Working at gamestop — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about gamestop pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at gamestop

From Oakland, CA — 10/03/2010

I would first like to say that Gamestop is a retail company through and through. It lives to make money like ALL retail companies. There are good things about all retail stores, and there are bad things about retail. Gamestop is not excluded in this set by capitalism to make a profit, its the natural thing for a company to do. If you hate to work at one, make yourself into a corporate store and gain yourself 80% of the profit. That simple. But to start off I'd like to address some of the more prevalent complaints regarding Gamestop.

"I don't make enough money" It's true. No retailer likes to pay their employees more than minimum wage. Unless you work for a privately owned company or you have your bachelor's degree, you probably won't make more than minimum wage to start with. But this is everywhere! Mall clothing stores, Walmart, Target, the Supermarket, every retail and fast food corporate owned company where your job is to customer service people and cashier usually starts off at your minimum wage.

"I don't get enough hours" This is only true for part time employees. But it is true. A few years ago Gamestop gave out tons of hours and this led to happier employees with bigger paychecks. However, with every company comes slackers. And lets face it, Gamestop had a reputation for hiring lazy employees a few years ago and some still work there. But these hours gave an entry into slacking off and doing nothing. Not all stores were like that, but a few that had secret shoppers and corporate managers with secret cameras got in trouble for not helping customers and being generally rude and lazy. They spoiled it for us and now we get nothing. It sucks, but if you need more hours at a horrible place, go to McDonalnds, they love to give hours.

"I don't get benefits/promotions" This is probably one of two things: One, you are not a good sales person and don't preform well with numbers and customer, or Two, you have bad management. The first one speaks for itself. The latter sucks, but everyone has had a bad SM/DM/RM or VP of Sales. They usually don't care about your feelings, but they are not paid to care. They are told to promote those who do well in numbers and cut those that don't. This is exactly the way places that have quotas like Best Buy run things as well. You need to be a good sales person, otherwise, this place is not for you.

And as for the "horror stories", please, save them! I've worked in the ghetto of ghettos (Oakland--that's right, THAT Oakland) and I'm a girl and a manager who's had tons of demeaning comments and negativity. The thing is, it's not Gamestop's fault, it's people. People who don't respect others, customers who steal from your store, and managers who are bias. It's people who are horrible and Gamestop hired a lot of lazy gamers years back. Thankfully, most are gone. (I knew one store manager who would make conference calls in the bar, drunk, and on his cell phone.) The thing is, it's retail and retail will always be like this. If you don't like it, don't work retail. Because trust me, I've worked in tons of retail and there isn't one that's better or worse than the rest. It's always annoying to hear the CEO talking about how Gamestop doesn't make "any money", but that's just annoying. The bottom line is, you are getting paid to talk about video games and are encouraged to do so. It's not that bad of a company, you just need to see that.

From WA — 09/24/2010

so far my work life at gamestop has been ok. I'm a GA and only get minimum wage which is understandable because its a pretty easy job.

THE GOOD
-I love my co workers they are the best people ever and working with them is very fun.
-My manager is very nice and is very understanding and helpful when i make mistakes.
-My coworkers are also very helpful and i feel like they look out for me.
-I have met some very nice customers
-Get to check out games and also get discounts ;D

THE BAD
-This week the schedual was not finished until Tuesday so i had to call in and ask if i was working every day.
-As a female I often get harassed by male customers( which is both annoying and unsettling(when it gets to bad my male co workers will step in))
-The hours are unreliable many times i will work only 8 hrs for like three weeks straight and then out of now where i will work 30 hrs in one week it is difficult to balance work and life with that insability
-The unstaible hours also create problems when it comes to paying the rent i never know if i will have enough hours to cover it.and it makes it very difficult to find a much needed second job.

CONCLUSION
I will most likely quite this job in the near future but it definitely isn't the worst place to work and when i do leave i will not regret the time i spent there.

