Working at fred meyer — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about fred meyer pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at fred meyer

From Corvallis, OR — 03/04/2010

I think perhaps some of the issues people are having are not because of the company, but rather people and society in general. Given the patriarchy that exists, I cannot be surprised. However, my experience working at the Fred Meyer in Corvallis has been fantastic. The HR rep is friendly, personable, and helpful. My boss hired me full time right away (I needed hours) and gave me a boost on the "pay steps" despite my complete lack of experience. Everyone took time to train the "new kid" and I know I asked way to many questions and I am sure it annoyed people, though everyone was respectful. My managers have been kind, human, and admirable, and most of my coworkers are dedicated. Actually, I feel as though my coworkers and bosses have accepted me and helped me make a community out of the work environment.

Pay is not incredible, but it's above minimum wage and I have only been here since October. Often I feel unchallenged, but I am kind of weird and like to learn constantly. Life/work balance is alright; when I was very sick and needed a week off, all I heard was a sympathetic "feel better soon" and "take care of yourself". Maybe it's different because we're a college town and we have a tiny store, but I really love it here because of the people (less because of the work).

From WA — 12/05/2008

The first couple of weeks I worked at Fred Meyer, everything seemed find and I though I would actually be one of the few that enjoyed my job. How wrong I was.

The pay is alright, since it's above minimum wage. At first, I thought my pay was good, but after working there and realizing how much work I have to do for what i'm being paid (i'm a grocery parcel), it's kind of a joke.

There's plenty of people at Fred Meyer that don't show respect, particularly to people in my position. It's ridiculous. Even when you're working your butt off, no one will bother to say a simple "good job".

The benefits are good, except I hate the fact that Fred Meyer is part of the Union now.. so expect even more to be taken from your paycheck.

I'd say the job security is good. There's always gonna be people shopping at a grocery store.

Work life/balance SUCKS. Their scheduling system is so random, it makes it impossible to find a second job or to make plans.. and they will call you in A LOT to see if you can work a certain shift, because a lot of people call in sick or what not.

I've only been working here for 2 months, so i'm not sure about the career potential/growth. But a friend of mine has been working as a parcel for a year and has yet to be "upgraded". Another friend of mine said it took him FOREVER to be promoted from a parcel to produce.

Location is good, I suppose.

I enjoy most of the people I work with. It may be hard to believe, but there's a lot of drama, at least in the store i'm working in. But sometimes even the "nice" ones will b!tch at you for making the SIMPLEST mistake.

Overall, working at Fred Meyer isn't the best place.. the benefits are good, the pay is decent.. but there's too much drama in this store and not enough respect given among co-workers.. i'll be quitting here pretty soon.

From Everett, WA — 07/20/2008

While the pay is good and the health benefits are excellent (thanks to the union), there are never enough people working so the stress level skyrockets for the few who are there. As a cashier in the Hardware Dept, I am frequently having to deal a long line and no help or help that comes too late. I suffer verbal abuse from certain customers and when I need a manager they are usually at the other end of the store. I had to wait an hour to go to the restroom one time because no one was available to take over for me. We used to have a team, now it's every person for themselves. I blame the upper management for failing to staff properly. If they only knew how crappy customer service gets when there is a lack of help on the floor... Why do we have four registers in my department and only one cashier? Beats me.
If you choose to work for this company make sure you NEVER cashier unless you are a masochist. I'm leaving as soon as I can.

From Portland, OR — 06/16/2007

It can be a good place to work, depending on who your managers are. Fortunately, we are union so I have full health and dental benefits though I only work about 20-25 hours a week. This also helps with job security. Still, the upper management is stocked with people who are out of touch and basically not very smart. I like to read some of the memos we get from the main office--full of spelling and grammar errors.