Working at gap inc — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about gap inc pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at gap inc

From Queenstown — 05/19/2010

I believe being a sales associate in this company is excellent for part time employees. Personally as a college student my changing schedule blends well with gap's extremely flexible schedule. I love the environment although you have to get to know the people around you to keep the time going. The pay is really low and although I really enjoy the job I won't be able to keep up with the bills i have when i move out. I am also the second highest creditor in our store and I highly doubt my raise will be any better than those who don't do much of anything. Even if I was provided with the promotion, management looks too stressful to even desire. Overall for a first job and even a college job this is perfect oppertunity to learn how to be outgoing and people friendly.

From Orlando, FL — 04/23/2010

I don't know who is lying below from Orlando but GAP likes to give 4 hour shifts because "it promotes employee whatever". I am in the top 3 gapcard getters at my store and I get 15 hours a week if I am lucky. Maybe they are a LOD, but associates do not get 50 hours.

Overall, I love it. I do not feel guilty about asking people to sign up for gapcards because 1. they dont have to 2. they don't have to use it. 3. it is their responsibility to pay it off and use it like an adult. I have no sympathy for people who live beyond their means and pay for shit when they don't have to $$ to cover it.

Great job. Love it but won't be staying after college.

From Memphis area, TN — 01/14/2010

I've worked at the GAP for about 6 mos. now: I had to haggle with my manager for a pay rate above minimum even though I have much customer service experience. Compared to other positions I have been in, there is honestly more respect for me even though I am younger than 20. They don't just treat me like a stupid kid, and it's awesome getting a huge discount on the clothes. They cut a bunch of seasonals, but job security is high if you are an eager, consistent worker. Life balance sucks because you don't pick your own schedule, but they do their best to honor your availabilities. Career growth is definitely there for those who want it and articulate their aspirations to the management. My experience with co-workers has far surpassed any other company I have worked for, and the one problem employee was quickly fired. Overall, the work enviornment is above par.

From Chicago, Illinois — 12/14/2009

I was hired for seasonal help for the holidays. I am not sure who is a manager, supervisor, leader or a regular sales associate, but everyone I've encountered is nice. The training is not all that great. During the interview you will be told you will not go on the floor or the register until you feel 100% comfortable with your duties. Don't believe it. You must be able to approach everyday with an open mind and not let it bother if you don't know what you are doing, because seriously you won't know what your doing. During my 2nd day training I was told we would be trained on the register asap, but that didn't happen until 4 weeks later and it was at 7:00 am on a Sunday. I spent 2 hours on register training and I still don't know what I am doing, nor do my other trainees. The trainer was nice though. I still don't know how to operate a "walkie" and apparently only one person can use the walkie at a time, but how do you know if someone else is using it when everyone has one strapped to their pants? Also they never tell you how to check for something in stock, I just guessed on my first time. Guessed wrong. I was also told that you will have a opportunity to try on jeans as part of your training so you know about the product when someone asks you a question. This never happened. I don't know a thing about jeans other than there in section 2, but they are also in section 1 (found that out by accident.) Another thing I have learned is that they change the layout of the store constantly, so just when you think you know where that gray turtle neck is located, and you think you are being helpful to the customer, you find yourself a fool standing next to pajamas where turtle necks used to be.

I give the location high points because it's in a beautiful city. I have been treated with respect and have not witnessed any disrespect. It's hard to tell who is competent since I think most of the people I am working with are seasonal employees and know about as much as I do. The pay is okay, a little above min wage but that is what I expect for seasonal. It is hard to balance your work and personal life because you don't get to pick or discuss your schedule ahead of time. It's emailed to early Friday morning and begins 2 days later. The work environment could be better. The lack of training and the business of holidays really can make you feel like a lost puppy if you don't have a strong personality to outshine the 1000's of people in the store.

All in all it's not a bad place to work, but I wouldn't say it's great. Just know what you are getting into and you'll be fine.

From Georgia — 12/10/2009

I have worked for Gap Inc for many years with different stores (old navy and gap) I like it pretty good. I find that they try hard to take care of your interests. My schedules always fit my needs. This is a GREAT part-time job!! However, if your looking for twenty plus hours you need to find a new job because this is not the place. Fortunately, this does not apply to me so I like my job @ Gap Inc. :)

From Missouri — 11/05/2009

Gap is a great place to work if your just starting out. It's a good company that also has good intentions with their charity work. They also take care of their employees. You get a generous discount. I also really enjoyed working with my co workers. There is opportunity for advancement but you have to work hard at it.

From Chicago, IL — 10/03/2009

I've been with the Gap for a while now, and it's your standard retail gig.

The pay could be a bit higher ($9 an hour instead of $8.50) for all the duties we perform throughout the day. Even though I have a pair of sneakers with huge insoles, my feet are killing me by the end of the day because customers run you around the store looking for a shirt in another size when it ends up being in their hand.

Scheduling seems to be different every week - sometimes I'm on for 10 hours a week and the next week it jumps up to 30+. There's no telling what your week is going to look like until the middle of the night on Thursday when they send out an e-mail with next week's schedule.

My co-workers and I are usually trying our best to focus on the tasks at hand; but between the demand of Gap Cards and poor training - the floor is usually a nightmare of bad retail pick-up lines. "Wow, that's a lot of stuff you're holding! You can save 15% on your purchase today by being approved for a Gap Card!" Ugh. It has a 21% interest rate - why would you ever sign up for it in this economy? We're also expected to meet our daily goals for Gap Cards - or we get a nice lecture on not caring about the company's future/our future at the company.

Overall, it's an alright place to work - I just don't expect to be there beyond Christmas.

From Miami, FL — 07/07/2009

I must say I enjoyed working at Gap. All my co-workers were great, and my managers. We got good breaks too, if we worked a 9hr shift. There were only three problems:

1. they ignored my availability. I wasn't available Sunday mornings, so I could go to church, but they would schedule me anyway. I understand they have a lot of people to schedule, but they need to just check the chart first.

2. Our customers SUCKED. That's not gap's fault. They spent a lot of money but it was international tourists and they had NO respect for employees. Most of our customers are from Latin America so if they can take a family of 5 to Miami, stay at the four seasons, and spent $1200 at the Gap, then you KNOW they're SUPER ULTRA rich back home in whatever country they're coming from. In turn, they treat all the Gap employees like their personal servants. They expect us to follow them around the store like their personal shopper. Hello! This isn't Neiman Marcus! I make $8 an hour no matter who you are! At least I don't have to push GCs on them because they're international and don't have SS#s.

3. Gap Cards suck. Why? Because I have moral qualms against it. The credit card has a 21% interest rate! I don't think we should push it, especially in this economy. Credit card debt is BAD and I don't like pushing it on people, when I can tell they really can't afford it.

Gap is a good corporation to work for over all though.

From Aurora, CO — 04/30/2009

I loved working at Gap. It was a fun work enviroment, and I learned a lot about working retail. Yes, they do want you to get Gap Cards, but, at least where I worked, it wasn't as big a deal as other stores mentioned in these reviews. Pay was pretty good, and although I was only as seasonal employee, I got a raise.

From nashville, tn — 10/29/2008

I work for Banana Republic and I love it. My main job is just focusing on standards, running the cash wrap, and of course getting those freaking cards.
pretty good pay, too, compared to other stores and for the difficulty of the work I do.
But yea maybe I got lucky with my store, but my coworkers are all really cool and hardworking. plus the discounts. loves it.