Working at Gannett — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Gannett pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Gannett

From Lancaster OH — 02/10/2008

Well, one Lancaster to another (recent post from Clipper Lancaster PA). What can I say, I have good health coverage and it costs less than my prior employer. However I understand what the other Lancaster writer was saying. Under prior owners, they had a sweet deal. But the reality is that the coverage we have, and I presume they have, is competitive. I mean, it's not like we have substandard doctors or anything. I know for me it's good coverage and while I would like it to be cheaper it is what it is.

People treated me well in my 18 months here. Management actually says hi and listens to employee concerns. That's good. I just wish the business would be better, because I have a real concern for our industry.

From Tyson's Corner — 11/18/2007

Well, I have to think we knew it was coming...the buyouts. But it's a sad time nonetheless. I guess that's the state of our industry with business being down and not yet figuring out where to increase revenue.

From Newark — 09/22/2007

I guess being relatively new to the business I am still a little bit eyes wide open, but in my short time with the company it hasn't been all bad. I work with some decent people, and the think I like about the company is that you can go nearly everywhere since they do promote from within. A number of people I work with have been at other sites, one three of them, and loves the way he'd been promoted. Having said that we are tight staff wise.

From Cherry Hill — 09/03/2007

Arrrgh. Well, in reading the other posts, I guess this ship has sunk. (By the way, what does stinks on ice mean, anyway, the Flyers last year?). But we've got another good publisher, are in an every day battle with the Inky, and having some fun too. I've worked at three newspaper companies and Gannett is the best if that means anything. It is a tough industry, but I wouldn't want to be in any other.

I'm a realist. If we don't do something as an industry we will be down the tubes. But on the other hand, from all the vents, it seems like the world is falling apart. I read where single newspapers lay off hundreds at a time, when our company (excluding those customer service things) lay off a few here and there. I can't get too excited about that.

From Visalia, California — 08/11/2007

Arrrrgh, more cuts. I don't know what is worse, the cuts or watching the stock price drop. Having been around a while I have stock that is now down 25% on average...but then, looking at the industry, the drop in price is all over the place. Everyone is doing more and then more. Pay increases are lower than average. But I guess if the stock price is dropping that's what will happen. The company is trying new things. There was that nice story in Wired. But the good things are fewer and farther between. The company needs a good strong dose of good news, whatever that might be. Right now it's difficult to understand how things have gotten to where they are...but the bottom line is the company is still making money. I just hope management knows how to invest it because the stock is going the wrong way.

From Palm Springs — 08/11/2007

Having read the other posts I guess I am a realist and know our industry is changing and that management needs to make changes. I've worked at several locations, received promotions and have been treated well, so I can't empathize with some of the naysayers. It's amazing how there are so many good things going on, but the bad ones are weighty. The cuts for instance. But to survive I guess you have to do what you have to do.

From White Plains, NY — 07/25/2007

If you are looking for direction or any assistance in your daily job--don't come here. There is little to no management and while that would seem great it is not. Selling newspaper ads in a time where the newspaper is reaching fewer and fewer people is depressing and I can not wait to leave.

From Melbourne — 06/17/2007

The industry has changed, is changing daily, and the company appears to be changing with it. The news room has changed into an information center, we are covering more local news, and I like being part of that change. It's not without its pitfalls, we have lots of challenges, but I like the way the bosses are trying to do things.

It's not the good old days, I am told. Things have changed so much in our industry. This is my fourth newspaper location, two with Gannett Company, and there is a lot of room for advancement here and to other locations. Most of the recent promotions have been from within, which is nice to know.