Working at Fastenal — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Fastenal pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Fastenal

From Southeast — 09/29/2010

Let me first say that I have been with the company for almost 10 years. I have been challenged all along the way and struggled at times.

This company is not for a lot of people. If you want to punch a clock, get paid the same no matter how hard you work and leave it all at the office at the end of the day find somewhere else to work, this is not the enviroment for you.

If you want to learn the details of running a business from the bottom up, and get paid more than you are probably worth while learning, I cannot think of a better learning enviroment.

I see all the negative reviews on this site, and while I can attest firsthand that there are personnel issues within the district and regional chains of command, for the most part District Managers and RVP's want their people to be successful and are willing to assist when and where they can. If you are a store manager with 3 years on the team and you cannot effectively analyze your stores numbers and make decisions about your margin, actives, freight, etc, then you deserve to be micromanaged,,, actually we would be doing you a favor by terminating your employment and giving you a jumpstart on finding a career that you would be better suited to, however with the school of business and all of the training that is available, termination is usually reserved for those that commit crimes, steal, etc.

This company has always given me an opportunity to succede. Over the years there has been quite a cast of employees that have come and gone in the stores and districts that I worked in. I read the comments on this website from people who have been fired or layed off, and everyone complains,, you all talk about how bad it was... yet you stayed around for 2-3-4-5 years. Why would anyone stay in a bad job for 5 years. Probably because you already know that you yourself are incompetent and are not deserving of a better position with another company??? Just saying.

From Somewhere, USA — 09/16/2010

This I an actual email from a Fastenal DM. Way to get behind your people and say something that might actually motivate them.

Why cant we sell bounty???????? Do we have any good sales people??? If your
under 50% of goal you ARE FAILING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  JUST BRING THE FLYER OUT
AND ASK FOR AN ORDER!!! COME ON!!!!!!

From NC — 07/25/2010

I started out Part Time Support in '08. I took the job only because the job I was working at was in-home sales and mostly at night. During the day I would just spend money on pointless things and needed to stay busy so I could drum up some savings. I had no intention of making a career out of this as I was doing well in my full-time job. When the opportunity came about, I weighed my options and decided to take less money and take the OSP position that was offered and do the in-home sales part-time. After 3 months at OSP, I decided it was time to actually start seeing customers and caring about hitting the goals set before me. 5 months in, I had set up 2 customers that quickly went into the Top 10 of a $175k branch. I had 2 months in a row that I did not hit goal. Never once did anyone start breathing down my neck about me being fired. So I kept doing what I knew had to be done and I started seeing improvement in my numbers. Numbers are very important in any sales company so I am not sure why anyone is bitching about why this is all Fastenal cares about. After 1 year at OSP, the manager decided to transfer so I had an opportunity to move up once again. Now I am the GM and I am able to run the branch like I own it. We have lost a few accounts including our largest account, so we are a 80-95k branch now. With commissions being as much as my salary so I have no reason to complain about pay. My crew is properly trained, much better than our competitors. We all now what we have to do so there is no hassle in getting things done. I am not saying this is the best place to work. It does suck to have a cell phone going off at 9 am on a Saturday because somebody needs something but when you tell them you are not coming unless they are spending serious cash and they do, it makes it worth the while. There is a lot of negativity on this site, but from what I am reading, it is a bunch of lazy ass people that are only there for a paycheck and no drive to do something great for the people they work for. I respect my DM and my RVP, they support every decision I make and show me the same respect. If you are reading this to determine your decision of joining Fastenal, it is not a bad place to have a career as long as you are willing to put forth the effort to be the best rep a customer has ever met.

From Southeast — 06/04/2010

I started out part time early last year after being in Iraq with the service. The store manager I was working for was a good sales person, but not very willing to take the time to train me. The DM asked me to train in another store so I made the 25 mile commute for about 4 months. We just opened a new store in Feb and I got promoted to GM! My base is good, benefits are awesome and my commission check this last month was more then I expected.

It is sad to read so many negative comments on this website by so many pissed off people. This company has NO room for any screw ups of dishonest behavior, but all that I have found is that hard work and training will get you where you want to go.

From Scranton PA — 04/28/2010

Fastenal is a strong Company with good leadership and tons of opportunities!

From Minnesota — 04/21/2010

Seems like their are a lot of passionate people on this board, I can appreciate everyones view point and the fact that they are willing to share their personal experience... Here is my opinion for what its worth.
I started at Fastenal when I was seventeen, had an opportunity to work at the manufacturing division around some descent people, I had worked hard throughout college and when I was done I had opportunities present themselves to me... I held four solid positions while with the company and made a descent living however every position I had they told me I made too much money and had to adjust my commission, which is ultimatly why I left. It was fun, we worked hard and at the same time met a lot of good people that just wanted to do better for their families. I learned a lot and gained a ton of experience from them which is great for me because it opened up other opportunities. Now I have an opportunity to sell in the industry and earn a great living for my efforts. Good luck and happy selling!

From midwest — 04/21/2010

great company for those that want earn what they get.....for those that post negative comments most of you are cowards and if you had any backbone at all you would go and face the people you call out on this or any blog. You quit because you gave up, because it got a little too tough.........I bet your parents are proud of what you turned out to be and how tenacious you are..........is everrything perfect, no. there are days i get frustrated but I stick with it and push for change. So when you really break it down there are 352 neg reviews, many from part timer or college kids with unrealistic expectations, and many reviews are from the same person. So...out of 12,000 employees we have a couple hundred bad hires.

From St.Louis, MI — 04/18/2010

Fastenal is an experience I will never forget. From learning how to cold call to making a $10,000 sale. If you got it in you to sell everyday, this is a great company for you. The problem is job security. Just like sports, salesmen can go into a slump. Whether it be your #1 customer just filed Ch.13 or no body is buying anything. Fastenal doesn't want to hear your excuses. The only thing I have to say about job security is it doesn't matter what you did six months ago, its all about this month. The pay does suck. With the hours and the calculator they use to figure your pay, you make about 15-16 p/hr. Great potential for you to grow with the company if you land some key accounts because Fastenal goes through GM's and DM's like crazy. I saw guys with 10-13 yrs. cut like nothing because the VP had a bad day. Learn the business and get out.

From hawaii — 04/12/2010

Hey man, I have read all 3hate comments about fastenal, I agree with them, and still love to work for them. They may not be perfect, but I have the drive to make it work for me. I have been laid off from fastenal, came back after a couple years, put in my dues, didn't complain, and now they have moved me to Hawaii where I am currently running a warehouse that supplies all of Hawaii and Guam. So again, I sympathies with the guys that hate fastenal. BUT, this
is a company that requires you to have tough skin, and not everybody is capable of handling/accepting it. Not everybody likes this job, but it's MY job, and I make the best of it!!

From Bradley, IL — 03/23/2010

I worked for Fastenal for about 4 years and found it to be overall a good experience. I was given great training and experience that I could get nowhere else. Yes, they have their "bad seeds", but all large corporations do. The thing is to get in and want to work "Hard" to get somewhere. If you are looking for someone to tell you what to do, this is not the job for you. If you are willing to push yourself harder than ever before and really start a career, this is your chance. If I can give a piece of advice. Get in and get trained then leave for something better. I am currently the National Sales Director of Canada, US, and Mexico for a large machinery company from Germany. I am in charge of a 2.5 million plus business, and I owe it all to the experience I got from Fastenal. Thanks goes out to Kirk T. and Randy M. my D.M. and R.V.P. in IHUB. I will always remember cutting my teeth on the ol' Big Blue.