Work at Farmers Insurance Group — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Farmers Insurance Group pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Farmers Insurance Group

From midwest — 11/01/2009

Pay...As everybody would I would always like to makw more but I do not feel my pay is unfair. You always here rumors thar other major insurers pay more but I have yet to see any proof of that. From friends that aldo work in the insurance industry I do not find it to be true that other companys pay that much better.

Respect...I have never felt a lack of respect from management. I started with FIG right out of college and have worked to become s supervisor. I have never felt a lack of respect wgile I was a CR or supervisor.

Benefits...I am not happy with out current benefits package and I belive that most employees would prefer to go back to the days of an HMO. Unfortunately with the current situation in our country that is not a realistic option. I am not satidfied with out benefits but in talking to many others our benefits are better than average. Things could be a lot worse.

Job Security...Claims is not for everybody. If you come to work everyday and workI do not feel job security would be a concern. If you want everything to be perfect everyday and to have everything handed to you, you are in the wrong position. I am not a huge fan of the higher standards model, but the logic behind it is good. Why would any company reward an employee for being mediocre.

Work Life Balance...I have chosen to accept a position that is an exempt position. Knowing that I accept that i cannot alwats work a 40 hour week. There are times when I need to work from home but I accept this as part of a professional position.

Location...I chose where I work and where I live. If a person is unhappy with the location of ther job they have no one to blame but themselves.

Co-Worker Competence...As in any job you have the good and the bad. Overall most emplyees are competent.

Work Enviroment...I work in a modern climate controlled building or car, I have no complaints.

From KS — 10/08/2009

The ratings system this year has come down to production as the primary determination of where you will rank - customer service and quality only marginally matter. All this does is reward those who are very fast (but may not have the best quality) and dis-incentivises those who are better at quality than speed.

I was extremely disappointed with the company with some of the changes with the Total Rewards benefits program. The retirement program used to give up to 15%(plus up to 5% cash) of one's income to all employees based on the companies overall performance. Now, they're giving more to those at the top and less to those at the bottom. Management gets 20% or more; while non-management gets 10% or less depending on how low your salary grade goes. Why the manager making $100k now gets $20k instead of $15k, while the CSA making $25k now gets $2,500 vs $3,700 is just a complete travesty to me. (note: I'm not concerned about my own salary as I'm a higher SG than a CSA).

This past year, there have been all kinds of tightening going on with property claims - insured's are definitely getting paid less. If I had a claim of any substantial value or one where I experience serious problems with Farmers, I would likely be hiring a PA.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about the company - I've had some very good experiences in the dept's I've been in and some very bad ones. Corporate BS definitely abounds, but I think that's the case at most insurance companies.

From OKC, OK — 09/11/2009

I'm a happy 9 year employee of Farmers!

From northridge, CA/USA — 09/08/2009

Company going through changes

From MN — 09/02/2009

Hello,
My score my seem high but I come from a different perspective. I am an agent. We deal with very different things than you do. I love my office mates, I love my location (near my home) and my income, so far if my PIF doesnt keep falling, is paying the bills. Im a large enough agent to not work nights anymore and get my appts done during the day so my work/life balance is OK. As a new agent you work your ass off. Im under the old contract with the old quotas but the new contract is a scam!! go to www.ufaa.com to see it,..I believe its there.

I found this site and have been reading the posts on here and it's been quite educating. I knew things at the service center were screwed up since we deal with them all day long. I deal with Austin and I know all of the agents here in MN hate calling. If we dont like the answer we got, we hang up and call back. We know that the people there arent trained adequately so its very frustrating when we depend on getting the correct answer. Im calling because I need clarification on the policy language or how to write something correctly. What you guys dont realize is that we deal with people's lives and families. People's homes who have burned to the ground and that tornados have destroyed. THey look to US as experts on what to do. To get someone in Austin to "tell them the wrong answer but be confident" is simply unacceptable!!!! I was HORRIFIED to read that!!!