From Grapvine, TX — 09/05/2010

I've been to many websites where disgruntled ex-employees would write incredibly biased opinions on why Gamestop is a tyrannous company. I've got to say that these reviews are not only vengeful, but incredibly
unaccurate for a prospective hiree to think twice on.

First and foremost, Gamestop is a company that rewards hard work. That means that if you come into work every day with a positive attitude, you hit your goals as far as number quota is concerned, and you volunteer
occasional borrows just to spread your name amongst your district, you'll move up. The authors that state they've been a "lowly Game Advisor" for 2 years are probably the ones with glass ceilings directly above their scalp. A lot of lazy employees butcher their opportunities for advancement, and it seems a lot of them pen these articles.

Job security @ Gamestop is solid so long as you aren't a kleptomaniac. It's near impossible to find yourself near termination if you're doing your job to the best of your ability and you aren't biting the hand that feeds you. That means eliminating all suspision. Don't talk about stealing and comply with pocket and bag checks at all times. I refer to a lot of these negative reviews, employees mentioning that they had a reputation for "stealing". Chances are they may have pocketed something and thought it went unnoticed. You don't just grow a theif's reputation out of nowhere.

Location of the company is great. Bigger cities have 3-5 Gamestop's, so you won't find yourself traveling 20 miles to a minimum-wage job, for the most part. This brings me to my next piece, pay rate.

Gamestop is not a commission-based employer. That means you're getting a steady pay check whether you hit your numbers or not. Many people complain that they wish they could get more, but it's minimum wage and unless you're toting a Bachelor's Degree, you're not gonna get anything much better then that. You want to make more money? Go back to school and get a better degree.

Co-Worker competence has a few different variables. Every tenured associate in the company can recall an experience where they had a Store Manager who wasn't completely able to do his/her job to the best of their ability. Once you nut up and flex through the situation, you'll find that it's a learning experience and a growth opportunity. However, when you're blessed with an A-Team and you watch your store rank high in a 6000 store company, you'll realize exactly how much it helps to have a completely competent team.

The Work Environment for Gamestop is actually one of it's few flaws to me. New employees and anybody who shops at our stores think we get paid to play video games. They think that all we do day in and day out is talk about video games, and nothing else really matters. If that were the case, we probably wouldn't be around. I think this is where a lot of disgruntled ex's find their biggest gripes. You actually have to work when you're under the Gamestop flag. That means no playing your PSP, DS, reading Game Magazines or just checking out the next thing you might buy. Gamestop maintains a high level of professionalism and if more people took that into account, it would grow even more than it has since.

Career Growth, to me at least, is highly probable if you're up to the task. In 3 years, I was hired in as a Game Advisor and now have my own store. I'm a success story where I busted my hump through the years of my employment, to find the end of the rainbow almost everytime I went searching for it. If you maintain yourself as a very efficient worker, you make your presence known throughout your district as well as to your higher-ups, you'll get the promotion you're aiming for.

Last but not least, Work/Life balance at Gamestop is pretty solid I'd have to say. As a Store Manager, you're salary and you're probably going to work an average of 45 hours non-holiday periods. That means that when you aren't at the store, you can always expect a phone call if something is happening. This constant connection to your store is actually a good thing if you care about how your store operates in your absence. Gamestop also piled on a boat load of benefits that can help your home-life, ranging from health insurance throughout your immediate family to counseling should you need it. Credit consolidation, 401K and stock investments also help throughout the process.

So to close this up, I think that for every negative review, there needs to be a positive one. Gamestop is a thriving company, and one of the most solid retail companies around. I've heard many complaints from different like-retail companies such as Gamestop, and I can tell you that although retail carries the same burden throughout the product it sells, it is what it is. Maintain a positive attitiude and you'll look on the biased negative blasts as lousy attempts to stir the bee-hive.

