Working at Forever 21 — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Forever 21 pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Forever 21

From New York — 10/17/2010

I just started working at forever 21 a week ago and I'm quitting tomorrow. It is absolutely ridiculous, the only reason why I didn't quit earlier was because of the pay. Sales gets paid $9.50 an hour which is amazing but honestly for all the shit you go through it's not worth it. They have us working in there like crazy, people come in at 2pm and leave at 3am, they don't care if you have school the next day the managers only seem to care about themselves which is pathetic because while everyone is putting back 10 full racks of clothing the managers get to leave earlier than everyone else because they're too tired and they have their own things to worry about. No one can leave until everything on the racks is put back and if we're done we have to help people downstairs put everything back. [our forever 21 has 2 floors]
The customers honestly have no respect for the store, after working there I've realized how disrespectful and disgusting girls are. All the women and girls that shop in the store think it's okay to come in the store try clothes on and leave them wherever the see a rack, people get clothes from racks and if they drop even one shirt they're not picking it up because they don't feel like it they literally pull the shirts off the hanger if they're located high on the wall because they're too lazy to wait until you can reach if for them. Customers leave the accessory section a disgusting mess, there's always going to be clothes on the floor even if you've just organized and cleaned that section 10 mins before. I've worked in retail before but this place is crazy, I thought I could handle it but if it means that I'm going to start missing my college classes cause of this place then hell no. School is way more important and I thought I could level both school and working here but they don't give a fuck, they'll have you working until 3am even if you have class the next day at 8am they don't care if you get any sleep or if you're late to your class.
If you're not in at the exact time they want you to be you get written up, if you don't get a walk out or anybody to check you before you go on break you get written up, if you clock in 2 mins early you get written up, if you wear jeans that are too ripped or shirts that reveal too much you get written up, if you have your phone on you and they catch you that's a write up only managers are allowed to have there phones on them, if you take your break too late you get written up because they're not allowed to have you work more than 4 hours without taking a break if you're working 8 hours or more that day or that will give the store a violation and they can get sued so we need to make sure that we go on break when we're assigned and if not you get written up. How are we suppose to know what time we can go on break if we can't even check our phones, and you can't leave your station to check the time because you need to be there at all times. The only way to know the time is if you ask someone. All it is, is a bunch of rules and if you get written up 3 times you're "terminated". Honestly, I love the store it's one of my favorite places to shop but working there sucks, the discount is horrible and the hours are crazy, you can have it typed on your schedule that you're done at 10pm but they'll keep you until 2:30-3am, I don't even know why they make a schedule with times you can leave if it's pointless. The first day I started there it wasn't bad, I came in at 4pm and I had to stay until 1am because my manager didn't want to "overwhelm me with all the work". The second day I stayed until 2am and for my most recent schedule they had me working till close 2 days in row on one of those days they wanted me to come in at 10am the day after I stayed until 2:30 to work until close again.
Most of the managers there are cool but there's a couple of bitches that work there that give you the nastiest attitude, even some sales associates were rude they think that just because they've worked there longer that it's okay for them to talk shit about new people. Everything has to be perfect and put back in it's place and if not then you have to re-do everything and on top of that if they feel like it they'll put you in another location so now you have to work in two sections at once and multitask with sometimes the help of NO ONE.
This girl who works there got written up because her mom go into a car accident and she didn't inform the managers before her shift but her mom got into an accident the same day she was scheduled to work but the didn't care they still wrote her up for it. If you call saying you can't make it because of personal family emergencies of if you just really don't feel good you need to have PROOF that you're telling the truth, so lets say a relative passes away you need to have PROOF that they've passed away with a death certificate, are you fucking kidding me? How disrespectful. Most of my friends were thinking about applying there but after they found out how crazy it was they decided that it would be better to just stay as customers because honestly you'll lose lots of sleep, personal time and you'll be stressed all the time. This places literally sucks the life out of you, forget about having a social life after this because after the day you start working there it doesn't exist anymore.

