Working at Fedex — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Fedex pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Fedex

From Milwaukee, WI — 07/06/2010

I worked for Fedex LTL. The place was a very good place to work at. The managers in charge was on top of everything nothing could go wrong he couldn't figure out. You basically rode forklift around moving skid truck to truck. They even would bring in treat if you did a good job. It was a very fun job
Pros
13.50 HR
Can ask off
Managers very good
Off weekends

Cons
Winter was cold outside
hours

From San Fransisco, CA — 05/07/2010

There are probably less stressful places to work - and as one of my coworkers once said "a job like this makes the idiots happy and the intelligent people insane" If you want job security and AMAZING benefits and can handle hard physical work and stress this is a great place to work.

HOWEVER. There's alot of pressure to finish on time regardless of short staffing at times. Injuries are dealt with so terribly that at times your own coworkers advise you that its sometimes easier to just work through an injury and I've seen several of my coworkers try to do just that. It's rough on the body, soul... and mind. But in this economy what else is there?

From CA — 02/13/2010

FedEx Ground hub Package Handler

1 When I asked the hiring manager what is the most important quality the best employees at FedEx should have she said drive. I started working harder at the gym as my first day approached.

2 I took the statement she said and live by it at work!

3 I receive a lot of praise and the respect is top-notch unless someone does not know your hard work. I was employee of the month during my first month. I interviewed for a manager position after 2 and a half months at another location. Did not get the job, but they called me saying it was a very tough decision.

4 My manager is a terrific mentor and is showing me more manager responsibilities every day. I did just graduate from college, so I realize it gives me a little bit of a leg up on others.

5 The hardest thing is getting others to do their best or at least work to standard. I love the team I work with. I feel like we have the best team in the hub.

My goal is to be that person that has a positive influence on everyone else.

From Indianapolis — 02/05/2010

Great place to work. Looking at all of these reviews, some people have way to much time on their hands. If you don't like it, find another job!! FedEx provides good pay for the work performed. Great benefits!! If people would just come to work, do their job and leave, then there wouldn't be alot of these problems. With any company that size, of course there are incompetent people and annoying co-workers, but you deal with it or leave.

From MEMPHIS — 01/12/2010

Iím working for a company that is so politically correct that it is almost impossible to get promoted by merit. This is not the company I came to work for ten years ago. Donít get me wrong FedEx is a great company It just has some issues when it comes to dealing with its employees in regards to its Guaranteed Fair Treatment policy. When someone does a good job and is loyal to a company He or She should have the opportunity to advance in that company and not be passed over by those who are placed in a position in order to fill a quota to ensure political correctness. Any person is qualified for a position should have the same opportunity as the next with No Bias provided they meet the qualifications for the job. FedEx is just another large company that is slowly forgetting about the hard working people that make each successful day possible if it wasnít for them. Those who are placed in positions for reasons other then being qualified would certainly fail. Iím not mad just disappointed.

From Pittsburgh, PA — 11/13/2009

I love my job at FedEx.

From Pocatello,Idaho — 09/05/2009

Pay is good for paycheck to paycheck living, for just a high school graduate; it will pay the bills. Respect is there if earned, if you can earn it. That would be up to the individual who deems it worthy of earning it. Benifits are great with affordable plans,deducted weelky. Job security, its certain; if your a driven individual, who can keep his or head to the grind stone, keep your nose clean, and most of all remember the golden rule, 'the Purple Promise" you and the company will have job security. Depending on you shift, you adjust. Career potential growth is easy. Just apply yourself and with the apprentice ship programs, you can do whatever you desire. You may have to reloacate to a diffrent center though. Location is within 30 miles of most every major city in the U.S. Co - worker competence,can be seen from the individual,or by others whose job it is to monitor these good employees. As an individual watching your fellow employees remember, your not perfect either,nor are the people watching the both of you perform day to day. As long as you buy into the purple promise and the "Golden Rule", things will work out. Overall the screening process dosen't weed out the bad apples. They are made from spoils and toils. You may encounter these workers who can make every possible situation miserable or delightfull. There work ethics may be questionable, but they won't be left unnoticed. You work as a team with diffrent goals, dreams, and personalities. Your managment team keeps up with your individual productivity;they then, answer to their bosses who look at your centers overall performance, and so on. So do your job , they will be trained every day, and so will you. Work enviroment is dusty, not good for contact lens, also very loud at times,and fast paced not for the faint at heart.

