Work at Family Video — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Family Video pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Family Video

From Gaylord, MI — 02/16/2010

I felt compelled to write a review after reading the obnoxious claims about Family Video. In every negative review I have read it is obvious that the reason people are unhappy with Family Video is because of their own inadequacy. I have worked there for over three years and have been promoted on a timely and well-deserved basis. I am currently an Assistant Manager and receive above-average pay for retail employment as well as insurance benefits, paid holidays, and personal time. I work about 40 hours a week and have never been asked to work off the clock. On the contrary, management has repeatedly reminded us that all time worked at the store must be clocked and paid for. We're not given timed breaks, but have the opportunity to run deposits to the bank (which is usually never more than a couple of miles away) and are encouraged to eat their meals behind the counter. It's very simple to do so since another employee can watch the counter while you are given a chance to eat.

It's true that sales are a crucial part to promotion at Family Video but sales are important in any retail environment. They reward you with commissions for every item you sell and can easily earn an extra 2-3 dollars an hour if you know what you're doing. The statement that we're "just a video store" is an exact reason why Family Video wasn't the job for you. I'm very proud to be an employee and look forward to working almost every day. We're one of the only rental companies that seem to be growing in the last couple of years and we do this by hiring (and maintaining) great employees who are willing to go that extra mile.

From Minnesota — 01/29/2010

I guess I have never had any issues. I have worked at Family Video for 9 months now. I love my job, the customers, my co-workers. Sure, it sucks having to work weekends, but what do you expect when you go to work at a store with primary business hours on the weekends? Pay is decent and in my experience, employees have been rewarded with raises accordingly. The on-call shifts sometimes can be a bit unfair but as soon as any employee had issue with it, my store worked out a policy that seemed to fit everyones opinions a little bit better. I enjoy being at work. Technically there are no breaks, but you are free to relax and eat food during down time. My store treats employees with respect, gives days off, and by no means has offered me (or most people I have worked with) the experience described in many of the other reviews! I love my job!!

From Toledo, Ohio — 12/05/2008

The easiest & fastest way to be promoted in this company is to be cute, small, a little air-headed, & become their "yes" woman. Pay isn't bad, but their is alot of work involed. You put in very long hours as a manager & are only paid when the store is opened. So if you are their an hour earlir to get some of your work done, so you're not overwhelmed when you're opened, managers don't get paid for it the same when they close the store. It can be fun if you have the right people, but alot of them just complain about doing the work rather than just doing it to get it over with. The growth potential is their if you ask for it and don't have a family. You are totally frowned upon if your family comes before Family Video. Most of the employees are competent. They do have a problem with keeping the wrong employees and letting the great ones go. They keep alot of employees that look hot and get customer complaints. The great ones usually don't fit the "standards" & they look for any reason to get rid of them. Respect-ha-you will never have it. Nothing is ever good enough. From how your store looks to your staff to your numbers. My DM talked about all the managers with all the managers. Rarely addressed the problems with them until it was too late if it was discussed it was a blow up scream fest. The stores are so close to each other that you're constantly competing for business. You spend a least an hour on the phone a day doing late calls & assorted telemarketing calls. They always think employees are stealing, every bit of paperwork is dedicated to finding an internal thief-mostly you catch customers that are scamming you for free rentals or removal of late fees. SO if you're bubbly,
cute, & not frumpy-the favorite word to call plus-sized people-this is a job for you!!!!

From Shawnee, Oklahoma — 11/02/2008

After reading the reviews below, I have a few comments to make. First off, you are working for a video store. They are there to make money and you should be thankful because they pay their part timers and full timers above average. As with any retail job...Yes! you are expected to work nights and weekends, but I challenge you to find any decent retail job where that is not expected. They do respect you as long as you are doing your job...which isn't so much to ask. Granted, you do have to earn full time status before you are eligible for fringe benefits, but that is the same with most jobs...and you get a discount on rentals. The job security is perfect! As long as you are okay with actually doing work. No, you don't sit around and talk (like they do in most video stores) and yes, you do have to keep moving! Welcome to a real job! As far as work/life balance, anyone looking to have a fair balance between the two should stay completely out of retail. It just comes with the territory that you are going to work nights and weekends. The growth potential is phenomenal, as long as you are willing to work for it! Location is great (they pride themselves on finding the best locations!) No worries about the co-worker competence. They give you a complicated pre test because they only want employees with inductive and deductive reasoning skills. SO basically, please stop complaining. I am sorry if you were planning on having a job where you didn't have to work.

From toledo — 05/18/2008

I recently took a job with family and am thrilled with with everything. Starting pay is low, however through my own performance, raises were achieved faster than expected and I was quickly promoted to full time. Due to selective hiring one works only with other bright individuals making the job that much better. The company also gives you the freedom to make decisions which is something I truly value. The hours can be difficult but are worth working if you are looking for advancement. In fact, within a 9 month period I have gone from being a part-time employee to being in the management training program and will be running my own store in less than a month from now. Promotion within this company is definitely left in the individuals hands. I love this company