From St Louis, MO — 07/28/2010

I've been with F21 for over 2 years and have really enjoyed it! Yes, there are days that are rough, but here's a wake up call - its work! It's going to be hard sometimes, but that's with any job you've had. For the most part, this is a fun job where I get to talk about fashion all day, help customers shop fashion forward trends and get to know the employees.

I started off as a Visual and am now a Store Manager. I moved up the ladder quickly because I worked hard and did what was expected. I never felt as though I was sacraficing too much, I just did my personal best and it was recognized. Its the people who want to stand around, talk to their friends, slack off and not work that don't like F21. The store is too large with too many items to just stand around. You have to stay busy the whole time you're there, which also makes the time go by fast. Most employees I've worked with understand this and we're out of there an hour after the mall closes.

Forever 21 doesnt make their employees offer annoying credit cards or have sales requirements. The store does have sales goals, but it is for the whole store to work towards. They do not give out scripts for their employees to read on the phone or when greeting the door. It's really a place where you can be yourself, show off your personal style and be a personal shopper.

Benefits are good too, but only offered to full time employees. Its one of the best health care packages I've had. It even covers things like acupuncture, chiropractors ect.

Requesting time off is usually not an issue either. Part time employees have a lot of flexibility and full time employees have PTO. There are a few times during the year that everyone is required to work, such as back to school and holiday season. But that is to be expected! You're working in retail people- you need to be there for the busiest times of the year! It's a teamwork environment.

All and all, I've enjoyed my time and Forever 21 and look forward to sticking around for a while! Don't listen to these negative people who are exagerating about this company. They most likely are lazy, have attitude problems and really just dont want to work in general. :)

From Maryland — 07/27/2010

I loved working there! My SM was really awesome and my DM seemed really nice. They were really flexible with my schedule while in college and never gave me grief about needing days off. The other sales associates were for the most part really nice, and everyone worked hard. It was the best retail place I ever worked and i've worked at a bunch. The only reason I left is b/c I graduated college and got a job in my field. But if you like working in retail and love fashion then I def recommend working at f21.

From Oregon — 04/21/2010

Working at Forever 21 is not as bad as most of these people are making it seem. It has its advantages but it also has its disadvantages. The cool things about this job are the atmosphere. I get to be surrounded by all different styles, and it's really expanded my wardrobe due to the cheap prices. I get to see the new merchandise right when it's pulled out of the box and put on a rack. I have an amazing boss who is so accommodating. She's pretty fair with hour distribution among the sales associates, we're all within a few hours of each other. If we request days off, she's really great about giving us them off. A lot of our employees are students or have second jobs and she's awesome about working around our other schedules. I also love all the girls I work with, we've become friends and even hang out outside of work often. The downfalls of working at Forever 21 are.... well abundant. The company doesn't provide us with the tools to keep our store looking amazing. Other stores have crews who clean their stores often, jet pack vacuums, and other varies tools. We have loose tiles that the company has taken forever to fix, we have dirty curtains in the fitting rooms, tons of dust all over the store and so on. The store is so packed that it's cluttered and looks a hot mess. The discount is 10%, that's barely anything! Overall though, I like working at Forever 21.

From Las Vegas, NV — 03/25/2010

I don't know if it's the location of the Forever 21 stores but the store I work at is amazing. I agree with everyone's reviews concerning disrespectful managers, but that's because I also worked at a Forever 21 that had an average town population. The managers at the fashion show mall have great experience and are concerned for the common sales associate. They have a :respect me, i'll respect you" type of policy. Especially at this location, the tourists are SO OBNOXIOUS, saying they can just go to Neiman Marcus to buy a cami or at my country, they'll let me return it. Anyways, the workers here are team players, everyone is in it as a team aswell as moving up individually. We get new workers occasionally but I guess the managers weed out the nonpotential. They reward us with praise and aren't really mean. They have favorites but I think that's relevant anywhere but that's not really a huge issue. From what I've seen, the managers here are very professional but can still joke around to lighten the mood. I'm just excited for the new store opening up, which will be the biggest one in the company so far! Hopefully, things won't change once the new store opens but I LOVE working here. It has it's ups and downs & it really shows you the ugly side of retail, especially with the customers!

