Working at Fidelity Investments — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Fidelity Investments pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Fidelity Investments

From Marlborough, MA — 10/06/2010

A big layoff in some parts of Fidelity IT occurred October 5, 2010. Some groups got hit really bad. More than 38% of my group is gone. Suspect that the overall IT layoff numbers are in the range of 10 - 20%.

In the IT side of the house where I work, most managers are pretty poor. It's all about just getting things done, and many managers are pretty cut throat and deceitful. Lots of decent worker bees, though new ideas tend to be stifled. Very hard to move up career wise these days.

Good pay, decent benefits, not much else good about the place.

From Jacksonville — 09/25/2010

I work at the Jacksonville site. Either it's only pissed off people rating, or my site is simply great. Theres been few layoffs during the past rough financial times when compared to the industry. My managers have always let me do my thing without micro-managing. My co-workers are pleasant for the most part. There is tons of room for growth... seems everybody is getting promoted right now. They have great benefits, and they allow us a lot of time away from our normal routines to do special assignments. You just gotta show you care. It's not difficult. Step up to the plate and you'll be rewarded! Seriously.

From Jacksonville, FL — 01/18/2010

I have been with Fidelity over 5 yrs and plan to stay with the firm for at least another 5. The other reviews on here all seem to be from the few people who could not hack it anywhere in the financial services industry. During the last 5 years I have only seen 2 people get fired. Job security is second-to-none. No other financial firm coaches and coddles their employees like fidelity. 6 months+ to get the series 7 with several weeks of paid study time (85% pass rate as a firm), 100% inside sales, non-commissioned based sales structures with extremely low base-line goals and a stack ranked bonus pay-out structure. Sales bonuses based on 2 measures, quantity and quality so that everyone has the chance to get paid. Base salary around 35k starting, 45k for entry level sales, 60k for midlevel and 80k+ for upper level. Bonuses up to 20-30% percent of pay. Unlimited advancement opportunities. I have taken 5 promotions in my 5 yrs, but I have seen others move much further than that. With nearly unlimited OT opportunities starting off as a financial rep you could easily make 45-50k in your first year not including 10% profit sharing, tuition/computer/fitness reimbursment, 7% 401K match and greath health benefits. The bottom line: Fidelity is a great place to get started in financial services with very little pressure and all the time and training you need to eventually venture off on your own as indepent advisor.

From Midwest — 09/26/2009

Been here for a number of years, and have worked other places. Fidelity branches are the place to be. There are big goals, but no other firm will spoon feed leads the way Fido does. My biggest concern is how long they will continue to make us cram insurance down clients throats???

From Jacksonville — 08/31/2009

Everyone that is complaining is probably the reason I gave a -4 co-worker competency rating. If you don't give a crap and are happy with "service" then guess what...service it is. I work my butt off and I move up and get noticed. I have my finance degree, working on my CFP, have my 7,63. 66 and yeah I would love to make more. I may be at another company soon and for the meantime I wish Fidelity paid more, but instead of complaining how about work harder...don't be happy with coming to work and going through the motions and maybe you will move up and get recognized. I am sooooo far from a company man it is not even funny, but hearing everyone complain is annoying.

From Boston, ma — 07/09/2009

The pay was fair although the bonus was not clearly explained until my first cycle so I was disappointed. The senior management was horrible. I had worked in financial services for 20 years and never saw management behave like they did at Fidelity. Really treated people poorly and put people down. I was really surprised...these were mostly the lifers...the newer hired senior management were much better to deal with. At the end the environment was so toxic - people were literally in tears or scared to have any interaction with senior management. I luckily found another job and am so happy. I barely survived my tenure there.

From Boston — 01/20/2009

The company has grown fat and now that lay offs are occurring, they are letting go of the wrong people (very politically motivated). A lot of talent is being let go (good thing for other companies) while a lot of pretenders are being saved (because of their connections). Also, because there is a new group of Sr Mgt, they don't seem to be hoodwinked by their underlings.

From Merrimack — 12/11/2008

Great pay and lots of respect

From Merrimack, NH — 10/11/2008

I have been with Fidelity for two years now and I feel that it is a wonderful company to work with. The grounds are beautiful and I have developed some wonderful relationships. As a phone rep, I make way better money than I would expect to for the job we do. The unfortunate circumstance that I find my self in as a payroll rep is that I know I'm going to be let go, I just don't know WHEN.

There is plenty of growth potential, and though some think that you have to be attractive to get a promotion, the reality of the situation is that you actually have to have drive. Those that feel they can't advance because of their "looks" are the same that probably don't have a whole lot of work ethic; the people that are consistently give misinformation and have call avoidance. Sometimes I feel the people I work with are completely incompetent. These are also the same people who signed paperwork as a new hire agreeing to work mandatory OT during the busy times, and then complain that they have to work it. We all have kids and it's definitely frustrating to work 830am-8pm everyday of the week, but think about all that extra money. With the state of the economy, most people need it.

Bottom line is, regardless of your position, Fidelity offers great opportunities for people, with or without a college degree. They pay well and offer great employee benefits. Even if your upset about being laid off, you should consider the good things and all of the opportunities you had that maybe you didn't take advantage of.

From Raleigh, NC — 08/11/2008

I worked for Fidelity Investments for one year and three months. In the month that I was layed off, I received an exceed rating on my performance review and received a 22k bonus. I was also recommended for stock options that I could have recieved if I had not been layed off.

I joined Fidelity because of all the hype about growth in the Raleigh area! Joke! They hired and then fired based on bad management decisions about the number of people needed and about how the organization should be organized. As others have stated, the salary is good and the bonues are great, but too many short term decisions are made without thinking down the road.