From Glendale, AZ — 08/13/2010

I don't think the company is bad. I can see why so many people are upset with GameStop and I worked my way from a GA to an SGA just like everyone else. I think its unfortunate that the company does get fuel from the assholes that berate people into pre-orders. How GAs are now feeling like lesser people cause their cozy 16 hr work weeks are now 9 or less due to the "economy".

For those wanting to know if they should apply. Examine the staff carefully before hiring. Its not a dream job. Its just another job. It can be fun still you just have to find the GameStop that doesn't suck the corporate tit every week.

From Parkesburg, PA — 07/06/2010

Pay- I was a seasonal hire, therefore not on the team long enough to get any sort of raise. But they said evaluations are done twice a year for a raise. Not bad, but I got minimum to start. So does everyone I believe.

Respect- I was never asked to do anything ridiculous. Since I was there for black Friday and the day after Christmas, things got crazy. But I was able to get done everything that was asked of me. If you annoyed them (bound to happen at first at least) you could tell they were annoyed by their tone of voice when they talk to you. Looking up things in the computer is slow at first so for the first week or two of work I asked a manager if we had something rather than looking it up, for customer convenience.

Benefits- 4 day game checkout wasn't bad. You could take new games if you wanted to. 15% off on all games, systems and accessories. Except new systems. 25% off Barnes and Noble, and 50% off at their coffee shop, with the presentation of a pay stub. Not bad. They also gave me a book titled C.A.R.E.S. Concerned associates reaching equitable solutions. Supposedly in case I wanted to sue them for something.

Job security- Unless you do something incredibly dumb, you won't get fired. If you don't show up for work and don't call, they automatically terminate you. Unless of course you had a really good reason for now showing up, and not calling, ie, you were unconscious on the side of the road, etc.

Work/life balance- Didn't at all mind even a 6 and 7 hour shift. Time went by very fast, because I was always doing something. I prefer this as opposed to sitting around all day. I was scheduled a few days a week usually. Since I was seasonal I usually worked weekends, along with Monday or Tuesday. Sometimes if I got into a fight at home or something I called work and asked if they needed extra help. If they needed it I came in and worked.

Career Potential/Growth- There is potential. But for a really nice salary I doubt it. Not my type of career but for someone who missed out on school or something its a great job. Much better than stores like Walmart.

Location- The Parkesburg store was conveniently located by a Walmart, off Lincoln Highway. About a 10 minute drive.

Co-worker competence- Since Gamestop is a small store, customers see everything you do, and don't do. Of course there's times when we don't know the answer. Usually one of us knows. If we don't know, we honestly tell the customer that we don't know.

Work environment- The work place was always clean. Every night we vacuumed and cleaned the windows. Air conditioning and heating always worked when it was supposed to. The only dirty part was when some fat slob turned in a video game with parts of last nights dinner on them. And there was hand cleaner behind the register, just for this.

To sum it up it's not a bad job. especially compared to my job at KMART. I would work here again, and will apply if necessary. The manager said he'd call me back if he needed an associate. He and I talked a lot even before employment.

From Cincinnati, OH — 05/01/2010

I loved Gamestop. Worked there for 3 years, but then for monetary reasons had to switch to a competing company- however, now that I've picked up a new job in a different industry, I've been offered my PT job at Gamestop back, and I'm certainly taking it.

Pay: Not so great. Definitely the worst aspect of working at Gamestop, in my opinion; if you're looking for something to pay the bills, this is not it. However, as a supplement to school or a once-a-week thing on top of another job, it's great, because you're not expecting the money anyway. Started off at minimum wage ($5.15 at the time), got a bit of a raise every year, EVEN the years minimum wage went up. Ended up at $7.35. So, again, not great, but you get higher raises based on good performance and I applaud the fact that they gave us a raise, in a bad economy, even on years they technically didn't have to.
As for anyone who's complained about the pay being too little for what you're asked to do, try working at a grocery store and then say the pay at GS sucks. I had about three times as much work at a grocery store for equal pay... and please people, grow up. It's not particularly difficult to run the register or alphabetize games.

