Working at Frito Lay — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Frito Lay pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Frito Lay

From Kansas City — 07/22/2010

I have been working at Frito Lay for 2 years now as a Route Sales Rep. It is hard work for the money! Not everybody can do this job. Starting off the first couple of months were very hard working 50+ hours a week. Once you got familiar to how things work and doing the work right the first time it became much easier! I work on average 40-45 hours a week now! I am done between noon and 1 and have time to enjoy with my kids when they are done at school! I like the company and the people i work for! Frito-Lay is a good company to work for it just takes that time to figure out how it works and it is worth it!

From Midwest — 02/12/2010

I agree with the person that pointed out that most people post on these sites who have had bad experiences with the company. I am in a management position, and seriously this job is all about HOW THE RSRS are TREATED BY THEIR MANAGERS!!! I've seen some DSLs just be completely unreasonable, sit on their asses, complain, and not get out THERE in the FIELD and HELP their guys. Servant-Leadership is the only way this job is made better. I know as a manager I am constantly out in the field with my guys, and they love it. They know I will be there for them and will bend over backwards for them. The one thing that did piss me off was that we couldn't buy Xmas gifts for them out of company funds, but you know what I did, as a manager, I paid out of pocket. Because, I feel that they need to be shown appreciation EVERYDAY for the work they do.

The problem is, that most management people are RSRs that have been promoted. Hiring from the outside has been a recent initiative to create some different viewpoints. When some of there RSRs are promoted, the last thing they want to do is extra work or get back out on a route. Some of them are just generally overall bitter. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good ones in the bunch, but because they are hiring people out of college doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing. I was not hired out of college by the way. My guys have figured out ways to limit the amount of hours they are working, and myself as a manager am very conscious of it as well. The past holidays, and even superbowl, I am able to utilize my extras, myself, and the swing routes to make sure everyone has the help they need to complete the day in less than 10 hours. I am not the typical manager with Frito Lay. I notice a lot of people like to bitch and complain, but yet and still never offer a solution. I previously worked at a job that was 10x more demanding than Frito, so really, you don't know how good you have it, for those who are complaining.

Granted, I don't think we spend nearly enough on rewarding our RSRs, however, that is up to the Manager. I have given my guys all the tools they need to be able to win contests, and have even given them insight to winning tickets to the fiesta bowl. Which was RSR heavy when I went down there in the last couple of years. I think there is a lot of bitterness, but like I said, if you have worked outside the company, this job is much more rewarding.

From Sterling Heights — 03/27/2009

Most of the people here review because they are angry with the company or there own personal situations. I have been through all sorts of emotions about Frito Lay. I guess in the end its what you make it. The Work will not do itself. If more attention is paid to the tasks at hand, instead of complaining, things would be much easier. This is a job like all jobs. I would rather win the lottery and travel all my life. But reality is I didnt hit that lottery. I have excepted the job for what it is and have change my focus and attitude. It went from being a place I couldnt wait to leave to a way to feed my family pay my mortgage and have a decent life for the level of education I have. I have work in a few places before and found the same problems with different characters. If you just goto work. Do the job. No Shortcuts. Things are fine. For a hard worker with a little self pride I would recommend this place for a decent living.

From Salem, OR — 02/18/2009

Having moved around a bit while working for Frito Lay, I can tell you that how Frito Lay treats you as an RSR is highly dependant on the facility you are working for. The Southern Oregon Zone has a great Zone Leader who somehow manages to emphasize a great-work life balance among his employees while still achieving sales results. But I have also been in areas where it was all about the sales. That said, after the first couple years when you have had a chance to move to a decent route, Frito is a great place to work with good benefits comparatively and a fairly high level of job security. Advancement within the company is there if you apply yourself, show proven results, and can find a way to stand out amongst your peers. That said, its not a good time to be entering management in Frito due to the rough economy. The RSRs are going to be the last to be laid off if it comes to that for the simple fact that Frito cannot continue to grow without them.

From Lynchburg, VA — 09/12/2008

Work, work, work. Everyone is right. Managers are expected to work 10 hours a day. OT on the floor is a guarantee. If you want to move up, work hard and blow your own horn. It works. As you will see, the Leadership team are pretty pathetic. They really don't do crap. Most don;t even make it 8 hours a day. The company is making a fortune and the managers do pretty well considering they start in the 45 range and raises are around 5% and bonus is 8% ... the people on the floor get the short stick with a big 3.5% raise and a 3% bonus.

From Perry, Ga — 06/19/2008

Pay is pretty good but you need to work a lot of hours beyound 5 days a week. The respect is very deceptive. You are made to believe you are an important part of everything but you are not taken serious. Their has to be some security because I would have been fired for just saying what I believe to be so. If you are working a lot it's hard to have a family life. I've missed several family gatherings because we work holidays. Frito has some in house growth but mostly new hires. We seem to need a resource for a resource. We have so many. The location is pretty good and there is still space to grow. It's about 10 miles from a mane city. Just a few miles from a little place.I feel the co-workers know what they are doing it's the resource we worry about. Our plant is only 20 years old and very new departments. They try to make it safe but stuff happens. Wow magor crime.

From Boston — 03/29/2008

I read everyones reviews, not just Boston. We all stay for various reasons responsibilities to family, benefits, we don't feel like we can leave, maybe we want things to work out, etc. I get the feeling people feel trapped. Don't forget we all have the right to a choice. -Peace