Working at Family Video — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Family Video pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Family Video

From Columbus, OH — 10/19/2010

First of all, I came in the test you had to take as a wonderful way of making sure that employees are competent. When I passed, I felt a sense of pride, but the more I thought about it, the things they were asking me to do don't exactly relate to the job duties of a video store, so why?

I expected the pay to be where it was. I was going to be a part-timer, but I got really excited when I was first hired because the store manager said I would be an "excellent candidate" for the MIT program. My husband and I had just moved to the area and I was excited about the opportunity as it came along so quickly after a move from South Carolina.

So I had a month to show my stuff. I tried to be friendly with employees, find common interest, etc... but let me just tell you that just because I person passes the super hard test to get hired, this does not make them intelligent!! I really felt for some of the people who have posted previously and complained of being mistreated and disrespected. I will explain.

After a month to see if I could handle going in to MIT, I spoke with my manager who said it was time for review. He then proceeded to tell me that I was being fired for not "opening up to coworkers," then proceeded to cover his @ss as much as possible by mumbling, "I don't know, I can't say, I wasn't here for a week," etc... So then this narrowed down quite a bit who it was who might at complained to the DM that I wasn't a good personality match for the job. There was a college guy there I couldn't relate to much because he was quite frankly, rather daft. I can recall one instance when I came in to work and he was at the counter, I commented, "It's so nice outside," his response was "why's that?"........

The second reason given to me was that they received a complaint from a customer that I didn't give them their due dates for the rentals they borrowed. ?!!!!!! So you fire me? Don't talk with me about my FIRST complaint since getting hired, explain to me the importance of always remembering to give due dates clearly to each customer, nope..... the college football player doesn't like so..... YOU'RE FIRED!

Strange when I consider that my sales were great and a year before I had kicked @ss as an employee of a similar company, blockbuster. Yes, they are going under, but at least I was told I was doing a good job when my sales were up, and they bothered to talk to me about things I could improve rather than drop me like back of bricks.

From Wisconsin — 10/12/2010

I've worked with the company for 2 years now, and I can say it's the most fun job I've ever had. I've noticed some people complain about the dress code, but others jobs ask you to wear suits everyday. It's not hard to dress up. Paywise it could be better, but if you make the sales it makes up for whatever pay you have. I make an extra 80-100 at least monthly just from sales, and no I am not full-time or management. I'm just a part-timer averaging 20-30 hours a week. The better your sales, the better probability you'll get scheduled. It also depends on how much a of a revenue your store has. It only has so many hours to give, store manager, assistant, and mit first. There have been a few times I haven't received many hours, but you have to understand there is only so much for payroll they can do.
As for the test, I do believe it can be a little over the top. Most people don't pass. I read somewhere on here about managers changing test scores. This should NOT be happening. I've never ran into a store manager, assistant, or mit, that has EVER changed a score. No matter how bad we want them for the company, if they don't pass they don't pass. I've helped at four other stores besides my own, and all management has been great! For my first interview we barely talked about my past work experience. They asked questions about me, things I do in my free time, ect. It's about personality. You want someone who will mesh well with not only your customers but co-workers. My closest friends are family video employees. We have so much in common, and I've never met nicer, more giving people.
A few people have complained about the break situation. Family Video is a PRIVATELY owned company. It doesn't have to have a 1 hour break; however, you can snack throughout your shift as long as it's kept on the back counter. Just plan accordingly people. It can get to be long days. Honestly though, it's not busy 24/7. There is some time to relax a little. This doesn't mean not doing anything. As long as you're kind of working on something. It's about caring about the company you're working for. If your actions don't show that you are dedicated to being your best, how can you expect hours and respect?
During "holiday" yes, it's hard to find time to have a balance for normal life stuff, but you're in SALES. It's what's expected. Overall, people are throwing so many negatives out there, but I believe that Family Video is honestly a great company. Other jobs I've dreaded going to work, but not in this situation. I look forward to going into work everyday!!

From Oklahoma — 10/10/2010

I have worked for FV for almost 2 years. I was a stay at home mom looking for a PT job. After 3 months I was quickly promoted to ASM, 6 months later to MIT, 3 months later to SM. All of this in just a year! What other company has the ability to promote so quickly? I had an 8 year gap in my employment history from raising 2 kids. When I was applying for jobs before FV they discriminated against me bc of that.
After reading most of these posts (I had to stop because the negative ones were just so far fetched) I felt compelled to give a review. The Oklahoma region is a spectacular one. Most of the managers are very close and supportive of one another. Our regional manager is a very personable guy who honestly cares about your well being. Our district managers are very much the same. They all know that if you are happy, you will be running a good store and they try to keep it that way.
These other posts are from regions that must not have that support system we have. I am very loyal to FV for the opportunities they have given me. Please know that not all stores are ran the same. I would be cautious of the stores posted on this page as you go in to your interview. Also be aware if you were treated ligitimately wrong there is a number for the home office to call. If these problems aren't brought into the open then they will never be solved.

