Working at GAB Robins — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about GAB Robins pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at GAB Robins

From West of USA — 05/28/2008

I worked for this company for 5 years. I didn't mind working there, as I did get promoted twice in that time and I liked my co-workers.
Pay: Not good at all. When I left for a huge competitor, I got an instant $10K raise per year but they tried to get me to stay and didn't match. Why would I have stayed for less than $10K?
Respect: Neutral on this. I never felt like I was one of the "team" but I was not disrespected. I felt very young compared to my co-workers at the time. The "branch manager" was an interesting character and you got the feeling that you were less of a person compared to the BM.
Benefits: Ok, nothing special. My 401K was good though when I left.
Job Security: In the 5 years I spent there I never got any verbal or written warnings. I wasn't really in fear of losing my job, but we were busy sometimes working on Saturday and when the company would lose an account, the files would sometimes follow and they didn't need the workforce. This occurred several times during my time. I've heard now that they have closed many, many offices and that is sad. This is a tiny company though.
Work/Life Balance: I dont recall any issues specifically, but when I was hired I had very small children. I was asked what would I do if they were sick and I wanted to stay home? Right answer would be go to work! I had to tell them my husband would take care of them. So, I preteneded to be sick at times in order to take care of my children. This is discrimmination, but at the time I was just happy to be hired and would have said anything. They were ok when I had to take a few weeks off for surgery.
Career Potential/Growth: You could get promoted to a Senior when people left the company. Rarely were there promotions without that. Not much training either, not like today.
Location: Great for me, less than 30 minutes.
Co-worker competence: Ok. People worked together and would offer advice. I don't recall meeting with my supervisor much to ask questions.
Work Environment: There was plenty of time for chatting until the boss walked by, then you went back to your desk. We were in enclosed cubicles with one desk, so not many distractions. It wasn't a bad place to work, but you knew you were not in the top performing companies handling similar type of work.

From Nashville, TN — 03/17/2007

Worked at GAB for 6 years. Good place, good people. As stated by others, any claims job requires lots of work and overtime, but the environment is good and management gives you lots of responsibility. You can get ahead if you like or hang yourself if you screw up. Pretty good place to work and the training is second to none. The pay is a bit low, but if you get additional letters after your name (i.e. AIC, CPCU etc) the pay goes up quite a bit. The pay for claims adjusters in the Souteast can rage from 25k for a newb right out of college up to 85k for a General Adjuster, CPCU certified with 25 years experience. If you like claims it's worth a try. Be warned that depending on the region of the country you work, Management cany vary GREATLY. Like any company they do have some bad mangers around.

From New York, NY — 09/23/2006

Great company to work for as long as you know your stuff. You get the go ahead to make the tough decisions and management respects your knowledge. There as some issues with the clients they handle, but that has nothing to do with how GAB operates. There's an extreme amount of work, but there's always alot of work in this industry, so it's not anymore than any of the other places I've worked at. They need to update their computer system to be more user friendly and more detailed. Sometimes claims get lost because of the system and things can get ugly when that happens. If GAB spends some money they will be able to more effectively handle their claims and back their product which is client retention. Overall, It's a pretty nice place to work and I would recommend it to anyone that handles heavy litigation cases with high policy limits.