Respect: Varies. As a female GA, I always had th odd customer who completely ignored me or told me I knew nothing about video games, but you'll get arseholes anywhere, so it didn't bother me that much- especially as my SM, ASM and SGA all knew that I was the best GA in the store. Within the store, I got respect from pretty much everyone. I always kind of felt like our DM didn't like me a whole lot, but I never talked to him much and pretty much just tried to stay out of his way and do my job the best I could whenever he dropped by. And of course, like in any corporation, store level employees don't get a whole lot of corporate respect, but that's to be expected.

Benefits: Meh, I'm pretty neutral here. I was offered some sort of health care- got the information package in the mail at least twice a year- but I'm still on my parents' insurance until I graduate, so I never bothered to see how expensive it was. Other than that, 15% discount on new isn't terrible, 15% on used is not great, but for the $14.99 GI magazine (which I subscribed to before even becoming an employee anyway, as I enjoy reading it) you aslo get an extra 10% off on used, bringing to to 25%, and you get a 10% bump on all game trade ins. Also, checking any game out for four days at a time is great- sadly, you can only check out each game once a month, but that's in the interest of actually keeping it in the store for paying customers to buy duh.

Security: Not once did I ever feel like my job was at stake. Even some of the less ambitious GAs were kept on for longer than I thought they should have been. Gamestop encourages managers to not fire people so unless you do something particularly idiotic, don't expect to lose this job unless you quit. I've heard it gets a little rougher when you move up the ranks, but then, more is expected of you, so I'd assume it's a bit tougher anyway. Basically, just do your job, don't steal from the company, and don't be a brat.

Balance: As a GA, don't expect many hours. Each manager is expected to have a certain amount of employees at his or her store, and because most of the hours allotted to each store go to the ASM and SGA, that leaves generally around 20-30 hours per week to split between anywhere from 3-6 GAs. This, of course, allows for a pretty open social life. I never felt that I was treated poorly for not being able to cover someone else's shift, and I was given the days off that I needed, even when I forgot to ask in advance. With so few hours available anyway, it was easy to work around pretty much any schedule.

Growth: Pretty decent. I've been offered a promotion to SGA several times, and I've seen a lot of other GAs actually move up into the position. After that, I've noticed it goes down just a bit- I think I may have seen more outside hires for ASMs, but I've only seen two new managers in my time there, one of whom was inside promotion, the other was an outside hire, so I can't say for sure. Overall, decent if you want to try for it, I suppose.

Location: What is there to say, but the fact that they're everywhere? Seriously, Gamestop is the Starbucks of the gaming world. You can pretty much pick and choose your own store, so I'd suggest getting to know the people who work at any location you might be interested in- of course your experience will change depending on your coworkers. I was lucky enough to live in an area with 3 really awesome stores all right next to each other.

Coworkers: Depends. I've seen good and bad. A few idiots have stolen from the company, and a few of the highschool or college age kids who I've worked with have just been lazy, but you'll get that anywhere. Again, just check out the place you're interested in first, and get to know everyone there.

Work environment: Generally as good as you make it. If you get upset about every snobby customer, or let yourself get worked up over every little kid who wrecks your store, then yeah, it's not going to be a fun place to work. But if you accept it as part of the job and try to have fun, you'll probably have a great time like I did. Also, again- make sure to familiarize yourself with your possible coworkers! Also, beware your area- Gamestops are likely targets for robberies. Try to pick somewhere in a mall or some relatively nice suburbs, if you can, as it make you feel much more at ease.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Gamestop to anyone who just wants a fun, laid back job- just make sure you get to know people first so you can know what to expect from your coworkers and bosses.

From California — 02/17/2010

Gamestop is by no means the most amazing job on earth, but what it is, is fun. Sadly fun doesn't pay the bills... it does quite the opposite of that.

I've worked for GS for nearly 3 years, i've been promoted once, and demoted once (lack of numbers).