From union city, tn — 09/20/2010

I have worked for FV for a little over 2 years. I LOVE my job! I started out part-time, quickly went to full-time, and then was an Assistant Manager for a year and a half. Then an MIT, and am currently a 2-store manager. I work in an awesome region, and have wonderful support from other store managers, my district manager and my regional manager. I didn't earn their respect from being an a** kisser... I am where I am because I am a dedicated, hard worker and I understand FVs philosophies and want to be part of this amazing company that breaks records every year. We must be doing something right =) I am blessed to have such wonderful job, and wonderful employees that work WITH me, not for me. Having a great team makes such a difference and I hate knowing there are regions out there that make employees feel that they are not wanted or appreciated. Unfortunately, you are going to have bad experiences with any job. It's not for everyone. We expect a lot out of our employees and reward them for their efforts. I have been able to move up quickly with this company and will continue to do so. Nothing excites me more than helping my employees move up as well! As fast as we're growing, we're always hiring and looking for awesome people to be part of this company. If you're looking for a fun, exciting career with room for advancement, then FV is a great choice! And to all you haters.. come to our region, I promise we can change your mind! TEAM KYLE!!!!!

From Missouri — 04/22/2010

I worked at Family Video for 2 1/2 years. I never knew I could love and hate some place at the same time. I started fresh out of high school working part time only a few hours a week. After 6 months I made full time and within a year I was assistant manager of the store. Pay was great. My first regional manager gave all of us .50 raises every six months on the date. Until Levi came along and no one got anything ever. I felt I was respected as an employee. Benefits were great. Great insurance and free rentals was worth it. Job security was nonexistent. Their motto is that we're always hiring because we could always get rid of someone for someone better. Basically if you can't do your job then we'll find someone who will and pay them less. Work/Life balance was fine. It was like every other work environment, people are stupid. You deal with ignorant people all day whether they are customers or coworkers. I was sexually harassed by my manager once when he was actually trying to do his job for once and he wasn't fired just transfered to a different store. Upper management is a bunch of partying drunks. All "meetings" they have consist of them drinking and hooking up with each other.

From Ohio — 04/14/2010

The upper management is unprofessional, inefficient, and quite frankly, annoying.

BRENT, a regional manager, is racist, sexist and has outright said that he does not like overweight employees, and would prefer that they quit.

He acts like a child in person, jumping over things, and talking himself up.
He is afraid of confrontation, so he delegates his discrimination to the store managers or district managers.

From Wisconsin — 04/12/2010

I can't believe how many people dislike working here. I've worked at Family Video for roughly 7 months now. I love it; it's probably my favorite job I've ever worked at. The management is great. My co-workers are awesome, and it's just a great job. If you don't like your job, it's probably just the location you're in.

From Northeast IL — 03/30/2010

Wow. A lot of people trashing the Fam Vid (as we all called it). I managed 5 different stores right out of college (including Glenview which is right next to the home office) and was also key in opening a new location in Westchester. Honestly, the things that people have said on this website can be true! If you are not aggressive about where you want to go in the company, then you will be stuck hitting a ceiling (as is true in ANY company). A lot of the complaints about the work, customers, etc. is true with ANY retail operation. Retail can be a very nasty business! Turnover in any retail job is going to be high. But here is the one very large difference with Family Video - if you show that you have the right skills then they are very good about empowering you to run the store like it's your own business. I did run into a few very bad DM's but was able to voice my concerns and was able to transfer to different stores. Just make sure YOU ask questions during the interview process and make sure you're in a region that is going places. I was able to be very success with them because I hired the right people. And that's what the higher ups always stressed! I did leave the company (mostly because retail was not what I wanted to end up doing) but I look back on my experience as extremely important in my growth to where I am now. If you're looking for a career in retail - or more importantly just getting out of college and you really want to practice your management skills, then I think this is a GREAT company to start with.

From ohio — 03/15/2010

I know that everyone has different experiences working with the same company but I felt it was necessary to stick up for Family Video, because apparently unlike a lot of people who have posted on here, I've had a terrific experience. It is honestly probably the best job I've ever had with keeping in mind that I am a recent college grad and have not yet had a career. I have been with the company for about seven months and have very little bad to say about my job at all.
Honestly, I think the worst part about the job is the nasty people who come into the store. I mean seriously smelly, dirty people with 2 teeth and then try hitting on you because you so obviously want to go on a date with someone who smells and has no teeth. That is my number one complaint, but thats not the company's fault.

