Working at Follett Library Resources — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Follett Library Resources pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Follett Library Resources

From McHenry — 02/13/2010

As a whole, this company is not the worst place I've ever worked. There is a lot of special treatment to (special) employees. One person may be fired for alcohol in system (which is only right) and the next not even tested because he is believed to be a valuable asset. Discrimination is not just religion or race, it's when a person or group of people are not given the same opportunities as another or put on a pedestal because he has skills that make him more valuable. The company has eto that can be used when available, which is great, but god forbid you or your child are really sick on a day that the allowed percentage off etos has already been reached.
In the processing dept. you need to make a certain rate to keep your job. While I think this is an okay way to judge performance, how can performance be rated on an unbalanced scale. Every time you pull a job to work on, its like pulling the handle on a slot machine. You never know what your going to get. While you are the one who has control over how you do that job, you do not control the points that it is given. If an employee pulls a job with a lot of mylar, the points do not justify the time it takes to do the work, yet if you are one of the lucky winners to pull a job that has security strips in it ( higher points and much easier to do), you can excel at your rate. Our job performance shouldn't be judged on a crap shoot. Time studies can easily be accomplished, but yet the company doesn't take this seriously, We are given meetings to voice our opinions, but is anyone really listening.

From McHenry — 02/07/2010

I have not had any problems personally. But the majority of people in management positions need schooling on professionalism and how to treat people. I have overheard supervisors talk badly about there people, to there peers, that is playing one agains't another. I have heard a supervisor say things like "that person is so stupid or dumb", and these people in charge are worried about what they are giving up for lent! Management needs to do the jobs in the warehouse to see what these people go through everyday. They have no idea what goes on.

From McHenry — 11/26/2009

I've worked here for 7 years... whether you love Follett or hate it; before you make a comment, you should read before you post to make sure you don't sound like an idiot; learn how to use proper grammar. Those of you who have gotten fired; you did something to deserve it. They don't fire people for no reason at all. If you don't like it leave and free up the spots for people who need a job.

From McHenry, IL — 08/02/2009

Wow - we must have attended different sales meetings! I found the Abbey to be a lovely resort that provided a backdrop of calm and relaxation. Seeing so many people out on the lawn mingling and playing games was great. Maybe you who posted the negatives about the meeting just sat in your room and didn't take the time to talk with other people and socialize. Too bad, I think you would have heard nothing but kudos for the resort, the location, the meals and the content of the meeting.

Complaints about not receiving a pay increase? Have you read a paper or watched the news lately?? We should be happy that we work for a company that is moving in a positive direction, and is striving to ensure that we remain strong and relevant. I am sure no one is thrilled with a pay cut or days off, put the fact remains that we are well paid, with good benefits and management who cares. I do think we are respected Ė if you donít feel that you are then perhaps you havenít truly earned the respect you feel you deserve.

Maybe you heard and read different information than I did. The company is not performing poorly Ė we are doing very well in a depressed economy with leaders who are continuing to position us for the future.

As far as posting comments about someoneís health Ė that was rather out of line, donít you think? I wish everyone who complained and posted here had the chutzpah to post their real names, and not hide behind the anonymity of this site. I am so tired of people whining about their jobs or their company Ė if you donít like it, then leave. Take your negative energy and go somewhere else. I think you will find then that FLR is a very good place to be.

By the way, we donít need you to pray for us, we need to have you do the best job you can every day.

From McHenry, Illinois — 12/08/2008

I believe that Follett needs to review it's overall structure. The management team is not aware of the issues that arise during daily activities. I understand it is not their job to know what goes on in every aspect of the job, but it is their reponsibility to ensure that their supervisors do. Each area is run differently. There is no unity between supervisors. One supervisor will discipline an employee for talking during the day, while another will completely ignore it (for example).

I believe that the supervisors need to have training on how to relate to their employees. The supervisors are very knowledgeable in what they do, but not how they convey that to the staff. There is no motivation given by the supervisors. The positive attitude must stem from them. It is difficult to go to work when even the supervisors won't say "Good Morning".

I believe that Follett tries to better itself, but they do not know where to begin. There are so many issues presented during the meetings that it is difficult to determine what to work on first. That's where I think the supervisor staff needs to step up and take ownership. They need to realize that change begins with them. If a warehouse worker presents an idea, thank them for it and follow up. Don't just tell them you'll look into it. Really acknowledge the time it took for them to think about a resolution to the problem and really look into it. Who knows, it may be the solution that everyone is looking for.