I admit, I have hung up on a CSR lately because our gray world didnt fit in their black and white little box. They arent given the authority to think for themselves as to what is logical and the right thing to do. We are so busy with getting "signed requests from insureds" that we cant sell insurance which is what helps keep this company alive that it pisses us all off! The paperwork we have to do by scanning things in, take photos and scan those in, make a service request only to have it denied when the correct information is there is so awful. Ive now asked CSR"s to prove it to me when they give me an answer I dont believe is right. I ask for the breaking bullitin. Most of the time they cant or if they do it never pertains to the situation Im calling about. Ive called a lot of them on the carpet for it and they still wont budge on what needs to be done. Its ascinine!!!

We are in Sales. We deal with People. Its hard enough to get people to guy a product and then to have to go get them to do more work by getting additional documentation or sign this or that is stupid at best. We should be able to sell insurance, underwrite the product without being harassed for additional documentation.

We are now asked to take photos of homes that are ALREADY BEING INSPECTED BY AN OUTSIDE VENDOR!! Why does this make sense? why do we need to upload them to the Image center when somone is already doing this? The only benefit is that I get to write more miles off on my taxes.

The largest part of my day is fighting "concurrent transactions" on the Slow Dashboard, calling Austin and have them give me wrong info (now I know that they know nothing about insurance or the system), and saving business because our rates are so f'ing high. It used to be fun to sell insurance because I was helping families protect themselves with higher limits, more coverage in other areas and add products they didnt have to better serve them. Now I feel guilty selling the shit after I find out how this company is run and I STILL get to deal with the Austin service center on issues. FUN!!

You may be in a cube farm with supevisors but have customers who trusted you and loved you and had you in their home at their kitchen table call you and say "Farmers has been raping me!! What in the hell are you doing over there??" (in regards to rate) that is an awful feeling to do to someone that you have a personal relationship with. My clients are like friends/family to me. People buy from me because of ME and when they feel robbed by my company they turn to me to fix it and when I cant they blame me in a way because I am the face of Farmers to them.
We all have our own issues with the company, I understand. Im suprised other agents havent posted on here. As I stated, It has been worthwhile to read what your lives are like. As far as claims go, My clients have been very happy with the process and outcomes so thank you claims dept! At least here in MN I have been happy and have called our BCO myself with questions on policy clarifications and it has been great.

Love to hear your comments :)

From oklaoma — 04/27/2009

Pay - I have no idea if this is within the industry norm....I only know that I feel I am fairly compensated for what I do.

Respect - I have always been able to express myself freely and felt respected by my co-workers and management. There seems to be a lack of respect only for those who don't stand up for themselves.

Benefits - The benefits are much worse than ever before...however, even given this decrease to Total Rewards, the benefits are still much better than what is offered at most other jobs.

Job Security - If you are willing to assert yourself, take risks and put yourself out there, there is always job security.

Work/Life Balance - There are always challenges to balancing work and personal life. It is up to each individual to find that balance. Farmers will accomodate if you if you are willing to accomodate them.

Carer Potential/Growth - Amazing. If you are willing to relocate, then the sky is the limit. Even if you are not willing to relocate, patience is key.

Location - How many companies let you work from home?

Co-Worker Compentence - There are idiots everywhere...because Farmers is dedicated to weeding out poor performers, co-worker competence is high

Work Environment - This is the best group of employees I have ever worked with. Co-workers and management included.

From Overland Park, KS — 03/20/2009

I work for Foremost, a division of Farmers and part of the call center customer service as opposed to claims. I am looking to get into claims though, and actually originally came here to read up on progressive as looking at a claims position with them.

I have been treated very well at Foremost, they love me because I have a degree, show up to work and keep to the phone aux system well and have said that I can go far with the company (I think I'm too old to go too far, but this company definately does not age discriminate - I had an almost 20 year out of the workforce period due to raising family). I think perhaps true I could go far - maybe not THE top - but have a decent career. Still, it isn't instant or free.

Pay --- for the work I think it could be better, I have received pay raises at 6 mos and 1 year, smaller than I had hoped for... but I started higher than others for previous customer service experience and having my bachelors degree. I did have my first bonus and will have my first and (only?) profit sharing soon. Definately could be worse pay and work (my previous work doing customer service for a cable provider).

