Working at Family Heritage Life Insurance Company of America — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Family Heritage Life Insurance Company of America pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Family Heritage Life Insurance Company of America

From Nationwide — 10/08/2010

The agents that actually make it going door to door are slim to none. You hear many success stories but when you average only around 400 agents through the entire US and about 100 new hires in sales school weekly, the numbers don't match. During my first year I was around the top twenty in the company for sales production. I knew I would have to work hard to get their but didn't realize how much you have to give up to get there. I never recruited anyone and wish that when I was recruited I would have actually spent a few days just following an agent and watching what they do. They don't encourage taking people into the field as part of the interview nor giving too much information about the rejection. The renewals, unlimited income, schedule sounded great while interviewing. I was surprised after placing so good in the company and only making around $48,000. Thats what the papers said I made but that is not actually what I took home. You are only given so many months of commission up front, so that year I only took home about $30,000 ( don't forget I still owe taxes) I see new people come and go so fast, that I really feel like before taking this job on and quitting another job because it sounds greener on this side, you want to go out in the field with another agent for a few days and see how it really goes. Don't just jump into going to sales school and getting your license BEFORE getting a true picture. Your old job might not be their when you decide this wasn't for you!

From Amarillo,TX — 03/25/2010

It is a great company to work for. You get to help families in need. Cancer is so prevalent, it is the disease that breaks millionaires. It is so unexpected. I love helping people. When they win, I win!

From Nebraska — 11/25/2009

From the start I was told what to expect so I knew how to be ready for the growth. Both technically and emotionally I grew. In the interview I was shown testimonials of others success and (to be honest) was a little sceptical. What I found was each manager was not only telling me how to be successful, but showing me. I did have to study my ass off to past the insurance test for the state.... and yes, I did memorize what I was told to memorize during sales training. And, I guess, you did see me work hard at making calls and sucking big time. I guess it was when I was selling inspite of myself. My manager/trainer...what ever you call him, was actually beside me... making calls...giving presentations...he made it look easy! Then, he told me that he started just like me; scared, nervous, excited, anxious, stressed...etc. I felt good knowing that I was right on pace to eventially...someday... make it look easy. That support meant everything! Never have I felt that in any other company both public companies and private. I rated the benefits a -1, because they don't directly pay for a group plan. What they do is give you a monthly bonus to compensate for that (lack of a better word) downfall. In my years of selling with family heritage, they have never paid me late! Never had to wait on the phone with the home office for longer than 30sec. All I can do now is try and pay it forward.

From Agents Nationwide — 02/26/2009

This is an opportunity, just like anything else. Bill Gates had an opportunity and so did John Wilkinson. Who is John Wilkinson you may be asking; he is the guy still working for 'that' company as a __________. Either way, we all make choices and all have opportunities presented to us through life. (that is just it... presented! NOT given) If we are able to recognize such an opportunity, it is our choice that determines who we are and what we do.

From Indiana — 11/25/2008

I've been with FH for 1 year and in that year, I earned more than 3x what I was making at a "regular" job. Knocking on doors is not cool- it's not something I grew up dreaming to do, but it's a means to an end. This job has allowed me to pay off 20k+ in debt as well as given me the flexibility to take time off when I want to. I don't have a boss to report to each day because I am my own boss. If you can't handle working without someone over your back- this probably isn't something for you. If you don't like the idea of making 100K knocking on doors, this isn't something for you.

From Broadview Heights, O — 05/16/2008

I have been an agent with Family Heritage Life for the past two and a half years. We do sell policies door-to-door and I'm proud of that fact. I can't tell you how many clients I have that would have never had the opportunity to pick up a cancer policy from me if I hadn't stopped by. My mom has had to use Family Heritage Life's cancer policy and it paid $10,000 in three months as she went through treatment. I understand that there are going to be folks that are disgruntled with the opportunity at FHL but the truth is that this opportunity is what you make of it. It is a hard career. Anything worthwhile is hard. I went from making $28,000 a year selling furniture to making six figures in two and a half years with FHL. Sure I have to get my own health insurance. Every self-employed person does. We own our own our own businesses with this opportunity. Some people can do that and some can't. If your a people person, can work hard, are teachable and enjoy a flexible lifestyle, then you'd be crazy not to at least check this out!

From Ohio — 04/02/2008

Was surfing the net and googled my company, family heritage to see what people were saying about us... I'm sure every company out there, big or small has people who like and dislike the opportunity. I've worked with Family Heritage now for almost three years. It's not just a job, it's a career and a lifestyle.
I rate the pay as a 5 because any experienced salesperson will tell you that the only way to max out your income opportunity is to be paid a straight commission, not to mention your income goes up every year because of contract increases and renewals. Also the stock and monthly/weekly bonuses help. They won a "stevie" award for best incentive program last year. The respect that the company gives is great. At meetings and conventions the managers and vps, even the ceo will come up to me and ask how my family is doing and such.
Benefits I rate as a 0 because there are none. Instead, they give me cash bonuses every month based on my sales so i can choose my own insurance.
the job security is a 5 because the company has never downsized and duh, insurance is a growing industry.
Work/life balance is a 3, it offers a flexible schedule but we do have some push weeks where we travel from home.
Advancement/Growth is great as just in my third year i've been promoted 4 times.
Location is a five because you can do this anywhere in the country.
Co-worker competence is a 3, while we do work with some yahoos sometimes, we also get to work with some of the most polished professionals in the industry. They won a "stevie" award in 2006 for best trained sales force in the insurance industry.
Work Environment is 1 because ya we knock on doors (most of my sales are on referrals tho) and sometimes visit farms, who wouldn't rather work in an air conditioned or fully heated office. Those people are in the accounting department, processing claims and figuring out other ways to market these products. They might rank work enviorment higher, but what they WILL NOT rank higher is-pay, job security, work/life balance (no thanks to the 9-5), career potential/growth, location (rather live in georgia than cleveland).
If you're not just looking for a place you can get a paycheck, if you're actually looking for an opportunity to earn what your worth with a company that will train you, in a growing industry, this is the place for you.

From Evansville, Indiana — 07/27/2007

I've been with FHL for almost 2 years, and have loved it all the way. I agree with most of what the previous reviewer stated. I have been out marketing our products with many of the home office staff from Cleveland, including the President and one of the Senior V.P.'s. Training, compensation, and opportunity is unmatched. Check it out!

From Nationwide — 07/24/2007

I found this site, looking for ways for my clients to drop their Aflac policies. All I found were some very unhappy Aflac employees. Some mention the straight commission as a negative thing, but my thought is, you never will be paid exactly what you are worth, unless you work straight commission. I am an independent agent for Family Heritage Life. I rated the pay as 5, because there is no limit to how much money you can make, and I make more money than I have ever made in my life. Aflac commentors mentioned a lack of training, or poor training. There isn't a catagory here to rate training, but I have to say the training at FHL is excellent. There is a week long Sales School, but your manager DOES come work with you, whenever needed. In fact, the President of the company regularlly works side by side with our agents. I put 0 for benefits, because we are self employed, so pay our own, like any other self employed person does. I never worry about my job securtiy, I put 3 for work/life balance, because that is entirely up to you. I drive myself pretty hard, but there is no one to blame but me, for that! I can't say enought good things about the company. I have never worked in such a possitive environment, never had such consistant support. I get a commission with advance, a residual income, am fully vested in 5 years, PLUS stock! All of you disgruntled Aflac people, check us out...we are what you were hoping Aflac was.