From McHenry — 10/18/2008

A lot of the negativity about Follett can be attributed to this last year and how many employees were practically worked to death. Seriously, 9 months + on mandatory OT, flaming hot customers, insensative sales people, constant number crunching, managers and above who don't lead by the best example, new associate after new associate trying to just keep up - who wouldn't be bothered. It's time now to move forward. The 'culture' will be established by the associates - not the Exec's. Many of these folks have chosen their corporate sell out path's and may feel bad for who they've become. The culture inititative is perhaps a way for these people to reconnect with who they once were. The type of people who made Follett what it is today. Who I still am. I will gladly park next to them in their luxury cars and proceed to my workstation and do a good job because of my own work ethic not because of a corporate inititive.

I am fortunate to have a secure job with good benefits in a clean environment that is close to home. To me this outweights the fact that my growth potential is limited (the only opportunties there are anymore are for the growing VP club)and my work/life balance is what I make it since FLR is slow to embrace this idea. There isn't a perfect company out there. Follett is a good place to work because my work is what I make of it.

From McHenry, IL — 10/17/2008

The negativity in Follett stems mostly from employees, not management. Instead of focusing on petty issues with such negativity and creating such a miserable work environment with attitudes why not attempt to focus on positive aspects of position and make a change in your attitudes to turn Follett into a wonderful place to be...or find another job? It's always easier to point a finger and find negatives than it is to state the obviously positive. I enjoy most of the people I interact with (and those I don't, I ignore..problem solved). Fairly clean workplace (most warehouses cannot compare to Follett), Airconditioned and plenty of fans for circulation, Freedom to roam to bathroom/cafeteria/vending machines WHENEVER (not just during breaks), independence to work at personal pace, freedom to accept and make phone calls during work hours (not just on breaks), plenty of paid vacation time, Flex hours are very convenient and accepted on short notice, Vueto, allowed to listen to headsets while working (not many companies allow this),option of sitting or standing while working, allowed to drink/snack while working, great insurance benefits and 401k/profit sharing.

As for the supervisors.....I wouldn't want their position. They are responsible for at least 60 people and that includes several moody, inconsiderate, rude, selfish, whiney, negative people who are always looking for ways to complicate supervisor's day...add that to problem orders, indecisive librarians who believe they are Follett's ONLY customer and other negative incompetent assosciates from other depts....on top of paperwork (including emails and time sheets)...I for one, give supervisors a big pat on the back! Imagine having nearly 1/2 of those people breathing down your neck or throwing temper tantrums and complaining about you during a full 8 hour day...every day...five days weekly! Wow! Different point of view, eh? Imagine that and think of how you would react? Put yourself in their shoes....possibly you might wish them a good morning or inquire how their day is going...and sometimes you might find a 'thank you' coming out of your mouths instead of a complaint. For a warehouse where we get paid to put STICKERS on books, we make out pretty good! Follett was built by it's employees, let's not take it down with negativity! When I go into a library that Follett has provided the processing I take pride in knowing that those books were processed by several of my coworkers that I enjoy working with!! Follett has provided me with an income to provide a home for my family, food to feed their growing bodies, health care to heal their med problems, paid vacation time to enjoy spending time with my family, an income to purchase christmas/birthday gifts for my family, and pride in knowing Follett had enough confidence in my abilities that they hired me and gave me the opportunity to be part of their team. It's all a matter of attitude!!

From McHenry, Illinois — 10/17/2008

I am disappointed as I read the postings on this website, and felt a responsibility to respond. The comments made do not represent my experience with the company, or my interactions with the individuals being unfairly crucified. To the contrary, those individuals are the people who work the hardest for FLR and for each of us.

The Senior Vice President is an individual who works more hours than anyone else I know in the building. She is usually is in at 6:30 am and rarely leaves before 7 pm. She is working for all of us in everything she does, and does not in any way deserve the unwarranted and malicious remarks being made about her.

Is this a perfect company? Of course not, no company is perfect. In my mind, however, we are doing everything possible to be the best company we can be. From the external sales people to the internal staff, we have hundreds and hundreds of hard working and dedicated employees - I see them in action every day.

If the individuals posting on this site are truly that unhappy, they have options available to them. They can redirect their negativity towards making positive changes that they feel would benefit the company, or they can choose to seek other employment.

Yes, FLR is going through a period of change, and change can be uncomfortable and takes time. People can chose to complain about the needed changes or be part of the solution Ė I plan to be part of the solution and would hope that others would spend their time in that way, rather than on a website of this nature.

From IL — 10/08/2008

it is amazing how people hiding behind their little keyboards will make up lies about all the hardworking people that work their butts off to keep all of us employed. The company would be even better if some of these whiny folks would leave.