Pay: The company starts you out at a little over minimum wage, which isn't terrible. It's probably better than you will find elsewhere in this economy. And it's not hard to get raises. After being there for 6 months I got a 25 cent raise, which isnt amazing or anything, but it's something, which has been my number one complaint at pretty much every single job I've had. The one place I worked for almost 6 years starting right when I was 16, never, not once gave me a raise. So I'm okay with it.

Respect: I've never felt anyone try to belittle me. If I'm doing something wrong, someone will pull me aside and tell me what I did wrong and how to correct it. This is including the assistant manager, store manager, district manager and regional manager. Nobody has ever deliberately embarrassed me or made me feel stupid.

Benefits: I'm only a part timer so I don't really know much about health benefits or anything like that but one thing I really like about the company is the fact that they do treat you like family. A girl who worked at one of our stores locally had been there for about 9 months when her car broke down and she didn't have the money to get it fixed and was about to quit because she didn't have a way to get to work when she was scheduled. The company gave her money to get her car fixed and just took a little out of each paycheck so she would still have enough money to survive. I thought that was amazing! Also, I don't know if you consider this a benefit, but employees can rent any movie for free except for the brand new releases which have just come out within the last 3 to 4 weeks-ish, which makes sense. Also, we can rent the movies that are just about to come out within the next week before it is actually released to the public. Then we get half off of game rentals. Another thing I consider a benefit is our "sales." Anytime we sell a half off card, a rental of the day, an ecommerce order, a rent 3 get 1 free, or a variety of other things, we get commission for it. People complain that it's so hard to do (especially because you CAN get in trouble if your sales are not up to par - we have to have 1 sale in every 10 customers) but if you are offering something to every single customer that comes up to you, it's honestly not that difficult. I'm one of the best salespeople in my district and my trick is as simple as asking every single person. That's what bugs me most about other people's comments, saying they can get fired for not having good sales. It's your own fault. Some days I can go with getting one sale per every 2 people.

Job Security: As long as you are doing okay on your sales and aren't pissing off your coworkers, I'd say your job is pretty safe!

Work/Life Balance: Family Video completely works around my schedule. I was still in school when I first started the job and most of my coworkers are still in school, so they definitely work around our schedules. Also, I coach softball and track at a local high school and they still find ways to schedule me a decent amount of hours while still letting me do what i love: coaching. The only thing I would say negative about this is the fact that we are open 365 days a year, meaning we are open on holidays. My family is huge on the holidays. FV however will pay you time in a half or even double time on major holidays which is a bonus and surprisingly a lot of people take them up on this offer so the people who absolutely do not want to work, don't have to.

Career Potential/Growth: It's fairly easy to move up in the company. If you are a good worker and you ask to be promoted to an asst. or a manager, they will generally start training you to become a manager. However, you must be willing to transfer stores or even move at that. Typically stores only have one manager and one assistant. Also, if you show great potential when you are a part timer, they train you to close, which automatically makes you a keyholder and a shift manager. The next step from being a closer, is becoming an opener, which is more difficult than closing. As I've said, I've been with the company for 7 months and I am already a shift manager, being both an opener and a closer.

Location: This is just me personally, I drive a half hour to get to my store location, which isn't always the most convenient thing for me, but I also view this as my fault. When I was still in school, this store was fairly close to my school, so it wasn't a big deal. Now it kinda sucks. But oh well. If I asked to transfer, I am sure they would oblige, but I love my coworkers and the store I work in.

Co-worker Competence: Before being hired, you have to take a timed test and it's a pretty difficult test. A majority of the people fail it, so to be hired you have to be at least a little competent. I haven't worked with anyone who I just wanted to punch because they were so stupid, so that's a good thing.

Work Environment: I love the store I work in and I love the people I work with and I like doing my job. As I've said this has been my favorite job thus far in my life and if you got a chance, I would recommend this job to anyone!

From Union City — 02/17/2010

At Union City less than two years ago Family Video invaded our town. I say invaded because since then we have put out Blockbuster, Movies to go, a locally owned store, and Movie Gallery in Union City and also a Movie Gallery in a town about 15 min from our store. The pay is average but i love my job. When I first got the job I was thinking it was just a movie store how hard could it be. I was mistaken and found out fast that there was more to it that I thought. There is also alot of opportunities which I have actually thought about with my future marketing degree trying to get in with the headquarters. It could be that our store is always number one in our region and usually in the top 50 of the company and all but one employee is in the top 200 (out of like 6,000) employees, but my experience at Family Video has been great, and I plan to stay for a good bit longer.