially when one is doing his best to exceed company standards and full compliance with Lowe's associates. I also wish there was a more cooperative spirit when it comes to things like adhering to company policy on distress product and putting out freight. However, I do appreciate the flexibility this job and my team leader affords me.

From Castleberry, Akabana — 09/07/2009

I would love to have a Lowe's closer to my hometown in Castleberry, Alabama. I also get little or no help from other Lowe's people while at the same time, I try to go above and beyond to help assist the customers. There have been numerous times customers come to me because there are no Lowe's employees in sight.

From Alabama — 09/07/2009

All in, I enjoy working for GardenVision. My manager and superviser respect that I work hard under sometimes difficult circumstances and have been fair with acknowledging that and rewarding me when possible.

Communication, with new staff could be better regarding the hierarchy of Lowes, as far as who is whom in the garden center department. It took me a while to figure out who did what, how and who to interact with to get information I needed and what our role really is. Now, I feel as though my manager communicates much better than before, but when I first started I had to ask a lot of questions and figure out things on my own.

It would be great if GardenVision could implement a system where they compensate employees for the purchase of required clothing and tools such as shoes, gloves, box cutters etc. At the very least gloves should be provided and costs for the purchase of required equipment and clothing should be reimbursed. We should be provided with all the tools to do our job completely.

Lowes has provided a fairly good environment to work in, but we often get the "just a vendor" treatment, which makes it clear we are not really part of the over-all team in some people's view. Although that is not always the case, many of the Lowes employees I interact with on a daily basis are great, but it does happen.

From Alabama — 09/06/2009

Pay - The pay could be better for the amount of work that we do, in extreme heat, rain, and cold.

Respect - Overall, I feel respected by the Lowe's and GardenVision people that I've met.

Benefits - From what I've heard, benefits are high.

Job Security - I don't feel confident that I have much job security. No matter how hard I work, if Lowe's decides to cut costs and cancel the contract, I'm out of a job.

Work/Life Balance - I really like the flexibility. As long as you get the required hours, you're okay.

Career Potential/Growth - Unless you're willing to move, there's not much potential for growth.

Location - I don't have far to travel to work. The location is fine.

Co-worker competence - The employees that I've been in contact with are knowledgeable in their duties. Josh Weaver is the best supervisor/team leader that I've ever had.

Work environment - Except for extreme temperatures and rain, the work environment is okay. Sometimes the Lowe's managers scrutinize us and watch our every move, while their employees are no where to be found, leaving customers to ask us for assistance. When we already aren't getting many hours, the constant customer interruptions put us behind in our work.

From SW Florida — 09/05/2009

Pay: In the beginning it was great and increased steadly every year, then it stopped. Promises were made and seemed to fallen though the cracks. How can we trust, when we have been let down so many times. Lets hope that when things get better, GV shows us how much they appriciate us sticking with them.

Respect: How can we expect other companies and their employees to respect us when our own company has no respect for us. Companies are suppose to protect their employees from harassment and a hostile working enviroments. GV does not do this and should really consider improving in this area. GV needs to investagate incidents and see who is tellig the truth. Throwing us to the wolves and expecting us not to defend ourselves is not respect.

Benefits: It is what it is, Yes paid vacation, holidays, insurance etc... should be offered a little sooner then it is now. Health Insurance is a little high, however it is this way everywhere. If GV could change it they would and you never know they may in the near furture when things get better. Let's think positive and hope they do whatis right when the time is right.

Job Security: In the beginning it was great and now not to sure. It seems the harder you work and the more you put into your job the bigger the risk you are going to loose your job. This is backwards and really needs to change. Companies should always promote within and not bring in people from the outside unless needed. Give the little guys a chance and something to work towards. If we feel we have no chance for moving up in a company why would we want to stay. Would you stay?

Work/Life Balance: This is one of the great things that GV does offer. We can adjust our schedules when we need to and they allow us to make up hours if we need to miss them for an emergency. Will no pay increases this was one of the things that keep team members showing up every day. We thank the company for being patiance and understanding that life does have it's problems that we have to deal with them and sometimes we just can not make it to work.

Career Potential/Growth: This was something that was seen in the beginning and now seems to have got swept under the rug lately. New are now brought in where growth should of come from within. There are many lower raking people who have work very hard to get new promotions and have been skipped for new hires who may have a bit more training in a educational setting. This I find hard to swollow. Growth should always come from within first and out side if needed. GV should really changed this if it wants it Team members to go above and beyond and really believe in who they work for.

