Working at Federal Government - Canada — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Federal Government - Canada pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Federal Government - Canada

From Ontario — 03/21/2010

I used to work in private sector but got job with the Government.

I hate unions as I think their time is over but FORCED to join. ( they try to get you more money for doing less work) I complained about the Toronto garbage strike saying we should get just go show initiative and volunteer to drive the garbage trucks to pickup the waste piles at the drop off locations and challenge citizens to join in to help. Boy, I got an earful of worried staff telling me not to talk like that as union people would pounce on you)

Great pay and benefits are only reason I am staying and pension.

I was gung ho when I started but coached to slow down and take it easy. It was very frustrating coming from private sector where we moved fast and got alot done.

Now we are in endless meetings it seems. Mgt doesnt know what they are doing. I googled our project and find we are duplicating efforts of other departments throughout Canada. Very weird that there is no uber-coordinator.
If this was a business we would be out of business in a week.
People move slow. Watch the hallways and people are going for coffee all the time and walking sooo slow.

I dont look forward to work.

Lunch time and break time is a bunch of lazy ass people who are spoiled yet constantly complaining that they want more and more and never happy. ie. they want to use their unused sick days to add to their weeks holidays and how they want to work the system to get all this overtime pay.

I was shocked at this attitude and since I have been in private sector it irks me still. An admin assistant for one of the managers makes $80,000 here and very relaxed work where she would make $45k-50k in private sector I would guess.

I am itching to get out purely because I feel guilty I am making all this money and not doing much and fear i will be assimilated into the drones who have security and play political games within.

Dont get me wrong. Some are good people and I like alot of them personally. It's just that the system is disfunctional.
Government needs to be redesigned from fresh and run like a business. Employees are in the customer service business - taxpayers are the customers. Making the country a great place to live and sustainable activities to save our environment should be the focus.

Have a great idea! It will get shot down. "We dont want to step on toes of other departments."
Have ways to save money? I thought i was being a hero finding ways to save our dept $250k but I was shunned by the manager and told " No, you have to find ways to spend the money in your budget, or we wont get an increase next year."
Want to do some real good that will impact climate change? "No there is no way to measure it, even though it makes sense. We have to study it more. But do this other project and that will make us look good, even though it wont do nearly as much as your idea."

I rated HIGH on pay, security and location as building is close to home and great facilities and benefits.
I rated LOW in coworker competence as 50% of coworkers dont know what they are doing or are caught in the bureaucracy loop. Some, like me, are passionate about making the country a better place and save the environment, but we hit walls along the way.

What is needed? An entrepreneur as a manager. Less meetings and only meetings with action steps.
Less measurement and more action!

Stop looking good and focus on doing good.

I will use my holidays owning and benefits to get all my teeth done and then leave for private sector I think.

A criminal investigation should be made against the government for the misuse of public funds and wasted energies.
Fire half the staff and reduce the roadblocks and more will get done saving 50% of the budget.

From Toronto, ON — 02/13/2008

The pay in government is great, until you reach around $70,000 - after that you'd certainly be making more in the private sector for a position with equivalent responsibility/experience. The level of respect between colleagues is good, but less so from the public. Verbal abuse from the public is common and physical abuse (if one is working on the front lines) happens occasionally. The benefits, especially for those with families, are excellent, although contributions toward your pension are high. Depending on the department or agency you work in and your status (temporary, indeterminate etc.), job security varies. Up to a certain level, the work/life balance is good. Managers are expected to and do work significant overtime. The potential for career advancement depends on your willingness to go through the lengthy competition process. It's worth it if you learn to be patient. Competence among co-workers is generally high. Fellow co-workers demonstrate a commitment to their jobs, and seem happy in what they do. Work environment is very supportive, though much depends on the tone set by the individual manager and the department/agency's culture. Smaller departments/agencies may lack the resources of larger ones, but the overall environment is more supportive.

From Ottawa, ON — 08/02/2006

The pay and benefits are good, however, once you max out, you max out! There is no way you will get a raise unless you get promoted to manager, and there lies the problem… Most of the managers have no management skills. They are politician wannabees with no vision and no communication abilities. They love to hand out work to their subordinates and take credit for everything. To prove their importance, they create process and generate an incredible amount of paperwork for useless things. I recently made a requisite for a non-standard software package, found a less expensive quote once the paper work was already “in motion”, and generated 4 times the amount of expenditure in paperwork and people/hours to get the paperwork changed and the software at the lower quoted price. I would’ve actually saved money if I didn’t try to save money…does that make sense?