Working at Farmers Insurance Group — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Farmers Insurance Group pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Farmers Insurance Group

From Milwaukee, WI — 05/17/2010

I understand that most people speak up only when they have something negative to say, however I think it is important that people speak up when there is something great as well. (For exampe, thanking and ackowledging those who go out of their way to make each day better by putting extra effort in their roles, whatever they are).
I understand that being an agent is tough and is not for everyone, and as a large organization Farmers has many employees (in all roles) who decide Farmers Group, a major corporation is not the best fit. I have been with this company for quite some time and have been very happy with the training, promotional opportunities and my co-workers. Like any company there are some things I would change, but overall I believe that management cares and listens to the staff. I would tell any of my family or friends to work for Farmers Group because we are growing and take care of our employees.

From Minnesota — 05/06/2010

I have been a career agent with Farmers for over 1 year. It has been great so far. I am shocked at how negative everyone is. I can only comment as an agent but when I started I got great training (almost too much). The training was scheduled weekly for the most part and there were people around always willing to lend a hand. I received tons of leads through the district office. Other than paying out a bit of money for networking groups, I haven't spent a dime. I am just now looking to open my own office which makes me a bit nervous but with what I have made in commission and subsidy (very little I have to pay back) it shouldn't be a big deal. Honestly, I have always wanted to run a business. Yes it has been very stressful at times and some very long hours but I know that in a few more years, I will be able to set my own hours and provide a great income for my family. I am just very surprised at some of the people on here talking about how they didn't hit their numbers and were forced out. The numbers were so easy. Sure there were a couple tough months here and there but overall, I almost doubled the minimum requirement each quarter. I guess some people just take to certain careers more than others.

From California — 04/16/2010

I've always felt my attitude, morale and work product was my responsibility. I don't let anyone or any company take away that power. That being said, there is a lot to like about Farmers. I'm able to dive in to work and know at the end of the day that I did my best.

From CO — 03/21/2010

Quit bitching and be happy you have a job. Pay is more than it should be for the work that we put in. A monkey could do most of the jobs that these people are complaining about. I've worked in three different states and on the CAT team and couldn't have been more happy in each position. There's always room to grow or travel and you probably aren't complaining about benefits when you get that huge bonus at the end of the year. Not to mention profit sharing day. It could always be worse like if you worked for Progressive where it's impossible to pay for anything.

From Yakima, WA — 03/18/2010

I like my job. Shoot, in this economy, I'm just glad I have a job!

From St Louis,MO — 03/04/2010

I am an agency owner with Farmers Insurance and becoming an agent in 2004 was by far the best career decision I have made for me and my famliy. In order to be a succesful agency owner with any company in the insurance industry hard work and sacrifice is required in the early stages of your career. This can only be acheived by you and for those agents that have commented about Farmers products being out of market let me just say that all insurance companies face challenges but Farmers has so many products to offer that I know you are just making EXCUSES and blaming Farmers for your lack of discipline.
Some of the best claims reps in my area are clients of mine and they talk about how much they love working for Farmers and what a great career it has been for them. I work closely with the MO state office and most of those people are where they are in their career because they worked hard and instead of complaining looked for the next best thing to advance their career. For those who want to sit at their desk and submit complaints about Farmers while they are being paid by Farmers I would say that you should go elsewhere, the problem is not the company or management...it is YOU! and people like YOU. The potential in Farmers is proven by the do-ers year after year from agents, claims, servicepoint, helppoint, FNWL, state offices and the home office. In fact our last CEO started with Farmers as an entry level claims rep, then an agent and worked his way to become the CEO and now is a high level manager at one of the largest international insurance companies in the world.
Those who want to sit at the bottom and always complain, have fun at the bottom.
Those who want to do well for themselves and their families should consider working with and for one of the best insurance companies, Farmers Insurance.

From Olathe, KS — 02/03/2010

Farmers is a great place to work for if you're in the HelpPoint. The job security is there (we don't have to worry about lay offs in a time when many other companies do). Until September 2009 I would have rated the work/life balance a 5 because the hours are INSANELY flexible (you have to be there by 12:30, can't leave before 6:30 and must take a lunch between 45 mins and 2 hours if you work more than 6 hrs). In September Bristol West came out and we all started working crazy amounts of overtime. It's nice because the pay is great, but tit has affected the work/life balance.
If you work in the HelpPoint and you're not able to make the numbers then maybe this job is not for you. It is an extremely detail-oriented job, but if you're smart and you work hard, you'll succeed. I rate the career growth as 5 because we're opening approximately 300 positions in the next 6 months, so if you want to move up and you're successful, you can.
I'm certainly no "golden child" at work, I'm pretty quiet and I mind my own business. Never-the-less, I feel like our goals are clear and attainable.
I think several of the bitter reviews (honestly) come from people whose company has been taken over by Farmers. Lets be honest, your claims filing standards were sub par (at best), especially if you're coming from Bristol West. I get that Farmers might be hard for you, but you need to figure out that the way you did things before was about 10 years behind technology.

From LASC — 01/29/2010

Joseph Wender is a Pussy.
His lovely wife has bigger balls.

From OKC, OK — 11/18/2009

Pay - Extremely competitive for the OKC market. Raises are also far and above what most companies in this market are giving.

Respect - I have the authority to do my job and the only time I am trumped is if I allow an escalation to get above me. I really am allowed to treat my team like it's my own business.

Benefits - These have taken a real hit over the last two years. This would be the only reason I could see myself leaving this company, but the new company would have to really blow these away.

Job Security - I feel my job is very secure as long as I perform. And as long as you work hard you can prosper. It is a values based, performance driven environment, so you are expected to perform. I have no problem with that.

Work/Life Balance - Absolutely no complaints. I have worked salaried jobs for half the pay that required regular, 50 hour work weeks. Still have friends that do. Here I work 40 and have doubled my salary.

Career Potential/Growth - Great. There is mega potential, especially if you are mobile and have a good attitude.

Location - The current HP is in a horrible location, but we are getting a new one built custom for us. It will be ready mid 2010 and is in a fantastic location. What other employer is building new, custom buildings in this environment?

Co Worker Competence - I work with great people, we work as a team and are there for each other.

Work Environment - Claims can be stressful, but we have a great management team leading us.

If you are interested in Farmers, I recommend working at one of the FOUR HelpPoints, we are growing, adding 350 new jobs in the next year, with lots of new management spots as well. The HelpPoints are quicker, cheaper and more accurate than any other Farmers operations and are getting new work from the current, and new aquisition companies. Our benefits are not as good as they were two years ago, but between a nice STIP (cash payment), a 6% company matched 401k, HSA yearly seeding (500 or 1000 dollars a year), the cash balance program (free money contributed by Farmers quarterly to a 5% guarenteed account) and a frozen pension plan benefit, I feel very fortunate indeed. I make over twice what my starting pay was just 5 years ago and have more job satisfaction than I have ever had in my life. Many of the complaints on this site come from the field operations, as they seem to be fading a bit, but the sky is the limit in the HelpPoints. The company is very transparent and has made it clear to the endangered operations that if they are mobile, there is opportunities in the HelpPoints.

From MI — 11/07/2009

I love my job and the company that I work for. I started with our company before Zurich took over. Farmers was a great place to work then, and it is still a great place to work. Yes it sucks that they changed some of our benefits, but lets be real, profit sharing and a fully funded pension is a thing of the past.. Period.

Farmers rewards you plenty if you work hard and do what is expected of you. They tell you exactly what you need to do to get the high ranking. And yeah, the goals are hard, but with some hard work, you can get there.

Overall, best place I have ever worked and I plan to stay with the company for the duration of my career.