Respect --- I have always been treated very well. Not seen anyone treated badly, not in a public way at least. They say wonderful things about me in reviews, I feel bad when I think I might have to look around to other possibilities for more money or a closer to home drive.

Benefits --- a bit disappointed in the changes (Total Rewards) and I believe some to the benefit of the organization over people. But the company isn't AIG'ing, so they appear to be more stable and job secure.

Job Security --- I'm one of those over-achievers in most areas, so I feel secure for myself. Been some consolidation and moving of people from other departments so not sure all there feel secure.

Work Life Balance --- really almost not an issue with this as was a straight 37.75 (now 40 hours) a week job. Only issue in that if you need the time off same day a problem unless it is an emergency/urgent.

Career Potential/Growth --- I earned a better shift first shift bid and hope to find a job in claims, within or outside the company. They are paying for me to take tests and even paid me for passing tests. Encouraging me to do an MBA, etc.

Location --- a long commute for me but a nice area. I might look at relocating and there seem to be opportunities in various parts of the country.

Co-worker competence --- average to above average. Some below average people who work hard and are probably better than the brighter people who are disgruntled at times. There was more turnover than I expected and that was a question I had when I interviewed. But compared to prior csr work where we lost 35 of 45 in 3 months this was not quite such a bleed off.

Work Environment --- clean, cubicles and overall cozy (due to the people). The Farmers service point seemed a bit sterile times I have been there bigger and I don't know the people - just a walk thru a couple of times. People at Foremost are friendly and most know many by name. There are days the being chained to the phone (aux code clock) is a pain. I can be sitting there and forget to aux in on time, it is a bit annoying and I know one lady who quit because of that stress and felt we were treated like children (don't be tardy for preshift, don't have too many unexcused absences sounds like high school). There is one script we're supposed to do that makes me want to shoot myself because it is so ridiculously legal jargon and long.

I purchased the full-monty of Farmers insurance -house,life,autos. Think I am paying more even with the employee discount but I am better insured and have learned a lot at this job can carry with me if I do leave or use to advance if I stay.

From Chicago Property BCO — 01/21/2009

My honest opinion:

Pay: Average

Respect: They will not hesitate to fire you. There is another college grad right around the corner to replace you and post low scores just like you, that is until they get fired. The Chicago BCO is full of fear, Don Eitel may be the first Farmer's manager in history to get all of their adjusters to quit.

Benefits: Slightly above average

Job Security: Non existent, I have overheard supervisors and management divising plans to build a case to fire someone. They do it right out in the open (a.k.a. fear). Where does that fit into the "norms and values." I have seen managment fire an adjuster with less than one year of experience due to low file scores. To me thats the same as refusing chemo to a cancer patient after three weeks because their condition is not improving enough.

Work/Life Balance: It goes up and down. That is just the nature of the beast. I accept it.

Career Potential/Growth: If you are in it for the long haul and have good people around you there are many paths. This is obviously true with most large companies.

Location: For the most part this is a real plus for field adjusters.

Co-Worker Competence: Management seem to hire good people from what I have experienced. They just seem to fire them or scare them off too quickly.

Work Environment: The office can be a great place that is unless D. Eitel is roaming the aisles challenging peoples conversations.

From Ofallon, IL — 01/20/2009

If anyone wants to join this company or know a bit about it. I would tell you never to join this company. Cus time is money and this company sure is a waste of that. When I came for the job interview my boss said I will be making a lot of money, but now I know that it looks like I am working for free. LET ME REPHRASE it to you: Time is money, and this company is a waste of it :(

From Colorado Springs — 11/23/2008

I would have to agree that Farmers is not as employee freindly or as "like family" as it was even 5, or especially, 15 years ago. I certainly lament the loss of Profit Sharing and agree that the replacement program is probably just equal to what other companies have, nothing special.

But, and there is always a but. Have you looked on this site for the worst rated employers? Looks like Progressive and Nationwide are even worst, and State Farm employees vents are almost identical to Farmers!

Note: I have never worked in Claims.....and I never will under this Upper Management....Paul, are you blind? there has to be a better way to run the Claims Division, 10,000 p.o.'d employees venting in the minus 5's can't be all wrong or just lazy.