Working at Fifth Third Bank — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Fifth Third Bank pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Fifth Third Bank

From Columbus, OH — 10/07/2010

Reading others reviews makes me question if I work at the same bank. Coming from 10 years at another company to Fifth Third with worries about job security, future growth, and being a new mother work/life balance I have found the company very favorable in all catagories. I work in retail banking and from what I have seen-yes the bank is focused on selling products that make sense for our customers but the result the bank is looking for is not only income but to build a solid connection with customers so that as a bank we are meeting all the potential financial needs for our customers. My experience has been that if you focus on taking care of your customers the sales follow. After reading the other reviews I tend to think that it is a group of people who either had a bad manager which does happen or more likely just didn't have the customer service skills to cut it in a people and sales focused environment. As for the comment that 5/3 pushes products when people need them, there have been several employees fired for exactly that, unethical selling.

From Cincinnati, Ohio — 07/26/2010

Fifth Third has a portfolio of extremely hard-working and talented individuals. To their detriment the commitments are excessive leaving employees with little to no work/life balance. Salaries are not competitive enough to warrant the added stress and extra work requirements. Raises are minimal at best, even with promotions. Hopefully the continued focus on employee engagement will help the decision-makers to see what a valuable resource they are losing due to poor pay and excessive work requirements.

From Cleveland — 03/09/2009

The pay at this company was ok, unless you start at the bottom and work your tail off to move to a higher position, then you just get that standard 2% increase even though you were promotion worth, or better yet, get promoted and get no increase, your just told that this promotion will look good on your resume! Those coming in the door in higher positions are compensated well. Co-Workers were great, upper management didn't even take notice of you unless you made a mistake. Benefits were ok, a bit expensive. NO job Security, every year employees were told that they were on the chopping block so you better PRODUCE (even if you were a top producer.) Work Life Balance OK unless in sales role. Retail Regional Managers worked 20hrs a day and were never given any credit for their efforts. Over all a ok place to work as long as you could sell more than humanly possible or kissed upper management butt.

From Grand Rapids, Michigan — 12/29/2008

I have been with Fifth Third Bank for over 10 years. The pay is typical "market peers". Nothing flashy or exciting there. Your idea's, thoughts, and opinions are always valued. The benefits are top notch, 100% matching on your 401(k), college tuition reimbursement, stock purchase discount, Free interest checking w/ no minimum balance, loan rate discount, mortgage closing costs waived, we get first bid's on lease turn ins or gently used vehicles at auction with discounts (thousands of dollars off blue book trade in), flexable work times, two weeks vacation upon hiring, 3 weeks after 5 years with the bank. Your health insurance is basically free because of profit sharing each on each check!! The list goes on and on. With hundreds of open postings(jobs) a secure job is always there as well as growth. Locations are great whether a banking center or operation center. Co-workers are smart and able to multi-task in this competitive financial environment. The work environment is typical office setting. All Human Resources rules are enforced and favoritism is basically extinct. I love Fifth Third Bank.

From Cincinnati, OH — 06/27/2006

As noted by others, the pay is below average. So is employee respect; turnover is high and training is poor. I work at the "Operations Center," where the phone agents, mail, filing, etc happens. There are many opportunities for career growth, if you do not mind changing jobs each time. 5/3 makes a decent attempt at a good work/life balance, if you are willing to buy into their corporate culture. Those who just want to work 40 hours and go home are usually left out.