From CA — 03/03/2010

The pay is above average, that can not be argued. Respect isn't a big issue, it's mostly sales associates who are disrespectful more then anything. It is really hard to get fired in the company so job security is not a problem. Asking for time off is a bit of a touchy subject, but then again it is your job, and it should be your priority. Raises and promotions are very real in this company despite what some people might say. That is something however will vary from store to store. But from my experience hard work does pay off in this company. Location? Haha, idk they are all in malls, it is what it is... I personally enjoy most of my co-workers and bosses. It's a fun place to work. Sometimes the store is crazy busy and messy and it makes things hard, but that is just what the job entails. It's not supposed to be easy. I don't know though, I was never much of a complainer but I am sure if you look there are plenty of things you could complain about... beats working a burger king...

From va — 02/18/2010

well i am currently working in forever 21 and i'm also balancing high school at the same time. working at forever 21 has been so far a great experience, you're always engaged in something whether its chatting with customers or organizing your section, you're always doing something so the job never becomes boring, and everyday is a different day and is always fun.

the pay is great! for it being my second job and not having much experience i personally think that 8.50 an hour is pretty much amazing. and the hours are good too, theres never a time when they need to cut my hours

The managers respect sales associates like they would like to be respected, theres rarely a time when the managers act harshly, they are basically one of us on the sales floor. And at least at the forever 21 i work at everyone treats each other with so much respect as if we were basically one big family. I remember my first day on the job i didnt know exactly what i was suppose to do, but my co workers were very nice to me and helped me along the way and just welcomed me into their big family

as of job security, there isnt much i can expect from that. there are occasionally fights at the front door but i have never heard of one inside, but other than the rare fights that go on, there has never been much of a situation in the area.

howcome i'm still in highschool i need to balance school, sports, extra activities and a job, and the managers do a great job in that. There was a time when i had to many hours but that was because i was working the holidays, but they understand that school comes first for me, so now they schedule my hours being careful that it does not interfer with my school. the work environment is always clean and organized, theres barely a time when we dont have enough of somehting to clean that or this, and the only problem we have had is that we didnt have paper towels.

basically i love working at forever 21, it's always so much fun,, theres always something to do, always people to engage with, and it's just an amazing place to work at. I remember my friends would tell me about people they knew who worked there, and they said that they would quit after the first day because according to them they felt like a slave and taht it was too much work, but honestly it's not even like that, the work is at times very long, but it's never hard, because i mean whats so hard about putting clothes back where they are suppose to be at in your section? theres nothing hard about it!

From Pittsburgh, pa — 01/05/2010

First, there are many positives as well as negatives in the world of retail. Personally, I like most of the customers, however, I do get a few that jumped out of the coo- coo nest (God help them). Same as the coworkers I have had the honor to walk with in their chapter of life. I love watching them grow into fine adults. And then there are those few that I watch and watch and they never become an adult. Pay is great, benefits are good, and getting better. I have been with the company long enough to see leggings twice as a trend, therefore security is great. I'm a teacher of treating people the way you would want to be treated. Let's face it, it is retail. When trying to balance work and life, it can be crazy during peek seasons. Everyone who shops should know this by now as a fore-warning. Lastly, if you love clothing, meeting new people, and are up to a challenge, Forever21 is in your future!

From atlanta ga — 10/17/2009

very hard to get fired. yes it is crappy retail job and just as crappy as you can imagine and boss manager will take advantage of you if you let them so don't let them. it is hard because wehn you up and leave on a shift you know you are screwing your coworkers but tell them to leave too. all retail jobs are like this and if you play the mediocre game because the boss isn't giving you what you need you can be fine.

From Dearborn, Michigan — 01/16/2009

Pay is min. wage which is fine for an entry level sales associate. Respect is pretty good at my store unless the district manager or higher come in. We have no benefits as part time which sucks because it would be nice to have an option to even purchase some. Job security is not good we have people fired all the time people are easily replaceable as a sales associate here. The work enviroment is pretty good too everyone gets along in my store for the most part theres no crap talking its a really okay place.