Working at Federal Aviation Administration — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Federal Aviation Administration pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Federal Aviation Administration

From Dallas, TX — 11/02/2009

Nothing better.

From Virginia — 03/30/2009

I worked for the FAA for 10.5 years and loved it. I left for another agency last year and found the FAA was far better than I ever gave them credit for. I would return in a heartbeat as I truly hate the agency I'm working for now even though I ditched my commute. I could rank the FAA higher than what I did had I worked in an office that (1) didn't enforce Core Comp (I lost $10-14k a year under that payband system); and (2) allowed some telecommuting opportunity. I tend to agree with the rest about management, although I had a terrific manager myself.

From DC — 08/20/2008

I worked in DC for awhile, and overall I had a decent experience. I thought the pay and benefits were great, but it was a very stressful job, which created some bad vibes amongst the people i worked with. The hours weren't great, but I was able to deal with it.

From Orange County CA — 04/28/2008

I am an Air Traffic Controller for the FAA and the pay (even though it's being cut) is awesome. I can't make anything near it anywhere else with my skills. I rated the location a -5 because although I LOVE where I am now, the FAA doesn't care where you want to work and they will put you anywhere they want. I know because they put me 1000 miles away in the middle of nowhere and the impossible occured when I got to where I am now. Transfers are almost impossible to come by and if you move you will go into the new payband which is about a $40,000 pay cut.

Co-worker competence: We work airplanes so there really isn't room for error. That being said everyone is pretty competent except for managers. The people that can't control airplanes end up being managers and that's just a bad combination.

Work environment: Horrible. It hasn't always been horrible, it was great prior to 2006. They overrode our union and imposed work rules on us that decreased morale to its lowest. Pay cuts, dress code (I don't care about the dress code but in addition to everything else when we don't see anybody it sucks), imposed schedule changes at the last minute that you can't say no to or your fired. Overtime that you can't say no to. Can't leave for lunch even if it's 20 feet away. If you say the wrong words and it's a grammatical error you could be severely punished (one case of this is when a controller omitted the word "be")

Career Potential: the sky seems like the limit if you do the right things.

I love my job and I love talking to airplanes. They have just made it such a harsh environment with a ton of negativity and complaining. I try not to complain because I am thankful to have such a good job as far as pay, security and benefits. I pretty much don't care about what happens at work as long as it doesn't affect my home life. The schedules on the other hand affects my home life.

From Des Plaines, IL — 05/11/2006

The pay is good I can't complain. As for respect I don't think Management respect their employees or even lesson to our concerns mostly do to lack of employee. The workload is overwhelming the employees. Everyone you talk to complains about the workload which is mostly due to lack of hiring new employees for the that leave the agency for one reason or another. The benefits are good but health premiuns are rising to much. Job security it out the window due to the reorganization. Currently I don't have a problem in this area. In the ANI organization there is no career potential for me. Location of R.O. is great can't complain. Co-workers compentence is bad to many people don't care about there job or impact on follow employee or organization. Wrok Environment could be better its either to hot or to code.

From Chicago, IL — 05/10/2006

Actually Love the job, but wish that I could count on the Agency to actually keep us all around. Plus I hate working in Chicago.