Keep in mind for starters if you work for GS you're starting with min wage. And to make matters worst you'll be lucky to get 6 hours a week, most stores give less. In most stores there's 5 levels a person can go up until they no longer work in a store.

Game Advisor - Bottom of the barrel, max hours maybe 10 on a good week, most likely you'll get 3-4 hours.

Lead Game Advisor - Now I read a review where someone mentioned that SGA is the worst position, he/she forgot about LGA. LGA is by far the worst position you can have, because you're expected to do all the duties of an SGA but with the hours of a GA. plus there's no pay raise for LGA promotion. Average hours a bit above GA but still nothing special

Senior Game Advisor - Now you're higher up, you're still part-time and have no benefits, but you'll get hours, 30 hours minimum. But what you do makes up for that, you now close and open the store personally on a daily basis. You take in shipments, and numbers are beyond important

Assistant Manager - SGA with benefits, and 40 hours a week. That's really the only difference between SGA and ASM.

Manager - ASM with better pay, and makes the schedule.

As for respect, my co-workers were some of the best friends i've ever made. My manager treated us all like her little siblings, and it was a blast working for her. She tried to do what she could for hours, but she wasn't superwoman so it's understandable.

Job Security - most gamestops try not to fire as much as possible (doesn't mean they won't try to get you to quit) since starting my job i've only seen 2 people get fired. The reason for this is because Managers and Regional managers get a bonus at the end of the year if they don't fire many people. So working for GS I never felt like my job was at jeopardy, but I always did a good job anyway so.

Work Environment - depends on where you work, in my town we're on of 4 GS and we're on the outskirts of town so we get very few customers. Which is nice for going to school cause I can get all my work down at work and get paid for it.

From Tennessee — 10/17/2009

I have been working for Gamestop for almost 3 years now. I've been in the position of Game Adviser, Senior Game Adviser, and Assistant Store Manager. I am now in the position of SGA.

Pay: I feel I am paid very well due to my years of service and also my very productive/efficient job performance. Game advisers cannot expect to be paid any more than minimum wage simply because that's why minimum wage is there, many of them are hired with little to no previous job and retail experience, and if you do have the experience, you are entitled to ask for more pay, whether they'll give it to you or not, I don't know. I know from experience that ASM pay is adequate for living on your own in a modest situation, and as far as store manager pay, I'm really not sure.

Respect: I am one of two females that work in my store, we are both treated very well by our store manager and our game advisers. I also feel respected by my DM and have received personal compliments for things that I have done even when I am not there when he does his audits. On a personal level, I have no complaints about this area.

Benefits: Err... what's that? Limited health care is available to all employees, I'm covered under my dad's plan for a little while more, so I haven't yet taken advantage of this. As far as vacation, personal, and sick days go, you won't see them unless you are full time (ASM/SM only).

Job Security: I have no worries about losing my job. I've always worked very hard and my superiors know this. Do your job, go a little beyond here and there, and you'll have nothing to worry about. Oh, and don't do anything stupid (i.e. breaking the ESRB/trade-in policy)

Work/Life Balance: No issues here. Since I'm not currently enrolled in school if anything I can't get enough hours. It really depends on your SM, but generally they are willing to work around your schedule if it's not too complex.

Career Potential/Growth: I moved up very quickly in the first year I was employed with Gamestop, if I'd known better, I would have stayed in the position of ASM. In the past few months I've found out that many ASM positions have opened up in the area and they'd been filled from outside the company before I even knew they existed. I feel, with very good reasons (one of them being that I have previously been a very successful ASM), that I am highly qualified for an ASM position, and it is extremely disappointing to not even be given a chance at these positions before they are filled with people from outside the company who require much more training. I could probably go on for a long time about this. So I won't.

Location: There's at least 3 locations that are less than 15 minutes away from where I live. No complaints.

Co-worker Competence: My co-workers know their games, that's for sure. They are not quite as motivated to fulfill the non-game-related requirements of their jobs. But they do them when they are asked.

