Working at Federal Mogul Corp. — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Federal Mogul Corp. pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Federal Mogul Corp.

From Southfield, MI — 01/20/2010

I worked at Federal-Mogul headquarters for 10 years and for the most part, was pretty happy with my working environment. Had a few crappy team leaders and managers over the years but overall, mgmt. pretty much left me alone to do my job. Like many companies, promotions were given to those young males that were chosen and groomed for managment positions. Once you saw a male newbie having lunch with a manager, you could be pretty certain they were going to be put on the fast track. Since I didn't have anything dangling between my legs, my chance of moving up was basically zero. If you are a woman and strive to move up the ladder, F-M is not for you.

Like most automotive suppliers, FM has made a lot of layoffs and unfortunately I was laid off in April, 2009. The vast majority of the people I saw let go were because they had a lot of time in, made good money and had acquired a lot of vacation time. Many of the people still working there call in sick at least twice a month, sit on the phone making personal calls or spend time surfing the web. It appears FM would rather have cheap crappy employees than keep skilled loyal ones. Anyone who ever said working hard and being loyal will get you places certainly never worked for Federal-Mogul.

Yeah, I'm bitter about being laid off and being marched out the door like a criminal, but it goes deeper than that. Now I'm faced with age discrimination and a collapsing wage structure. I can no longer think of building a retirement for myself since most open jobs are paying half of what I was making before. Retirement is now an unattainable dream since I'll never be able to make up the wages I've lost. I've also experienced interviews where HR personnel look disappointed that I'm not 25 and a size 5. Needless to say, I still haven't gotten a job as I write this.

FM didn't just lay me off, they distroyed my future. Somehow I don't think FM will be there when I'm old and sick and have no one to take care of me. Hey FM, I hope the bucks you saved by laying me off was worth it...I suspect they think it was!

From St. Louis MO — 08/28/2009

I like my job, my managers are cool and I don't see a reason why it's not possible to advance here. I'm sure there are corps with more perks and better pay, but in this economy, I'm definitely not complaining.
Job security is an issue, as it is with any manufacturing industry right now. I see some redundant positions, or lazing about by some just like at any job - so really, if you're not working, than you can expect to be cut especially since labor competition is so global these days in our industry.
There are a lot of locations in this company, so if you want to spread your wings, there is the possibility, albeit, better once the economy turns around.