From Chicago — 09/02/2009

Pay: In this area, for us drivers, at least, FedEx is definitely lacking. UPS, Airborne/DHL, etc, are all paid far more than we are. Hopefully we go union in the near future and get a nice bump up in pay.

Respect: This depends on who your manager is, and how often you have to deal with other managers. For the most part i've been fortunate and had managers that are respectful. However, others have been extremely arrogant and/or disrespectful. When the economy started going down last year, our senior manager actually had to nerve to tell us that his job was secure, and that some of us might not be so lucky. He wasn't joking, either.

Benefits: Can't complain at all about them. I don't know how they stack up against what other companies offer, but i've never had any problems with doctors/dentists, etc.

Job security: Even in this tough economic climate, FedEx isn't laying people off, so i feel pretty safe, especially when you consider that they've never laid folks off the way UPS and others have.

Work/Life balance: Again, this can depend on who your manager is. Some will let you go right home once your route is done, which to me is the way it should be. Others, however, will expect you to stick around to pick up the slack of others -on a daily basis-. Sorry, but if i'm out there busting my ass for 8 or 9 hours to get all my work done, i shouldn't be forced to stick around for another hour or two to pick up the slack of a lazy-ass co-worker.

Career potential: It's either management or bust. If you're interested in a management position, they're available.

Location: My job is less than 10 minutes from my house, so its location is just about perfect to me.

Co-worker competence: Either you get lucky and have good people around you, or you don't, which means you're going to suffer. I'm lucky and have some damn good workers around me.

Work environment: Can't complain about this, either. My co-workers are a lot of fun, and we're always joking around and having a good time. Even the managers join in from time to time.

From carlsbad, ca — 03/21/2009

great job to work for fedex

From Grove City, Ohio — 09/26/2008

Pay: They pay a pretty darn good amount to start for your average entry level warehouse job; $11hr PT, average about 20-25hrs. Also, they now have yearly preformance raises, which they did not have when I started. This is a good place to work during college, IMO.

Respect: Well what would you expect? If you do your job, if you care, if you are willing to go beyond every now and then, the respect is awesome. If you are just there to collect a pay check, they will be cordial to you, but I would expect that any way. Your and idiot if you don't. Management is 90% pleasent and friendly.

Benefits: Actually, for PT work the package is pretty nice. No vacation until you reach FT, but you can have VTO (voulentary time off) usually. The best to me has to be the tuition assistance. As long as you can prove your going to school and have decent grades, you'll get up to $1,500 a year for nothing. Money in your pocket, just prove your status!

Job Securty: Um....as long as people buy junk online, and you are not lazy, you have a job! Wow, who knew right?

Life Balance: Decent. It depends on the manager. For students, they do understand the concept of education coming first, and they will generally, GENERALLY work with you within reason. The hours will vary depending on the shift your on, but always 4-5hrs a day Mon-Fri -or- Tues-Sat. Don't expect to get the shift you want right away unless you want 2nd and 3rd. People on 1st know they have it great and its hard as hell to get there!

Potential Growth: Very Positive for the company, it is growing more every year. As far as promotions go, well if the Hub keeps getting bigger, there will be more oppertunities. If you want any kind of management, you will need a degree or at least be in school for one at the time. There are positions to rotate around, but they pay the same.

Location: Who cares? Its a nice neighbor hood if that's what you mean..... its right off the free way.

Co-workers: Same as any job really. Some are great. Some are ok. Some are idiots. A lot of them are of somolia orgin, and with out going into a debate they tend to want something for nothing. Everyone else is basially a grab bag.

Environment: Pretty cool equipment to work with I'd say. It is safe, for the most part. REMEMBER, it is a warehouse, there is heavy equipment, use common sense, and you won't get hurt.

Over all, I like working here. I have gotten a lot from this job.