Work Environment: This definitely depends on the store you work in. My store is awesome. The environment is very laid back, the management staff does not need any strict regulation, everything always gets done without the threat of punishment. Also, the new dress code change has been fantastic. Jeans/soft-soled shoes are definitely better suited for a video game store, and I now feel more comfortable the entire time I'm at work.

Overall I think Gamestop is a nice place to work. They treat their employees generally like any other corporation. I feel like I have had a more positive experience than others who have posted on this site. But I am not without my own complaints.

From Texas — 09/08/2009

As a part-time employee at Gamestop, I think its a pretty decent place to work at if you're going to school. They can work really well with your hours, especially since you barley get any hours to begin with. If you're not working at a Gamestop at the mall and you're a part-time employee, you're going to be working about 3-10 hours a week on average. The manager that makes the schedules gives out hours based on how many hours the store is given to distribute to its employees. For example, if the store is given 90 hours to work with, about 40 hours goes to the Assistant Manager automatically, about 30 goes to to person right under him/her, so the rest of the 20 hours has to be split with the rest of the employees. Working at gamestop can be pretty crappy if you're looking to make cash. But if you just want to be making some money on the side while you go to school or something, then it's pretty cool.

The benefits of working there aren't so great. You get 15% off of everything except new consoles, which is pretty understandable. But getting 15% off of their used stuff (25% if you buy their edge card every year), doesn't seem right to me, only because Gamestop buys stuff from their customers for very little and then sells it for very high. For example, they'll buy a game from somebody for $3, then they'll sell it for $19.99. That doesn't seem very fair to me.

As a company, they are very wasteful. If Gamestop recycled all of the useless stuff they require employees to print out, or recycled their marketing stuff when it isn't needed anymore, I could respect the company more. But they don't. Everyday, cardboard boxes, posters, and paper are thrown in the trash. I think 80% of the stuff we throw away can be recycled.

Overall, Gamestop is an alright place to work at if you're just looking to make some extra bucks, but as a career, I'm not sure. It can be pretty hard to move up in the company

From Texas — 08/14/2009

After reading some of the comments below I must say I'm just seeing a bunch of disgruntled workers that a.) don't believe in the practices of the company b.) don't want to do the work required to keep their job and c.) mad because the Federal minimum wage keeps going up but they aren't being compensated. So, I would like to answer these three responses. If you are in group A...go find another career you obviously aren't going to go very far in the company with that attitude. That's like being a doctor but you don't want people to get well??? Hmm..maybe it's not the right job choice for you. If you are a part of group B, you might think as an SGA or a GA that you are being required to do as much work...you're not. Especially when I can point out that an actual former employee at my store posted about this a few comments below and yet this employee was rarely asked to do defective ships, Cat counts, marketing sets and never required to do interviews, scheduling, inventories, inventory preps or other "senior management" tasks. This employee couldn't even keep the logs filled out, updated or read and sign conference call notes, weekly checklist, or even making sure the store was vacuumed and the windows cleaned each day...so you just think you had it hard....in actuality you were doing less then your job requirements were. Well, that explains why you are a "former" employee now doesn't it. It seems like people want to come to WORK and just get paid to stand there and talk...that's not a job...if that's your career choice maybe you should find a job with a sex hotline or psychic hotline...then you can talk all you want. Now if you are in group C, that is completely understandable but unfortunate...please remember that's a company issue and not an issue with your store manager. If you wanted a better raise you should have done you're job better or asked for better training. You can't get anywhere if you aren't willing to put forth the extra effort to make an impression. Maybe you should try fast food...they get fired if they are late, don't come in dress code or have cash shortages of +/- $2.00...not to mention people treat them like crap and they really bust their bums. So, before you complain about your job...maybe you outta take a good look at yourself??? Oh by the way...just an FYI, Texas is a right to work state...if you're laid of you can get unemployment but if you're fired you get jack! They can fire you for any reason they want...don't like it? Move...just an idea...