Location: Never been to much of a problem. GV seems to help when any team members needs to be relocated due to a move. GV also helps team members who are traveling to help out when needed. This helps encourage our teams to go that extra step and push to the next level.

Co-worker Competence: All Team member at all levels bring something different to the company as a whole. It is very important that we help and encourages each person no matter what level they are and treat everyone we come a cross with respect. Respect get Respect. There has been some good leaders and some really bad leaders. GV does need to improve when it comes to listening to what the lower team memebers say. GV leaders can not continue to tell their team to deal with something and not look into the problems first. This is one of the Area's that GV could really use some much needed impovement.

Work Environment: This is the area where GV does one of the poorest jobs. We continue to have to work in some hostle working enviroments and under some very extreme conditions. We tend to get harassed by store personal and our company does nothing to protect us. Some of us get beaten down so bad that everyday becomes a struggle just to go to work. We try and follow the proper channels to have it taken care of and it continues to get swept under the rug and we are basically told to deal with it or move on. This is the one area where this company need to find a way and help the ones who are experiancing this kind of treatment. GV can not continue to move people to try and avoid dealing with a bad situation. This only mask the problem and someone else ends up having to deal with the same situation. When GV see that a situation had nothing to do with the person who was blamed I think the company should admit to their mistake and make it right by first saying they are sorry and then making the situation right. We need to believe in the company we work for and know they have intergrity and will do what is right when it is needed. I ask you what would you like to see happen when this kind of situation comes about. Some store personal are mean and mistreat the vendors. The things they do and say are hurtful and can push someone over the edge. Could GV turn a blind eye knowing that this kind of treatment can push someone who is less strong over the edge. When we ask for help we do expect to get it.

Thanks for you time and we appriciate the chance to express our feelings.

From Tallahassee, FL — 09/04/2009

I work part time for Gardenvision, at my local Lowes store.I enjoy my job, because of the people I work with and my supervisor, Missy, who is great.

From Georgia — 09/03/2009

Parttime merchandisers have no job security. Immediate supervisor respects me and compliments my work and my work ethic. I appreciate that. Benefits are appropriate for parttime employees. The one problem is that of required apparel with no compensation for purchasing any of it. Schedule is flexible and works well for family events, problems that arise, vacations, etc. Promotions seem directly connected to the "old boy network". Most of my GV co-workers have been competent. Lowe's has a mixed bag of competency in the OSGC where I work. Lowe's management in the store to which I am assigned is very co-operative and appreciates me and what I do for their store. All in all, I very much like working for Garden Vision. I hope to continue working for you for several more years.

From MS — 09/01/2009

I have really enjoyed working with Gardenvisions. I have to say the pay is better than some other places I know . Considering jobs are hard to find now days. And someone is always waiting in line to take your job.That should make anyone value their job. So I do appreciate and respect my job and co-workers on both sides.
I would like for Lowe's to understand we are a branch off the same tree and basically have the same goals to reach . Sucess in retail . Looks and improvements. And most of all a job to come back to each day.
I try to focus on the task i'm given. I know I did my best and stayed busy.My supervisor is very understanding when I may need off.Hours are flexible .Holidays are given and not made to work.
And she works as hard as we do. I appreciate that . She probably doesn't have to get her hands dirty but she does and seems to enjoy it. Very rare to have someone higher up to do that.. To have a strong minded yet understanding boss makes my experience with gardenvisions an enjoyable one. They will always work with you and your situation.
The work keeps you young and healthy. No need for Health Insurance. lol.
Except when your kids bring you the flu. And you don't make enough to pay the doctor visit.Can be very frustrating to not have paid sick days either.
Then you don't make enough to pay the health insurance.
Gardenvisions benefits needs many improvements.
Overall I wouldn't change a thing but Health Coverage and cost..

From fl — 09/01/2009

As far as working with the plants I love it. The pay is way too low for all the things they want us to do day labor can make more money in one day then we do. There are some people in this company that do want to move up. Very few opportunities for advancement. The benefits package they offer you better hope that whoever you live with has a job to pay the bills How do they really think we can afford the benefits on the money that they pay us What are we supposed to pay any bills with. They also need to figure out a way to let us know when there are changes made in the company. Send something out every three months with our paychecks. They wouldn't have to waste a stamp. There needs to be something done with the communication I really do not expect my team leader to remember everything so they can pass it on to me, There also needs to be better communications for the lowes managers and garden vision. I am tired of being told by my team leader of a project that needs to be done and lowes says no way i dont want that. very hard to do a good job when there are two sides saying different things. I just want to do my job and a darn good one at that but would love to be able to live off my paycheck without having to live with someone else to make ends meet